• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortballking

Herbert Moran (7)
This weekends fixtures are looking to be a great round of rugby with newington vs joeys, shore vs kings and the two power houses view vs scots!

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Have now uploaded 25mins video footage of Scots v Newington [took 12hrs to upload cos it's 3.88GB!]
[also on this youtube channel is footage of Scots v Cranbrook, Shore v Scots, & New v View]

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
Amongst all this hysteria is the real story of a weekend in GPS rugby in cameo:

One GPS 1st XV school team who for variety of reasons dropped their bundle against a champion team and will want to forget and another who showed they are not just a team of champions but also a champion team by coming back with the game seemingly over and lost and a big crowd of Shore supporters running on to the ground congratulating and hugging their players,who were able to pull themselves together amidst all this and from a kick off allowed by the ref who fortunately knew the real game time , score in about the last 5 minutes with an extraordinary team effort and win 26-19 after a conversion and were bombarding shores line when the whistle did blow..This is the stuff that dreams are made of..Those players in that side will remember and talk about that 5 minutes for the rest of their lives.A phenomenal effort.Highest congratulations are in order.
Also look at Joeys they came back from a very hard fought loss the week before to a win-that's guts and culture and positive coaching.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ummmm... What are they going to get into Uni with?
Bells and Whistles? Beads?
There is something called an ATAR that the fine young professional Rugby players you wish to manufacture NEED to get in to Tertiary Education.

Oh, Name me some other "Likeminded" schools too please?

That is so ignorant its ridiculous.
I have a friend whose son is part of this Scots side, his son's education is the primary focus a together with having his son turn out a good person.
This is the same parent that pulled his son out of club rugby one season a few years ago because his grades were not where they should have been.

I also know some of the other boys, who are putting in quite the effort towards their education and HSC.

Sorry (although its not my place to apologise) if they are better than your school at Rugby (hell they beat my affiliated school by 101 points), but thats just it they are better and although you maynot be able to cope with it some are actually pretty smart as well.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
That is so ignorant its ridiculous.
I have a friend whose son is part of this Scots side, his son's education is the primary focus a together with having his son turn out a good person.
This is the same parent that pulled his son out of club rugby one season a few years ago because his grades were not where they should have been.

I also know some of the other boys, who are putting in quite the effort towards their education and HSC.

Sorry (although its not my place to apologise) if they are better than your school at Rugby (hell they beat my affiliated school by 101 points), but thats just it they are better and although you maynot be able to cope with it some are actually pretty smart as well.
Hi Ted. :)

Hope all is well in your world. :)
If you reread what I replied to, you may understand why I went back at this diatribe. The reason I sent my sons to MY school was for and EDUCATION FIRST and FOREMOST. But to say that "the most advanced rugby program will afford these athletes a place at NSW or Syd" is THE MOST IGNORANT and OBNOXIOUS piece that has been placed on this blog in quite awhile.
I also have a mates son and a lovely young man whose acquaintance I am glad to have made in the Scots side.
These young blokes will all hopefully turn out to be a good person.
It is not the man I am playing here Ted.

I am playing the grubby shadows that have created this situation

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
and apologies firstly as maybe you copped my annoyance at some other posts regarding the Scots boys not worrying about their ATARs.
I whole heartedly agree with you regarding the topic "the rugby program will get them into university"
As yourself I selected the school for my sons on criteria based on education and environment and had nothing to do with rugby

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hi Ted. :)

But to say that "the most advanced rugby program will afford these athletes a place at NSW or Syd" is THE MOST IGNORANT and OBNOXIOUS piece that has been placed on this blog in quite awhile

BW, the piece that seems to have set your pacemaker haywire and given you a terrible attack of CAPS LOCK (get well soon) had some silly things in it. But the bit you almost quote here (he actually said something a little different) can't be classed as ignorant. The truth is that most universities (including that sports powerhouse Macquarie) give elite athletes an ATAR boost which can be as generous as 5 points. Now, whether this is obnoxious is a proper subject for debate. If I got 99 point something and missed the last place in Arts Law because someone on 94 point something played Rugby for NSW Schools 2nds, I might have an attack of CAPS LOCK myself. It does happen, though, so we can't pretend that school sporting performance has no relevance to university entrance.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Couldn't agree more to some of these comments, i dont want to dig to far into the area regarding the "unspoken word", we all know it and we're all thinking it, COME ON RIVERVIEW! Teach these Scots boys a lesson, not the 1st XV the higher up "boys" Principle and what not. Teach them the fact you cant buy a team, you have to earn it, you have to build and develop what you have, because i guarantee you the schools that put this effort in (Joeys) see the rewards in their players performances. Joeys developed Nick Duffy who was playing 4ths last year to become an Australian School Boy, hours of dedication and faith from the school and he has shown what he is capable off. What happened to team spirit and integrity, team loyalty, school passion. What happened to the days when you were in the 13's and 14's age groups looking up at the 1st players saying i want to be one of them. <edited>

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort awesome!

You sure have a way with words, and impressed with both your ability to both amuse and bite.

Agree with big jake ... Focus on the positives of the weekend.

Newspapers thrive off hysteria and the quality of journalism is IMHO embarrassing.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
BW, the piece that seems to have set your pacemaker haywire and given you a terrible attack of CAPS LOCK (get well soon) had some silly things in it. But the bit you almost quote here (he actually said something a little different) can't be classed as ignorant. The truth is that most universities (including that sports powerhouse Macquarie) give elite athletes an ATAR boost which can be as generous as 5 points. Now, whether this is obnoxious is a proper subject for debate. If I got 99 point something and missed the last place in Arts Law because someone on 94 point something played Rugby for NSW Schools 2nds, I might have an attack of CAPS LOCK myself. It does happen, though, so we can't pretend that school sporting performance has no relevance to university entrance.
dont worry the bonus points are not given in courses where you have to be really clever like medicine but only in relatively non competitive easier courses at Uni

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just for the record ...I am going for riverview ..always go the underdog... Boof.

But it's like... when my daughter who is a very good tennis player, gets flogged 6 -0 6-0 by a freak (with the crazy russian father) at the c/ships, doesn't really phase either of us ... Just have to laugh ... It ain't that important after all

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
I like this idea. Based on numbers of wins across the day, Scots would have still won the day two weeks ago against Shore, however, it was definitely a much closer contest. Also if would create a feeling amongst all the boys (especially in the lower grades) that they are all contributing to the greater cause. Every game counts even the 13F's. Joeys would absolutely kill everyone in such a competition, which just goes to show the depth and strength of their rugby program.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
For some of these fine young charges you discuss, 40 points bonus will serve them nothing ala US system. 5 points is not the free path that has been described before. You have to have raw material to work with (a brain) to at least do well in an Australian Uni. And caps lock has been cured.Now to work on perentheses paralysis (as above) :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I like this idea. Based on numbers of wins across the day, Scots would have still won the day two weeks ago against Shore, however, it was definitely a much closer contest. Also if would create a feeling amongst all the boys (especially in the lower grades) that they are all contributing to the greater cause. Every game counts even the 13F's. Joeys would absolutely kill everyone in such a competition, which just goes to show the depth and strength of their rugby program.

I don't mind the idea but my reservation is that is puts too much emphasis on winning - there is a reason there are no competitions in the ages.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
By the time they hit high school the boys generally are keeping tabs of the score sheet anyway. They are all trying to win their games. As long as the competition is not over hyped up, I feel it could build a real group bond amongst all the players. I know that in rowing, many schools try to build a overall shed mentality. It doesn't matter if you row for the 1st IV or the 7th IV, you are all part of one big team.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
By the time they hit high school the boys generally are keeping tabs of the score sheet anyway. They are all trying to win their games. As long as the competition is not over hyped up, I feel it could build a real group bond amongst all the players. I know that in rowing, many schools try to build a overall shed mentality. It doesn't matter if you row for the 1st IV or the 7th IV, you are all part of one big team.

They have junior and senior pointscores in rowing I think (but it all takes place a long way away from cheering parents etc and I've not heard a lot complaints about the umpires in rowing - see earlier posts in this thread), but I'm afraid in the present climate I just don't share your faith about the bolded bit.
Better the informal ledger kept on GGR - which leads to its own controversies anyway.
Maybe the world has passed me by.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
From my discussions with New and Scots parents and from watching the youtube video posted on this thread, I heard and saw many a dropped ball and missed tackles by New and some very skilful play by the Scots backs. There were some great clear outs, but no one was saying they monstered New at the breakdown and they held their own in the scrums. The majority of the tries were scored through great backline work.

I didn't see or hear that Scots were so physically dominant to cause "safety concerns" as Nick Farr Jones put it. Given Farr Jones role as chairman of NSWRU, he should have know better to open his mouth when he admits he hadn't even seen the game. Both Farr Jones and Kearns can hardly be seen to be impartial, given they are both New old boys and we heard nothing from them about last years New 1st XV, who I think were significantly bigger than Scot's team this year.

Farr Jones should clean up his own back year and focus on the stacking of players in the Shute Shield particularly at Sydney Uni , before sticking his nose into the GPS competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.