• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
Don't know if I'd be too carried away by the grammar win over joeys thirds. It was far from a strong joeys team there are a lot of injuries and disruptions. Dylan grant who normally plays higher grades was going to return through thirds after a month off with injury but came back in seconds the joeys backline was under strength a couple of forwards were out and a couple more played in higher grades. Joeys did lead 12 nil before penalties yellow and red cards played havoc. Could grammar play seconds? Perhaps, but I doubt they'd trouble too many teams.

Yup. you only had 180 kids in opens to fill in. To the credit of the Joey's boys, the Joey's captain was considerably more magnaminous than this carping post at the after match function.

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
Scots were outstanding and the 12 is a great talent. His, and the no 15, return certainly bolstered this already impressive team.

Hard to see anyone beating them on this form. Kings worked hard and held Scots for much of the first half but the relentless waves of Scots attack overwhelmed the Kings defence in the second stanza.

A pleasure to see such great attacking rugby played in good spirit.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I wonder if anyone is brave enough to forecast the thirds?

At the moment, we have Grammar, TAS and Scots on 10, Riverview on 7, High, Joeys and Shore on 6. Grammar, TAS and High have the bye up their sleeve.

Next weekend TAS plays High in Armidale, then View in Sydney. On paper, TAS should win against both, but I wouldn't count on it. SBH often seems to lift in Armidale, there is quite considerable if friendly rivalry between the two schools, while View always has the capacity to upset.

Its all so close that the permutations quite bedevil this tired end work day brain!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wonder if anyone is brave enough to forecast the thirds?

At the moment, we have Grammar, TAS and Scots on 10, Riverview on 7, High, Joeys and Shore on 6. Grammar, TAS and High have the bye up their sleeve.

Next weekend TAS plays High in Armidale, then View in Sydney. On paper, TAS should win against both, but I wouldn't count on it. SBH often seems to lift in Armidale, there is quite considerable if friendly rivalry between the two schools, while View always has the capacity to upset.

Its all so close that the permutations quite bedevil this tired end work day brain!

I'm making no tips - too difficult. I think any school can beat any other: its just like the 1s used to be.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Grammar is Bye, Shore, High

Thanks, IS. Then that should mean Grammar on 16 points. It's interesting, and its part of the tense nature of the competition, that TAS should be on sixteen points too. On this basis, it comes back to who Scots is playing and whether they can get to 16. The best that View can hope to do is 13 points, High, Joeys and Shore 12.

If TAS and Grammar lose their last two games, the bye will put them on 12 points. If View wins their last three games, they go to 13 points. The only way that View can win is for them to win all three, Scots, TAS & Grammar to lose all three.

Assuming my maths is correct, that's a tad unlikely. It's really sudden death now for the top three in the thirds. They have to win all their games and hope that someone else loses. The most likely outcome is two and possibly three teams on the same points. That's close! For and against?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thanks, IS. Then that should mean Grammar on 16 points. It's interesting, and its part of the tense nature of the competition, that TAS should be on sixteen points too. On this basis, it comes back to who Scots is playing and whether they can get to 16. The best that View can hope to do is 13 points, High, Joeys and Shore 12.

If TAS and Grammar lose their last two games, the bye will put them on 12 points. If View wins their last three games, they go to 13 points. The only way that View can win is for them to win all three, Scots, TAS & Grammar to lose all three.

Assuming my maths is correct, that's a tad unlikely. It's really sudden death now for the top three in the thirds. They have to win all their games and hope that someone else loses. The most likely outcome is two and possibly three teams on the same points. That's close! For and against?
I think it's shared if there are equal points.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
The fixtures for Round 8 (the school listed first has the home game):

1st XV:
View v Joeys
New v Kings
Scots v Shore

Round 7 3rd XV:
View v Joeys
New v Kings
Scots v Shore
High v TAS
Grammar has the bye.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Round 7 3rd XV:
View v Joeys
New v Kings
Scots v Shore
High v TAS
Grammar has the bye.

Round 8 3rd XV:
Joeys v Kings
View v TAS
New v Scots
Shore v Grammar
High has the bye.

Round 9 3rd XV:
Joeys v New
Scots v View
Kings v Shore
High v Grammar
TAS has the bye.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
My prediction for the 3rd's Comp:

Grammar with the bye this week, will win against Shore. The round 9 away game against High (coming off a bye) is looking to be an absolute thriller, but it will be a Grammar victory. Grammar will take out the premiership on 16 points.

I reckon TAS will lose this week to High and win against View, with the final round a bye, which will put them on 14 points.

Scots should win their next two games against Shore and New respectively, but View will spoil their party and upset them in round 9. Scots to share runners-up with TAS on 14 points.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My prediction for the 3rd's Comp:

Grammar with the bye this week, will win against Shore. The round 9 away game against High (coming off a bye) is looking to be an absolute thriller, but it will be a Grammar victory. Grammar will take out the premiership on 16 points.

I reckon TAS will lose this week to High and win against View, with the final round a bye, which will put them on 14 points.

Scots should win their next two games against Shore and New respectively, but View will spoil their party and upset them in round 9. Scots to share runners-up with TAS on 14 points.

I'd love to think you are right but I think the best Grammar can hope for is a 3 way tie because I just don't think TSC or TAS are going to lose.
That said SBHS always lift for Grammar and this may be their last game on McKay - I am told that the Centennial Parklands Trust has refused to renew their lease - so even more than the usual motivation, perhaps.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Back in the dim dark ages of Round 2 it appears that the AAGPS website results for the Scots V Kings 1st XV match don't show who scored for Kings on the day. Assume it was two tries and a conversion. Any ideas?? Names??

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Back in the dim dark ages of Round 2 it appears that the AAGPS website results for the Scots V Kings 1st XV match don't show who scored for Kings on the day. Assume it was two tries and a conversion. Any ideas?? Names??

I believe it was - D. Ballantyne, Laferia tries; J. Kane con

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'd love to think you are right but I think the best Grammar can hope for is a 3 way tie because I just don't think TSC or TAS are going to lose.
That said SBHS always lift for Grammar and this may be their last game on McKay - I am told that the Centennial Parklands Trust has refused to renew their lease - so even more than the usual motivation, perhaps.

An absolute disgrace if the CPT kick High off McKay Sports Ground. Typical petty bureaucrats.:mad:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The fixtures for Round 8 (the school listed first has the home game):

1st XV:
View v Joeys
New v Kings
Scots v Shore

Round 7 3rd XV:
View v Joeys
New v Kings
Scots v Shore
High v TAS
Grammar has the bye.

I'm tipping Joeys this week to beat Riverview - I think they're due for a win
New to beat Kings
Scots over Shore

3rds
Joeys
New
Shore
High

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm tipping Joeys this week to beat Riverview - I think they're due for a win
New to beat Kings
Scots over Shore

3rds
Joeys
New
Shore
High

Agree QH with a win by Joeys not unexpected.

Scots to beat Shore and Kings over New in the 3rds.

Whilst the AAGPS may allocate joint or co premiers I can assure you that the boys in the 3rds comp are all looking at the for and against and with Scots already having a bye they will look for points in their remaining three matches (assuming they win). Grammar have the bye this week and with the TAS bye still to come, it does make for a very interesting comp JB.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Agree QH with a win by Joeys not unexpected.

Scots to beat Shore and Kings over New in the 3rds.

Whilst the AAGPS may allocate joint or co premiers I can assure you that the boys in the 3rds comp are all looking at the forIt does indeed, and against and with Scots already having a bye they will look for points in their remaining three matches (assuming they win). Grammar have the bye this week and with the TAS bye still to come, it does make for a very interesting comp JB.

It does indeed, Jasdec. Love it! :) Its not just the boys who are looking at the for and against. Now that the full draw has been posted here I can play a bit. But not tonight. I have a book to finish!

Status
Not open for further replies.