• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
There will be plenty of grazing room at Stanmore today on the sideline. The sad fact that the boys from Bellevue don't travel beyond the Kings Cross tunnel to support their finely fed lads. Even sadder is the small turn out seen on the side of the hill at Stanmore from the Wyvern boys. Two exclu$ive teams deserve a bigger crowd

I am worried about the long term viability (i.e. crowd pulling) of GPS rugby. If Joker is right, a small crowd at the premier game of the season bodes ill for the future of the game at this level.
Other aspects need to be taken into account too, I know. However there are only 3 GPS 1sts games on each Saturday, and the gap between top and bottom teams appears to be locked in for some seasons to come. This is not an attractive position to encourage spectators to come to the games for the rugby itself. Compulsory attendance for some schoolboys; parents and friends; selectors of rep teams; if these are the only sideline viewers then the beauty of GPS rugby will end up being watched by just a few.
That is sad in my humble opinion.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
There will be plenty of grazing room at Stanmore today on the sideline. The sad fact that the boys from Bellevue don't travel beyond the Kings Cross tunnel to support their finely fed lads. Even sadder is the small turn out seen on the side of the hill at Stanmore from the Wyvern boys. Two exclu$ive teams deserve a bigger crowd

I am worried about the long term viability (i.e. crowd pulling) of GPS rugby. If Joker is right, a small crowd at the premier game of the season bodes ill for the future of the game at this level.
Other aspects need to be taken into account too, I know. However there are only 3 GPS 1sts games on each Saturday, and the gap between top and bottom teams appears to be locked in for some seasons to come. This is not an attractive position to encourage spectators to come to the games for the rugby itself. Compulsory attendance for some schoolboys; parents and friends; selectors of rep teams; if these are the only sideline viewers then the beauty of GPS rugby will end up being watched by just a few.
That is sad in my humble opinion.
I agree FF (Folau Fainga'a). I know a few parents and old boys who would ordinarily attend the New v Scots game, but are going to the Joeys v View game, given the intense rivalry and history of the encounter. Also lots going to the Bledisloe Cup tonight and for some bizarre reason that is beyond me, watching more than one game of rugby in a day is too much for them and so they are bunkered down at home or the pub. Let's hope it is just an anomaly given other events on today and tonight.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
TAS 24 Kings 3rds 5

Good hard rugby spoilt by cheap shots by Kings players. Attitude of Kings not wanting to come to Armidale was palpable, disrespectful and a disgrace. Only have to come once every two years and could only bring half the normal teams. All the other GPS schools have been tremendous by comparison.

I can't comment on the accuracy of this. I wasn't there. The official program shows ten King's teams. Were there some no-shows? The games were clearly very compressed, with all games fitted into just over three hours, with the Thirds/Firsts playing at 10:15. The open King's boys started breakfast at 8:20, twenty minutes after the first games started.

hollowman

Peter Burge (5)
I can't comment on the accuracy of this. I wasn't there. The official program shows ten King's teams. Were there some no-shows? The games were clearly very compressed, with all games fitted into just over three hours, with the Thirds/Firsts playing at 10:15. The open King's boys started breakfast at 8:20, twenty minutes after the first games started.

Thanks I have double checked my facts. Just the 3rds game was a no show by Kings. All games brought forward reportedly to suit Kings travel back to Sydney to watch Bledisloe. No interest in the normal after game function. I standby my comments about "attitude".

Status
Not open for further replies.