• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Side

Bob McCowan (2)
Alec Sheldon is a real talent and he played strongly in the GPS Blue v GPS White game last year. He handles 10 & 12 very well.

OfficialPirrodi

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm not exactly sure on how selection works for the CHS rep teams, but I know that a High Boy (Sam Musgrove, #8) played for them two days ago, and played pretty well. Obviously a good sign for High and by extension the GPS.

Surely this makes him a frontrunner for selection in any combined GPS team? I don't think he played in the Scots trial, and he was at Outside Centre in the team that was convincingly beaten by Sydney Grammar a couple weeks beforehand (40-0).

Nectarphiliac

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm not exactly sure on how selection works for the CHS rep teams, but I know that a High Boy (Sam Musgrove, #8) played for them two days ago, and played pretty well. Obviously a good sign for High and by extension the GPS.

Surely this makes him a frontrunner for selection in any combined GPS team? I don't think he played in the Scots trial, and he was at Outside Centre in the team that was convincingly beaten by Sydney Grammar a couple weeks beforehand (40-0).

OfficialPirrodi, if you're going to use someone's name for an account make sure you spell their surname correctly.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
While I think Joeys would have to be favorites at this stage, like all teams, the are still vulnerable in some areas. If I was an opposition coach, I'd be getting my players to run at their 5/8 on turnover ball before joeys get a chance to shift him to the wing (as they do on all set-piece defensive plays). While he is an explosive runner I have some concerns about his tackling technique.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I would be very surprised if Simpson from Joeys doesn't end up as the 7 for gps 1's or 2's. He was very strong for joeys last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

If he's already playing CHS can he be selected in a GPS team?

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Just being honest (& yes I am a Joeys dad) but I have just heard that Scots 15s will not be fielding a side against Joeys next weekend due to a camp?

What a shame that is & how is it that you can thumb your nose at the competition? I apologise in advance if there is good reason for doing so.

But what is perhaps a bigger joke is that not one person in the so called prestigious AAGPS keeps an official record of the table of all younger age groups. Is it because we are now in an age of "it's not about winning"? Why is it that Bathurst, Dubbo & Orange etc keep a track of results in primary school? Can't wait to see what happens when these young men from all schools get in the real world & find out that it's not a shame to give it your all & lose (graciously & suffer disappointment) & win (with humility). That is one of life's lessons I would have thought.

I guess I am disappointed because Scots have a very good side & have a very good chance of beating our boys (as do a number of other schools - it's going to be very close with no clear favourite).

Scots had a brilliant first XV last year & yet they made sure they didn't miss a game then so I am hoping that somebody can explain this stance.

Perhaps it's time to bring in CAS because if they are keen & want to be part of the competition why should we stop it. Regardless of whether they are better or not, then how would be that a bad thing if they want to commit?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just being honest (& yes I am a Joeys dad) but I have just heard that Scots 15s will not be fielding a side against Joeys next weekend due to a camp?

What a shame that is & how is it that you can thumb your nose at the competition? I apologise in advance if there is good reason for doing so.

But what is perhaps a bigger joke is that not one person in the so called prestigious AAGPS keeps an official record of the table of all younger age groups. Is it because we are now in an age of "it's not about winning"? Why is it that Bathurst, Dubbo & Orange etc keep a track of results in primary school? Can't wait to see what happens when these young men from all schools get in the real world & find out that it's not a shame to give it your all & lose (graciously & suffer disappointment) & win (with humility). That is one of life's lessons I would have thought.

I guess I am disappointed because Scots have a very good side & have a very good chance of beating our boys (as do a number of other schools - it's going to be very close with no clear favourite).

Scots had a brilliant first XV last year & yet they made sure they didn't miss a game then so I am hoping that somebody can explain this stance.

Perhaps it's time to bring in CAS because if they are keen & want to be part of the competition why should we stop it. Regardless of whether they are better or not, then how would be that a bad thing if they want to commit?

Scots didn't field a 15As last week against Newington either. They have half of their Year 9 away at Glengarry for two terms each, so often have a problem fielding 15s teams. This has been going on for at least 15 years, 2015 is no different. Scots may have had a good 14s team last year and may well have a good 16s team next year, but rarely, if ever, will they have a strong 15s team.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scots didn't field a 15As last week against Newington either. They have half of their Year 9 away at Glengarry for two terms each, so often have a problem fielding 15s teams. This has been going on for at least 15 years, 2015 is no different. Scots may have had a good 14s team last year and may well have a good 16s team next year, but rarely, if ever, will they have a strong 15s team.
True. And this question gets asked and answered each year. It seems.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^^^Scots 15s played Newington 15Ds last week and lost. What possible value would it be for Joeys 15As to play a team that was beaten by New 15Ds?

Don't despair Joeys 15A parents, I hear that you're playing St Augustine's 15As, you may well get the competitive match that you crave.;)

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes that is true & we have been beaten many times by them before & in the current circumstances would be a much better option. However, did anyone ever once stop & consider that some kids in the 15Ds (or lower team whatever they are) might actually enjoy the chance to play on Number 1 at SJC & take on a stronger side? Some would view this an opportunity in life & learn from it (as happens outside of rugby) & once in a thousand times the weaker team might even beat the As & what a story that would be.

However, you miss the point - it's called a competition for a reason - obviously not the Scots kids' fault they are away but the GPS comp is weaker for it & this is effectively regarded as a forfeit (or perhaps a 'no-show') which is not a good look for anyone - Scots is certainly better than that. If we have schools doing what they like when they like, then the 'competition' which seems to be a dirty word these days, slowly becomes a farce.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Yes that is true & we have been beaten many times by them before & in the current circumstances would be a much better option. However, did anyone ever once stop & consider that some kids in the 15Ds (or lower team whatever they are) might actually enjoy the chance to play on Number 1 at SJC & take on a stronger side? Some would view this an opportunity in life & learn from it (as happens outside of rugby) & once in a thousand times the weaker team might even beat the As & what a story that would be.

However, you miss the point - it's called a competition for a reason - obviously not the Scots kids' fault they are away but the GPS comp is weaker for it & this is effectively regarded as a forfeit (or perhaps a 'no-show') which is not a good look for anyone - Scots is certainly better than that. If we have schools doing what they like when they like, then the 'competition' which seems to be a dirty word these days, slowly becomes a farce.
HTR, I think that the point of what school sport is all about is being missed. I'm finished as a schoolboy parent, but still love to watch and support schoolboy rugby, because it is the quickest, cleanest and purest form of the game IMHO. Having been through I can remember being pretty wound up through those mid under ages, but believe me it gets way more serious in the opens. There is actually not a comp in those ages as you refer to it as. There are no tables, trophies etc like in the opens. The schools have been around for over 150 yrs and their correct position is that sport is about the all round development of the student. It is not about who wins the comp, not that there is one in the 15's. In all sports schools recognise an unbeaten team whether A's or H's, they don't recognise you that you think you won a non existent comp. when your son reaches the opens and you get a sense of the commitment and time and effort that those involved put into trying to win an actual competition, you will look back on his time in the under ages and just be thrilled he played some great footy, had a great time, with little pressure, and made a lot friends that have rugby as their common interest.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Kids of a 15D's standard v any 15a's would be a mismatch.people get hurt when they are physically mismatched.
Schools have a duty of care.
If you want your 15D kid to play on the main and be humiliated or hurt,there's something wrong with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.