• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Round 9 beckons!

image.jpg

With the 1st XV Premiership ladder suddenly looking congested, all matches this weekend are key matchups! All will bear in some way or t'other on end of Season chocolates.

We'll see 1st v equal 3rd (S v J); 2nd v another equal 3rd (K v I); and 6th v yet another equal 3rd (E v N).

Only a successful tipping combo this weekend of a Scots' win at home (over Joeys) and a Kings' loss at home (to View) will finish this year's Premiership race as the red-hot contest among the many that it is. All other outcomes will have players, coaches, students, parents and spectators frothing all the way to the finish of the following weeks' Round 10 matches.

So, expect mobile phone plans to be in melt-down this Saturday as progress and results are checked and re-checked around the grounds.

Scots v Joeys - Match of the Round

Scots can make all other results fade into mathematical hypotheticals by booking a win over the JoeBoys in Scots' last home game this Season.

But that is a task far easier said, than done.

Joeys are the form side of the Comp in the second half of the Season. Since Round 6, they are 3 from 3; the only undefeated team; scoring 90pts at an average of 30pts/game, and as many tries (13) in their last 3 games as they did in all games combined in the first half of the Season.

Scots' D will have to step up across the board from their last outing at Newington, holding their line through the three-quarters and out on the edges if they're to have a chance against Joeys' potent backline, playing in superb form, post-Reps.

This'll be a blockbuster, and here's hoping the whole Scots' student body, plus parents, old boys and all other supporters turn up enmasse to lend their all to Harry Todd's 2016 band of brothers in Gold. Guaranteed, with Joeys' revival giving them a sniff of some 2016 glory, the Cerise & Blue hoards will descend on BH in their thousands, in full voice!

Hand on heart, Scots by a whisker in what should be 'epic'!

Kings v Iggies

Another massive game. Two former front-runners, who since last they played each other in Round 4 both as undefeated teams, almost perversely, have managed just 2 wins between them combined from their last 8 starts, with tries having become a bit of a scarce resource for both.

Kings, on 5 Wins, has the slenderest of Win/Loss advantages, with View on their 4 Wins, now together with Joeys and New. Depending on the Bellevue Hill outcome, the winner at North Parramatta this week will at least have the chance to remain in the hunt for Season 2016 chockies.

Iggies got up at home in Round 4; oddly enough, their most recent win. The Kingsmen, at home this time around, will have plenty of "get square" motivating them.

With so much work behind them, and their Seasons on the line, expect plenty of nerves to be jangling out at JS White Oval come 3:15pm this Saturday; both out in the middle and around the ground. Like the HSC English and other Trials this week, it'll be no place for the faint of heart. Everything that 1st XV Schoolboy Rugby should be!

Kings to put it all on the line in front of their faithful, or expire in the attempt. Kings by 3pts.

Shore v Newington

Can Shore repeat their emotion-filled victory at home last week, with a follow-up over New on Saturday? Or having banked the milestone, have Shore already played their own virtual 'grand final'?

Newington are certain to rumble with a thousand pick-and-drives, controlling the ball until they're ready to unleash through their backs. 'If it ain't broke, then...?'

A win to New, which the Black & White army and I both expect, will keep New in with a sniff, to face off in a blockbuster at home against Joeys in the final Round. But if Shore jump out to an early lead as they did last week against View, then clearly, they have the jatz-crackers to front-run it home again.

Good luck to all the boys this weekend and next for their last couple of games, and best wishes and go hard to all those sitting their HSC Trials. Thank goodness the rest of us only have the Rugby to distract us!

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 9 beckons!

Kings v Iggies

Another massive game. Two former front-runners, who since last they played each other in Round 4 both as undefeated teams, almost perversely, have managed just 2 wins between them combined from their last 8 starts, with tries having become a bit of a scarce resource for both.

Actually CJ, Kings are 2 from the last 4 starts...having beaten Shore and Newington since the round 4 lapse against the Jesuits.

JuanBarn

Herbert Moran (7)
Thats a maths word problem there.
Two former front-runners, who since last they played each other in Round 4 both as undefeated teams, almost perversely, have managed just 2 wins between them combined from their last 8 starts, with tries having become a bit of a scarce resource for both.

Actually CJ, Kings are 2 from the last 4 starts.having beaten Shore and Newington since the round 4 lapse against the Jesuits.

Seems you are both correct with Iggies having lost their last four games.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^
Indeed we are @JB.
I was just trying to flag how much has changed since these two front-runners, both undefeated back in Round 4 when they first met, but with "just 2 wins combined" from their collective last 8 starts. And Yes, Az, agreed, those 2 W's were both Kings'.
It's been an enormous shift across the last few Rounds in terms of Premiership momentum, with Joeys now with the most oomph (3-0) followed by New and Scots (both 2-1); quite the turnabout from the first "half" of the Season.
So much for them both to play for out at Nth Parra on Saturday! ;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Simmonson as decided to leave the Newington rugby program to pursue his league career. Union can't seem to stop the bleeding in to the NRL. A real talent lost.

funny you should mention it....at a loose end yesterday so I watched the Bunnies to see how Angus Crichton went.
He seldom touched the ball. Playing on the right side his job seemed to be to try and convince his opponents that the ball might come right from the play the ball. it never did. i don't think he touched the ball other than to run back kicks - which as we all know happen every 5 tackles or so.
Anyone who wants to go and play that game having tasted the beauty of this one should probably be protected from themselves by court order, perceived unfair selections notwithstanding.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
well done Shore ... a much deserved win

and presumably without Rixon ... their tear-away

some one told me .... on the weekend .... that under that Shore grandstand is a space big enough to kick a football, play cricket ... and that there are dedicated change rooms for 1sts, 2nds AND 3rds.

The Waratahs would be envious.

Possibly this bloke was pulling my leg ... but I was thinking of asking him if they were working on a "Wynyard Walk" ... get the pedtestrian flow moving seamlessly ;)

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Talki
Talking to some the boys on Saturday. Apparently he is still at the school

Yes - the word is that Simonsson's still attending the school (as per the Bulldogs requirement that he either be attending school or in employment) but rather than him deciding to leave the rugby program, it seems that the rugby program has punted him and their performance on Saturday showed that the team can perform pretty well without him.

The match report on the blog gave a pretty good account of the game, but I'd have liked more credit given to the workhorses in the Newington 2nd row (Duvall, the younger, and Poidevin). Poidevin especially made good metres through the middle, but the pair of them do a lot of the hard defensive work in tight, and yet still get around the park very well. And at times, they seemed to be the only thing holding the New scrum together. Issi Halaufia was the stand-out front-rower, always making metres when he carried the ball, and knocking a few Scots boys over with his defence - and his smart work from close to the line gave New their opening try. Lynch had a great game, as did Lawson, with some hard running and top notch defence - Lawson also forced the turn-over which led to the final try. And while Haldane provided good service throughout the match, I thought it was Kuenzle's slick passing and astute decision-making that really allowed the backline perform as well as it did.

Up the Jumper

Herbert Moran (7)
Riverview seemed to have lost their way from the moment Joeys beat them in Round 6 at Riverview and also since all the Schoolboys Rep Rugby.
The word is that some of the Natives (Players & Parents) aren't too happy with the way the Ship is being steered at the moment.
Some strange team selections last weekend before and during the match against Shore which has created a lot of Tension.
A victory against Kings at kings on Saturday would be a surprise considering the current atmosphere surrounding the 1sts at the moment
Remember that after Round 4 Riverview were stand alone undefeated leaders of the Competition

sweetjesus

Frank Row (1)
Round 9 beckons!

View attachment 8244

Scots v Joeys - Match of the Round

Scots can make all other results fade into mathematical hypotheticals by booking a win over the JoeBoys in Scots' last home game this Season.

But that is a task far easier said, than done.

Will come down to how well Scots forwards can starve Joey's backs of possession. Regardless of the result, the Scots pack has punched well above its weight this season. They even took a tight head off Newington's much heavier front row last Saturday.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
<edited by mods>

oh well ... Joeys versus $cots will be an excellent match-up ... if hopefully the Waverley match is all over by half-time, I might wander up the hill

What is the injury news on Scots ... I heard that Crawford was gone ... no chance for Joeys ... but Shannon (10) I heard was pencilled in for Newington game ... but did he play?

I would have to tip Joeys ... particularly if Joeys still have that rampaging 8 ...Miti#? Versus a relatively in-experienced and young (albeit talented) Harris at 8. And without Shannon ... you will effectively have 3 Aussie Schoolboys Backs versus 0

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Riverview seemed to have lost their way >
The word is that some of the Natives (Players & Parents) aren't too happy with the way the Ship is being steered at the moment.
Some strange team selections last weekend before and during the match against Shore which has created a lot of Tension.
A victory against Kings at kings on Saturday would be a surprise considering the current atmosphere surrounding the 1sts at the moment
All sweet sweet music to Azzuri?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
I think the Newington half was Isaac Lewis on the weekend not James Haldane
Having written up the Blog piece on New v Scots, like all the Blog writers, we are mere slaves to what's published in the printed Programs when it comes to the teams that we know less well. Happy for the Blog to be corrected if it's not rightly attributed. The New #9, I thought, had a terrific game. :)

R

Runpasstackle

Riverview seemed to have lost their way from the moment Joeys beat them in Round 6 at Riverview and also since all the Schoolboys Rep Rugby.
Remember that after Round 4 Riverview were stand alone undefeated leaders of the Competition

any positions in particular ?? I agree Also heard 2s backline out scoring the 1s every training session

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
<edited by mods>
> What is the injury news > but Shannon (10) I heard was pencilled in for Newington game . but did he play?

I would have to tip Joeys . particularly if Joeys still have that rampaging 8 .Miti#? Versus a relatively in-experienced and young (albeit talented) Harris at 8. And without Shannon . you will effectively have 3 Aussie Schoolboys Backs versus 0
@SDW, Nic Shannon played against New on the weekend, so expect he'll be there this Saturday.
Point noted on the Representative strength of the JoeBoys' backline, but I think they are the same outfit that Scots faced back in Round 4, just in better form!
Some as-expected soul-searching for Scots after the Stanmore result, but as they have done before during this Season, they'll re-group, dust themselves off, and come out focussed and hardened up to the task that is Joeys. Dare I say it, it'll be a 'crackerjack' encounter, and I reckon well worth you hauling y'self up the hill for! :)

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
New should be considering whether or not its 'marketing' strategy to young rugby talent is failing and/or appropriate following events like that. Attracting talent then have it leave rugby just after GPS selections indicates that either New has failed as a school or he attended the school for the wrong reasons. There is much more to school than rugby/sport. Some other schools are equally as guilty. Im not a Joeys supporter (i am a K supporter) but the bondship shown by the Joeys 1s between themselves and to the Kings 1s after the game was impressive. Joeys are clearly succeeding as a rugby team and a school - this year anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.