• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
I thought that this was an excellent summation of the game OAHI, however I would add that I thought that View's tight 5 were dominant in the scrum and Kings were more clinical in the lineout.
Tough day out for the View No.9 as well - had to deal with a lot of pressure all week and then a lot of attention during the game.

Great game overall.

Will Grant was the no.9 - excellent game as well as considering all the Kings boys were out to get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
Azzuri, Today at 11:52 AM Report
While you are correct that on balance View got the upper hand at scrum time It was closer to a 55-45 ... (After watching the full video) All I know is there are 5 very fired up Kings forwards who I know are very keen to even the score when Kings host View.

While we support the same team don't support the comments about revenge. Thought there should have been more than enough at stake to go hard last weekend. There must be a long list of teams that said we could have won the (GPS) title if we had of won that one game. Players who felt they underperformed should be more worried about whether they have a spot next week than next round. However having ploughed through the backs reserve bench since the start of the year and few forwards of any note in their seconds, there is little pressure on 1sts team spots ? But one
loss does not necessarily mean panic stations are called for.

On review, would have to agree the TKS scrum was pushed around a bit for much of the game. Also in a game when we turned over a fair amount of a ball why hooker and sometimes other FR standing wide on the blind when attacking. It definitely seem to be a coached strategy.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Azzuri, Today at 11:52 AM Report
While you are correct that on balance View got the upper hand at scrum time It was closer to a 55-45 . (After watching the full video) All I know is there are 5 very fired up Kings forwards who I know are very keen to even the score when Kings host View.

While we support the same team don't support the comments about revenge. Thought there should have been more than enough at stake to go hard last weekend. There must be a long list of teams that said we could have won the (GPS) title if we had of won that one game. Players who felt they underperformed should be more worried about whether they have a spot next week than next round. However having ploughed through the backs reserve bench since the start of the year and few forwards of any note in their seconds, there is little pressure on 1sts team spots ? But one
loss does not necessarily mean panic stations are called for.

On review, would have to agree the TKS scrum was pushed around a bit for much of the game. Also in a game when we turned over a fair amount of a ball why hooker and sometimes other FR standing wide on the blind when attacking. It definitely seem to be a coached strategy.

The vengeance comment was tongue in cheek and more of a comment about wounded pride than any prospective stoush.

I agree there should have been more than enough motivation to put that game away and stamp their authority on the comp. You don't generally get second chances so while the game is done and dusted the focus needs to be on what was learnt rather than looking for scapegoats.

Adverse results also drive learning. In this case they have learnt what it's going to take the hard way.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's because I couldn't be bothered focusing on what numbers 9-15 are doing during a game.

I watched so much Super rugby on Foxtel last weekend that I've forgotten who said this, in referring to outside backs "......and then the guys on big contracts.....".
Perhaps Phipps?

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I watched so much Super rugby on Foxtel last weekend that I've forgotten who said this, in referring to outside backs "..and then the guys on big contracts...".
Perhaps Phipps?

It remains one of the great mysteries of our time as to why the cheer girls are paid more than the players.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
AAGPS 1st XV ‘Players of the week’ – Round 4

Below, I have listed all the point winners from Round 4 assigned by the GAGR writers who reviewed the three matches, with the number in brackets indicating how many times the player has been nominated this season. Further down, are the 3-2-1 allocations and why the reviewers chose these players.

Front row
Opeti Helu – New (3)
Charlie Jeavons-Fellows – Scots (4)
Harry Todd – Scots (1)

Second row
Nick Brown - Kings (3)
Back row
Tom Abbott – Shore (1)

Halves
Kyle Brown – Kings (2)
Will Haskins – Shore (2)
Nic Shannon – Scots (1)

Centres
Yirrbi Jaffer-Williams – Joeys (4)
Will Terry – View (2)
James Turner – New (2)
Robin Allen – Shore (1)
Tristan Reilly – Joeys (1)

Back three
Lachlan Day – Joeys (3)
Oliver Smeallie – View (2)
Jake Pirina – View (1)
Tyrone Taukamo – New (1)
Luke Osborne – Kings (3)

View
3 points – Ollie Smeallie #14 – his quickness and agility out wide has been evident the entire season, and none more so then this game.
2 points – Will Terry #13 – very elusive and always seems to get the better of his defender.
1 point – Jake Pirina #11 – defence was impeccable, with some great runs down the sideline

Kings
3 points – Luke Osborne #15 – his height and speed is difficult to handle, as well as his kicking game.
2 points – Nick Brown #4 – good solid ball running and defence.
1 point – Kyle Brown #9 – goal kicking kept them in the game and his passes were on point for the majority.

Scots
3 points – Harry Todd #1 – led by example as Captain. Had a whale of a game in the tight and the loose.
2 points – Charlie Jeavons-Fellows #2 – made huge yards in the midfield working closely with Todd. Benefited from many offloads.
1 point – Nic Shannon #10 – organised the backline well and his boot made the difference in the end.

Joeys
3 points – Tristan Reilly#12 – ran hard into contact and spread the ball wide when given the opportunity. Aggressive in defence.
2 points – Lachlan Day #11 – strong both in attack and defence. His kicking ability kept Joeys competitive.
1 point – Yirribi Jaffer-Williams #13 – always looks exciting with ball in hand. Provides strong support and "x factor" that gets the crowd roaring in anticipation.

Newington
3 points – Tyrone Taukamo #14 – strong, quick player who damages the defensive line consistently.
2 points – Opeti Helu #3 – maintained good form in scrums for most of the match. Powerful ball carries in traffic. Dominant at collision time.
1 point – James Turner #12 – stepped and passed well to set up outside men. Got moved to fullback and was dangerous every time he had the ball.

Shore
3 points – Will Haskins #10 – unpredictable. Competently fed his outside backs and was a handful when taking the line on by himself.
2 points – Robin Allen #12 – a rock in defence and set up Shore's final try with a metre-gobbling bust.
1 point – Tom Abbott #6 – did a lot of hard work in the dark places backs never see. Tough defender on the edges of the breakdown and was a serial pest over Newington rucks.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
AAGPS 1st XV ‘Players of the week’ – Round 4

Below, I have listed all the point winners from Round 4 assigned by the GAGR writers who reviewed the three matches, with the number in brackets indicating how many times the player has been nominated this season. Further down, are the 3-2-1 allocations and why the reviewers chose these players.

Front row
Opeti Helu – New (3)
Charlie Jeavons-Fellows – Scots (4)
Harry Todd – Scots (1)

Second row
Nick Brown - Kings (3)
Back row
Tom Abbott – Shore (1)

Halves
Kyle Brown – Kings (2)
Will Haskins – Shore (2)
Nic Shannon – Scots (1)

Centres
Yirrbi Jaffer-Williams – Joeys (4)
Will Terry – View (2)
James Turner – New (2)
Robin Allen – Shore (1)
Tristan Reilly – Joeys (1)

Back three
Lachlan Day – Joeys (3)
Oliver Smeallie – View (2)
Jake Pirina – View (1)
Tyrone Taukamo – New (1)
Luke Osborne – Kings (3)

View
3 points – Ollie Smeallie #14 – his quickness and agility out wide has been evident the entire season, and none more so then this game.
2 points – Will Terry #13 – very elusive and always seems to get the better of his defender.
1 point – Jake Pirina #11 – defence was impeccable, with some great runs down the sideline

Kings
3 points – Luke Osborne #15 – his height and speed is difficult to handle, as well as his kicking game.
2 points – Nick Brown #4 – good solid ball running and defence.
1 point – Kyle Brown #9 – goal kicking kept them in the game and his passes were on point for the majority.

Scots
3 points – Harry Todd #1 – led by example as Captain. Had a whale of a game in the tight and the loose.
2 points – Charlie Jeavons-Fellows #2 – made huge yards in the midfield working closely with Todd. Benefited from many offloads.
1 point – Nic Shannon #10 – organised the backline well and his boot made the difference in the end.

Joeys
3 points – Tristan Reilly#12 – ran hard into contact and spread the ball wide when given the opportunity. Aggressive in defence.
2 points – Lachlan Day #11 – strong both in attack and defence. His kicking ability kept Joeys competitive.
1 point – Yirribi Jaffer-Williams #13 – always looks exciting with ball in hand. Provides strong support and "x factor" that gets the crowd roaring in anticipation.

Newington
3 points – Tyrone Taukamo #14 – strong, quick player who damages the defensive line consistently.
2 points – Opeti Helu #3 – maintained good form in scrums for most of the match. Powerful ball carries in traffic. Dominant at collision time.
1 point – James Turner #12 – stepped and passed well to set up outside men. Got moved to fullback and was dangerous every time he had the ball.

Shore
3 points – Will Haskins #10 – unpredictable. Competently fed his outside backs and was a handful when taking the line on by himself.
2 points – Robin Allen #12 – a rock in defence and set up Shore's final try with a metre-gobbling bust.
1 point – Tom Abbott #6 – did a lot of hard work in the dark places backs never see. Tough defender on the edges of the breakdown and was a serial pest over Newington rucks.

Nice work @ Rich_E.

Its the first week the Back Rowers have not figured strongly.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Nice work @ Rich_E.

Its the first week the Back Rowers have not figured strongly.

Sure is NIS. I was going to make that point but felt post was long enough.

Back rowers appeared to have quieter week and backs (particularly the centres) featured more prominently this week.

Would appear as though timing and combinations in backs are going from strength to strength with each round.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Other stand out is that CJF (Scots 2) and YJG (Joeys 13) have been nominated in all four rounds. Both are amazing players that have that little bit extra in their games I've not seen in their opponents. CJF has been a real revelation. Being a Scots supporter I knew he was good, but he is now very very good.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Kings 15 is also killing it. I didn't know much about him coming into this season. But he we be my first picked at fullback for sure

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I hear on the grapevine that Smith from Scots may be coaching GPS 1's this year. Does anyone know if this is true and/or if the coaching staff have been named for the GPS rep sides?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I hear on the grapevine that Smith from Scots may be coaching GPS 1's this year. Does anyone know if this is true and/or if the coaching staff have been named for the GPS rep sides?

I hadn't heard that, but the Grapevine is pretty noisy at the moment.

Apparently there might be some truth to a new format comp next year with CAS involved.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
My understanding is that the coach of the defending premiers coaches GPS 1's. Not sure of the pecking order if there are joint premiers. Maybe the other coach gets the 2's. This happened in 2014 where the New coach got 1's and Blackburn got the 2's (Scots & New shared 2013 premiership)

Status
Not open for further replies.