• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee, is the season preview for each school happening?

George Grant will do it as he did it last year but please help him out by giving some info he may not know, although he will be the arbiter of what will be included and what, not.

Don't write a separate section of the school you follow in full sentences.

Just write bullet points in a post in this thread; don't make it War and Peace.

Items could include

• Why their placing this year should be different from 2015.

• Who will be their best three players for 2016 and why. (1.= best.)

• What will be their strengths.

• What will be their weaknesses.

• What their trial form has been like.

• Serious gossip

Don't think you have to cover all the items above; it is not a test. It is just to help GG with a few facts so he doesn't have to go through all the posts in the thread to get info.

Have this in during next week - but add another bullet point in the forum as soon after the final trials on 30 April as you can.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
amended

New – 7 + 1 inj (Helu, Serhon, Lawson, Taukamo, Duvall, Gilfedder, Simmonson + injured Kuenzle)
Shore – 8 (Edwards, Suttor, Allen, Haskins, Sinclair, Sheehan, Gregory, Rixon)
View – 8 (Rorke, Fenn, Scott, Pirina, Lenehan, Terry, Smeallie + Cutler)
Kings – 9 (Lombardi, Lynch, Brown, Skelly, Ryan, Pietsch, Mann, Orpen, Millar)
Joeys – 3 + 1 inj (Holley, Wilkinson, Jaffer-Williams + injured Barnes)
Scots – 6 (Todd, Crawford, Shannon, Green, Chadwick, Miller)
[/quote]

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
Won't say I am well informed but did see the Marist game. On the CAS forum one pundit thought Joeys would be one of the top GPS sides after the Barker trouncing. My comment is that both oppositions Joeys faced are well off the pace of top GPS sides. I also watched Kings trounce Cranbrook. (Not sure you can make GPS predictions based on that) Marist I had expectations would be a bit better than what they showed. Had size in the forwards but were pretty one dimensional all game. Besides # 8 Tuinakavadra, I can't see Joeys having the size or the ability to intimidate in the forwards that they may have most years. The backs on the other hand have depth and some talent though Barnes injury against Marist may really hurt if ruled out for some time. No #12 (Quinn I think) was very good against Marist and expect him to be a strong performer this year. Kicking 2 from either sideline was impressive. Jaffer Williams I expect to be better this year and has some talent. Kandalaft is very quick on his feet and they used him a lot coming off his wing. Joeys have not been consistently strong in this age group since year 7. I think they have had the cattle but point the finger at the coaching. The Y11 boys that may grab spots I think will add something to the team, particularly Miti but expect they may come up against some stronger forwards and teams also with some quality in the backs. 3rd or 4th for mine.

As for the Newington #10 predicament. Saul Lewis is new to school and think he may have got beyond just MNZ last year in club rugby. Has league ambitions as well. Think he is not ready for competing at GPS first level but not sure if New have other options. Haldene is a half back, not blessed with a lot of pace and expectation would have been for him to just pass the ball. I believe he is still in contention for the #9 jumper. Knunzel if out for anytime is a significant loss and to News overall chances. There was to be plenty of quality outside him to work with in Tyrone and Simmonson in particular but he would have been the general.

tjp8

Bob McCowan (2)
Grammar 10 - Trinity 14: grammar was robbed of what was a well played game by them over a much bigger trinity side. The ref had an absolute howler with the whistle and seemed to have no idea what was going on, penalising grammar out of the game until trinity scored under the posts to go up in the last few minutes. Grammar completely out played trinity throughout the game: grammar were fitter, faster, more efficient and creative with their play. Alec Sheldon was dominant in attack and defence as always

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
"Robbed, much bigger Trinity, absolute howler, no idea, completely outplayed, fitter, faster, more efficient, creative, dominant. WOW. All that going on yet they still lost.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Won't say I am well informed but did see the Marist game. The backs on the other hand have depth and some talent though Barnes injury against Marist may really hurt if ruled out for some time. No #12 (Quinn I think) was very good against Marist and expect him to be a strong performer this year. Kicking 2 from either sideline was impressive. Jaffer Williams I expect to be better this year and has some talent. Kandalaft is very quick on his feet and they used him a lot coming off his wing. Joeys have not been consistently strong in this age group since year 7. I think they have had the cattle but point the finger at the coaching. The Y11 boys that may grab spots I think will add something to the team, particularly Miti but expect they may come up against some stronger forwards and teams also with some quality in the backs. 3rd or 4th for mine.

OAUI you must really like #12 QUINN , cause every post you name him. You will be disappointed if he not in Joeys 1st XV ? Well let us see if the coaches think like you by naming him in trial against KNOX-V-JOEYS and the 1st round. I just don't think he was that impressive against Barker or Canberra and highly doubt he will be selected.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
@OAUI, I assure you Saul Lewis did not play beyond MNZ last year. If you go back through past ggr threads from July 2015 you can readily find a list of last year's U15 Syd and then NSW teams. He is not on either.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
amended

New – 7 + 1 inj (Helu, Serhon, Lawson, Taukamo, Duvall, Gilfedder, Simmonson + injured Kuenzle)
View – 7 (Rorke, Fenn, Scott, Pirina, Lenehan, Terry, Smeallie)

For View, Malu Nona, played several games on the wing in the 1sts last year.

blindsideflanker

Allen Oxlade (6)
amended

View – 7 (Rorke, Fenn, Scott, Pirina, Lenehan, Terry, Smeallie)
[/quote]
How many of these boys are repeating year 12 and were they all regular 1st players or just played the odd game for 1st?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
How many of these boys are repeating year 12 and were they all regular 1st players or just played the odd game for 1st?[/quote]
I think there are a few part timers in the list.

For Shore, don't think there are any year 12 repeats.

Edwards, Suttor, Haskins, Sinclair & Gregory were all permanent. Hamish Sheahan played quite a few, Rixon was injured v Riverview first round and didn't play again. Allen may have played a couple, not sure how many

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
How many of these boys are repeating year 12 and were they all regular 1st players or just played the odd game for 1st?

They don't repeat Year 12 anymore (as in they don't do the whole year's study again), what they do now is something called "pathways" in which they complete Year 12 over two years (half each year).

It was originally brought in so that elite level athletes (i.e. olympic swimmers, gymnasts etc.) who were still at school could train and study and still end up with an HSC.

It was never designed so that students could play an extra year at school in the firsts at their chosen sport. Unfortunately, this is what often happens these days.

blindsideflanker

Allen Oxlade (6)
They don't repeat Year 12 anymore (as in they don't do the whole year's study again), what they do now is something called "pathways" in which they complete Year 12 over two years (half each year).

It was originally brought in so that elite level athletes (i.e. olympic swimmers, gymnasts etc.) who were still at school could train and study and still end up with an HSC.

It was never designed so that students could play an extra year at school in the firsts at their chosen sport. Unfortunately, this is what often happens these days.
Ok some of these teams have an unusually high number of 1st players returning which means some of them must be doing 'pathways' or they are naming every player that made an appearance for the 1st rather than regular 1st players

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Grammar 10 - Trinity 14: grammar was robbed of what was a well played game by them over a much bigger trinity side. The ref had an absolute howler with the whistle and seemed to have no idea what was going on, penalising grammar out of the game until trinity scored under the posts to go up in the last few minutes. Grammar completely out played trinity throughout the game: grammar were fitter, faster, more efficient and creative with their play. Alec Shelton was dominant in attack and defence as always

Of more significance was the huge improvement from their game against Alos with the same personnel (bar 1).
You can only credit the coaches - give them 4 days without worried mothers and they can impart some fundamentals that were completely lacking in the earlier game.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Shore v Cranbrook trial match 23/4/16

Shore defeated Cranbrook 28 – 0 today in damp conditions on very good playing surface at Northbridge. Heavy overnight and morning rain had drained away well and the only minor glitch for players was a slippery, grassy cricket pitch.

After the Shore 2nds had put on a big score against Cranbrook, the rain cleared and the 1sts ran on with a small crowd in attendance. Early signs of the bigger Shore pack making good hit ups in pods of 3 runners showed the benefit of their training camp at Caloundra in the week leading up to this game.

The Cranbrook defence was outstanding for most of both halves. Moving quickly off their defensive line, backs and forwards alike were making low, committed tackles and preventing Shore from doing much more than bend the defence or make a half break before a sweeping defender would mow them down.

Cranbrook also shone in the set pieces. Their smaller pack put great pressure on the Shore scrum, forcing them back on several occasions in the first half. Shore asserted their dominance at scrum time in the second half.

Lineouts were a problem for Shore. Aggressive challenges from Cranbrook jumpers saw several overthrows and steals to Cranbrook. To both teams’ credit, they constantly tried different variations of on-ground movement and catcher positioning, despite a slippery ball.

The first half saw field position dominance go Cranbrook’s way, but several penalties against them led to a yellow card to the ‘Brook 10 for persistent infringements.

Shore scored the only try of the first half with a sweeping run from their 15. He received the ball in his 22 on a second-man play, and scorched the turf in a solo run to the tryline. His speed and swerve saw him beat several cover defenders on his way to the tryline. No 12 converted for a 7 – 0 score at half time.

The second half was quite a different animal as Shore lifted their game. Ball-in-front passing and greater size in the centres were combined with an “expect the unexpected” strategy. Quick taps from the many penalties awarded against ‘Brook, quick lineout throws, and one unusual cross-field kick from a forward 5 meters out from the ‘Brook tryline led to a air of uncertainty in the otherwise solid ‘Brook defence.

Two Shore attacking forays came up with no result as Cranbrook threw themselves on to loose balls and kept going with their effective, low tackling. On one occasion, the Shore 3 gamely chased a grubber but was beaten by the dead ball line. Shortly after, the Shore 15 beat two defenders easily but ran away from his support just the Cranbrook sweeper arrived to save the try.

However, the constant workload in defence told against Cranbrook who were unable to contain Shore’s 1 who broke two brave tackles on a steamrolling gallop to the tryline. 13 converted from near the posts: 14 – 0 to Shore.

A highlight of the game was a 50-meter try to the Shore 13. With a scrum set on half way and 15 meters in from the right hand touch, all the Shore backs arranged themselves on the open side and ran a pre set play. 13 swerved back towards the forwards, then stepped outside, accelerated and blistered away to score a well deserved try. He converted his own try; 21 -0 to Shore.

Right on full time the Shore 8 took a pass on about the 7th phase of attack inside the Cranbrook 22. With exhausted Cranbrook players still coming across field from the last breakdown, he charged through one of the few gaps ‘Brook had left all day and scored under the posts. Converted by No.13.

Final score: Shore 28 – Cranbrook 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.