• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree with Hasbeen as every year the start of the new CAS thread new scholarship kid discussions begin, and writers start comparing schools against schools. The opportunity given to kids to go to top schools such as those in the CAS extends further than the rugby field and should not be a representation of the player for taking the opportunity. As for the schools responsibility, the 1st XV competition is widely popular and a measure of the school in itself regardless of their values, so of course it is in their best interest to field the strongest team possible. In business terms, to gain a competitive advantage over other schools to attract the next intake of kids. So indubitably this conversation will continue by people arguing for and against but we do know it occurs at different extents and it’s about now keeping up and not be left behind, which is starting to become evident.

Doctor Lambert, shouldn't you be on the GPS thread?

Through the hands

Stan Wickham (3)
Afternoon gents, new to green and gold have been following the CAS threads for a while and keen to get stuck into the 2020 season. Thought I might offer some previews/predictions of mine following the 2019 season. Barker are a very strong side and will remain a strong side going into 2020. A solid 1st XV with a hungry forward pack, I just wonder how much of that hunger will be lost when the likes of Pollard (2) and Wilson (3) are gone. A good 16a’s cohort coming through as Barker will be hungry to make it 3 in a row. Knox will not have a productive season, or at least as productive as last season. Lots of firepower will be gone with 12 of 1st XV being year 12s. Replacements from the 2nd XV and 16a’s will be more than capable to fill the roles. Ollie Moore at 7 to be the captain and that big boppa Kettles at 8, along with some speedy backs and they could surprise a few come 2020. It almost seems like Aloys never change! Can’t see them doing much in 2020 maybe an occasional win here and there other than that it’s not looking too good for the men from Milsons point. No doubt they will still play their hearts out however will be outclassed by many of their opponents. Cranbrook I can’t see being a real threat in 2020. Tas Smith (9) was instrumental for 3 seasons and basically ran the show at Cranbrook giving them every chance to get up in 2019, unfortunately it wasn’t meant to be but I don’t see them doing much this year, unless of course they play all their games on a Friday night down at Easts! they’ll be sure to be undefeated premieres if that were the case. Unfortunately for Trinity when you only have one team in the 16s you’re going to struggle come opens. This will be the case for them, a solid 1st XV nonetheless and could definitely surprise a few come 2020 with Willoughby (9) looking to lead the show and the forwards will be hungry. So that leaves Waves and like everyone else here i’m picking waves to take the 2020 title and possibly further. Unbelievable depth and personnel shown in the 2nd XV, 3rd XV and 16a’s and a lot of these boys will still be around for the 2020 season, simply put if the 1st XV are able to click I have no doubt that they will be undefeated premiers of the CAS and probably the best team in the state.

Overall I predict
Waves
Barker
Trinity
Knox
Cranbrook
Aloys.

Let me know what you think and where I’m wrong. Can’t wait for the 2020 season

John R

Frank Row (1)
Predicted Knox 1st XV Team 2020
1. H. Daunt (3XV)/ N. Lake (16A)
2. R. Bray (16A)
3. J. Black (16A)
4. L. Reeve (16A)
5. L. Chamen (2XV)
6. O. Moore (2XV)
7. C. Herdman (16A)
8. H. Kettles (2XV)
9. T. Goddard (16A)
10. J. Dunn (3XV)/ J. Craig (16A)
11. O. Evans (1XV)
12. J. Constable (2XV)/ J. Buchanann (Injury 16's)
13. M. Stewart (1XV)
14. S. Nicholls (1XV)
15. L. Tucker (16A)/ C. Barr (2XV)

NOTES:
This squad may look very inexperienced but with younger players coming up through the ranks it will set the concrete for the 2021 season. The backline is proving to be valuable with 3 1st XV players still there. C. Barr is in the 15 on the team list but can also be a very effective FlyHalf. Although the front row is looking very inexperienced big Jack Black will prove to be handy in scrums and go forward in general with players dripping off him for off-loads. O. Evans will be focusing on just his school footy as he will be unable to play representative footy. M. Stewart and S. Nicholls will be a good chance of making CAS sides and possibly NSW sides. The younger boys in the 16's went well in their season and with Herdman, Tucker and Black making the CAS team and Black making both NSW Schools and Gen Blue will prove destructive in the season next year. Overall the Knox 1st XV next year will definitely be a top 3 contender they are just lacking experience throughout the team.

HowGoodsFooty

Frank Row (1)
Predicted Trinity 1st XV Team 2020
1. T. Jackson (1XV)/B.Blades (2XV)
2. B. Alcock (16As)
3. M. Hawkes (1XV)
4. S. Buchanan (1XV)
5. M. Eid (1XV)
6. P. Foley (2XV)/T.Jackson (1XV)
7. E. Marshall (1XV/2XV)
8. A. Mooney (1XV/2XV)
9. K. Willoughby (1XV)
10. H. Hannaford (1XV/16As)
11. S. Dennis (2XV)/I. Soldatos (2XV)
12. J. Casmir (16As)/K. Roberts (15As)
13. F. Meagher (1XV)
14. A. Wilson (16As)
15. N. Ta'ale (1XV/2XV)

schoolboyrugbyfan

Frank Row (1)
Predicted Wav 1xv 2020

1. Moale 1xv/ Smith 16A
2. Waterhouse 2xv/ Sullivan 16A
3. Dunning 2xv
4. Jahnke Tavana 1xv -16A
5. Amatesero 1xv
6. Fretton 1xv/Halohalo 1xv/ Barber 2xv
7. Baker 1xv/ King 1xv-16A/Elder 2xv
8. Runow 2xv/
9. Thorn 1xv/Johnson 2xv
10. Di Bartolo 1xv-2xv
11. Swann 1xv/Smith 2xv
12. Fretton? - has played backs for waves/Cairns 2xv/Volkman
13. Cairns 2xv/Dimotvitch 16A
14. Smith 2xv/ Flanagan 16A/ Eyles 2xv
15. Volkman 1xv/Towns 15A

Through the hands

Stan Wickham (3)
Predicted Trinity 1st XV Team 2020
1. T. Jackson (1XV)/B.Blades (2XV)
2. B. Alcock (16As)
3. M. Hawkes (1XV)
4. S. Buchanan (1XV)
5. M. Eid (1XV)
6. P. Foley (2XV)/T.Jackson (1XV)
7. E. Marshall (1XV/2XV)
8. A. Mooney (1XV/2XV)
9. K. Willoughby (1XV)
10. H. Hannaford (1XV/16As)
11. S. Dennis (2XV)/I. Soldatos (2XV)
12. J. Casmir (16As)/K. Roberts (15As)
13. F. Meagher (1XV)
14. A. Wilson (16As)
15. N. Ta'ale (1XV/2XV)

Exactly why I tell people not to sleep on this Trinity team. Lot's of experience with a lot of boys backing up from last year! Trinity stuck with a lot of the big guns throughout the 2019 season, I can see this team doing some good things in 2020. Experience won't be the issue with this team it will come down to the chemistry, coaching and preparation.

Through the hands

Stan Wickham (3)
Seems like everyone's doing team predictions.

Some very wayward predictions out there for this Knox team so I thought I'd put mine in.

1st XV
1. H. Daunt (2XV)
2. R. Bray (16A)
3. J. Black (16A)
4. L. Reeve (16A)
5. L. Chamen (2XV)
6. C. Herdman (16A)
7. O. Moore (2XV) (c)
8. H. Kettles (2XV)
9. T. Goddard (16A)
10. C. Barr (2XV)
11. O. Evans (1XV)
12. J. Mcleod (15A) (U16 NSW Origin rep)
13. M. Stewart (1XV)
14. S. Nicholl (1XV)
15. L. Tucker (16A)

Without a doubt these backs will be electrifying to watch. A really solid partnership in the centres and speed in the back 3. Not sure how C. Barr would feel at 10 however played 10 vs Joeys for the 2nd XV in 2019 and played well ending up on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

The forwards will be inexperienced as there was only player to start a game for the 1s, O. Moore (started vs Aloys). He will need to do some serious leading to get this park around the park

NOTE: J. Buchanan missed all of 2019, should he be ready I see him slotting in at 10, Barr to 15 and Tucker to the 2nd XV as Barr has a little more flair and a really good boot.

2nd XV
1. N. Lake (16A)
2. T. Reid (3XV)
3. E. Olling (2XV)
4. G. Hui (16A)
5. L. Barr (3XV)
6. M. Ball (16A)
7. L. Howard (2XV)
8. W. Feather (16A)
9. K. Fulton (16A)
10. J. Dunn (3XV)
11. H. Gosper (16A)
12. J. Constable (2XV) (c)
13. H. Le Boursicot (16A)/L. McCready (16A)
14. C. Ojah (2XV/3XV)
15. H. Ferry (3XV)

An overall solid team, a lot of people returning from the 2s from 2019. A solid all round forward pack and good quick backs.

J. Dunn at 10 took the 3s to another level providing excellent service to the outside backs who finished the tries off, whenever he took the ball in two hands to the line something was guaranteed to happen, albeit in 3rd grade however I believe he could transform this 2nd XV.

J. Constable unlucky to miss out on the 1st XV even though he had a few stints off the bench, Mcleod provides more threat to oppositions with his direct running and ball skills.

Both squads respectively are solid and could definitely ruffle a few feathers in 2020.

Big_Senditure

Stan Wickham (3)
Seems like everyone's doing team predictions.

Some very wayward predictions out there for this Knox team so I thought I'd put mine in.

1st XV
1. H. Daunt (2XV)
2. R. Bray (16A)
3. J. Black (16A)
4. L. Reeve (16A)
5. L. Chamen (2XV)
6. C. Herdman (16A)
7. O. Moore (2XV) (c)
8. H. Kettles (2XV)
9. T. Goddard (16A)
10. C. Barr (2XV)
11. O. Evans (1XV)
12. J. Mcleod (15A) (U16 NSW Origin rep)
13. M. Stewart (1XV)
14. S. Nicholl (1XV)
15. L. Tucker (16A)

Without a doubt these backs will be electrifying to watch. A really solid partnership in the centres and speed in the back 3. Not sure how C. Barr would feel at 10 however played 10 vs Joeys for the 2nd XV in 2019 and played well ending up on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

The forwards will be inexperienced as there was only player to start a game for the 1s, O. Moore (started vs Aloys). He will need to do some serious leading to get this park around the park

NOTE: J. Buchanan missed all of 2019, should he be ready I see him slotting in at 10, Barr to 15 and Tucker to the 2nd XV as Barr has a little more flair and a really good boot.

2nd XV
1. N. Lake (16A)
2. T. Reid (3XV)
3. E. Olling (2XV)
4. G. Hui (16A)
5. L. Barr (3XV)
6. M. Ball (16A)
7. L. Howard (2XV)
8. W. Feather (16A)
9. K. Fulton (16A)
10. J. Dunn (3XV)
11. H. Gosper (16A)
12. J. Constable (2XV) (c)
13. H. Le Boursicot (16A)/L. McCready (16A)
14. C. Ojah (2XV/3XV)
15. H. Ferry (3XV)

An overall solid team, a lot of people returning from the 2s from 2019. A solid all round forward pack and good quick backs.

J. Dunn at 10 took the 3s to another level providing excellent service to the outside backs who finished the tries off, whenever he took the ball in two hands to the line something was guaranteed to happen, albeit in 3rd grade however I believe he could transform this 2nd XV.

J. Constable unlucky to miss out on the 1st XV even though he had a few stints off the bench, Mcleod provides more threat to oppositions with his direct running and ball skills.

Both squads respectively are solid and could definitely ruffle a few feathers in 2020.
Interesting to hear your perspective TTH and I would have to say I agree with a lot of it. Could be argued that you swap Tucker and Barr as Tucker played 10 up until U16's where he then swapped to 15. Also would swap Herdman and Moore. Agree with you about Dunn though, he looked really good in the 3's and especially at the back end against Aloys and Barker (the score lines 72-0 and 36-0 respectively) I think he will definitely be in and around the 1's side. I agree with the McLeod shout as well. Although the forwards are largely inexperience I believe the likes of Chamen and Kettles will set the tone. The backs will be electric this season and it will hopefully give them a shot at contending for the CAS title.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Interesting to hear your perspective TTH and I would have to say I agree with a lot of it. Could be argued that you swap Tucker and Barr as Tucker played 10 up until U16's where he then swapped to 15. Also would swap Herdman and Moore. Agree with you about Dunn though, he looked really good in the 3's and especially at the back end against Aloys and Barker (the score lines 72-0 and 36-0 respectively) I think he will definitely be in and around the 1's side. I agree with the McLeod shout as well. Although the forwards are largely inexperience I believe the likes of Chamen and Kettles will set the tone. The backs will be electric this season and it will hopefully give them a shot at contending for the CAS title.

Axel wont say anything but I will. I would suggest Max Purcell might be in the 1st XV/2nd XV mix if he comes back well from his knee reconstructions. Hasn't played much in 2 years, but was a gun lock (or back ;) in the 14's and has grown and grown since then.

Reactions: BAR

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Axel wont say anything but I will. I would suggest Max Purcell might be in the 1st XV/2nd XV mix if he comes back well from his knee reconstructions. Hasn't played much in 2 years, but was a gun lock (or back ;) in the 14's and has grown and grown since then.

Agree WTF,

Axe won't say anything in the public forum, and agree that Axe junior will make a welcomed return to footy next year.
I suspect the 1st goal is an injury free season which will set him up nicely for 2021.
Its difficult to say what team he may make, given his battles, and what depth Knox have in their 2020 season, it may well be the 1s/2s .

Reactions: BAR

shovingaboag

Frank Row (1)
Predicted Wav 1xv 2020

1. Moale 1xv/ Smith 16A
2. Waterhouse 2xv/ Sullivan 16A
3. Dunning 2xv
4. Jahnke Tavana 1xv -16A
5. Amatesero 1xv
6. Fretton 1xv/Halohalo 1xv/ Barber 2xv
7. Baker 1xv/ King 1xv-16A/Elder 2xv
8. Runow 2xv/
9. Thorn 1xv/Johnson 2xv
10. Di Bartolo 1xv-2xv
11. Swann 1xv/Smith 2xv
12. Fretton? - has played backs for waves/Cairns 2xv/Volkman
13. Cairns 2xv/Dimotvitch 16A
14. Smith 2xv/ Flanagan 16A/ Eyles 2xv
15. Volkman 1xv/Towns 15A

Jack Sherston was looking good last year in the 16's until injuries forced him out I personally don't think you can leave him out of the mix for the backrow in 1st or 2nd teams as he could really shine in preseason over the summer!

BeaverMenzies

Frank Row (1)
Jack Sherston was looking good last year in the 16's until injuries forced him out I personally don't think you can leave him out of the mix for the backrow in 1st or 2nd teams as he could really shine in preseason over the summer!

ShovingABoag you've got an interesting point, i've seen and heard around the traps that there are similar people like jack with the likes of Dane Perica a tough and aggressive back rower and Max Tilley a boy who used to be at Waverley then moved to cranbrook nippy little halfback. Big potential for these "underdogs" if you like, especially with off season around the corner worth keeping an eye on these boys.

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
2020 PREDICTION WAVERLEY 1st XV

1- Smith 16A / NSW
2- Sullivan 16A
3-Caltagirone 16A
4-Chapman 16A / NSW
5-Amatesero 1st XV
6-Moale 1st XV / NSW
7-B Elder 2nd XV
8-King 16A/1st XV / NSW - Tavana 16A/1stXV / NSW

9-Thorn 1stXV / NSW
10-Di-Bartolo 2nd XV / 1st XV / NSW
11-Eyles 2nd XV
12-Volkman 1stXV
13-Swann 1stXV
14-Zach Smith 2nd XV
15- Flanagan 16A / NSW

I believe the core group in this squad are around for the next 2 seasons and 2020 will be somewhat of rebuild in some sense for Waverley so strike while the iron is hot give the incoming undefeated 16A players first go. There seems to be a 2017 look about some of these players coming through. As mentioned the 2nd and 3rd XV will also be red hot.
A bright future for the Waverley College rugby community.

hornsby4life

Allen Oxlade (6)
Predicted Waverley First XV for 2020:

1. Charles Barber
2. Darcy Sullivan
3. Davvy Moale
4. Miles Amasatero
5. Fritz Jahane-Tavana
6. Asololei Fretton
7. Ethan King (c)
8. Axel Runow
9. Klayton Thorn
10. Emmanuel Di Bartolo
11. Jordan Swann
12. Ronald Volkman
13. Casper Cairns
14. Aaron Dimovitch/Dane Towns
15. Mitch Eyles

Predicted Waverley Second XV for 2020

1. Reeve Smith
2. Jim Waterhouse
3. Ben Dunning
4. Matt Chapman
5. Spencer Kapos
6. Clem Halaholo
7. Ben Elder
8. Will Baker (c)
9. Hugh Johnson
10. Paddy Gooley
11. Zac Smith
12. Jack Hickey
13. Aaron Dimovitch/Christian Smirnotis (depending whether or not Dimovitch can make it over Towns)
14. Declan Punch
15. Ethan Flanagan

Predicted Waverley 16A's for 2020

1. Jasper Doyle/Vince Santamaria
2. Ben Schrijvers
3. AJ Prekitis
4. Cooper Stynes
5. Pat Hoggett
6. Sam Lodge
7. Jesse Sonego
8. Lucius Cappadona
9. Tom Martin
10. Nick Quinn
11. Ronan Schocher
12. Max Harrison
13. Trangi John Speedy-Coe
14. Leon Bakis
15. Dane Towns/Miles Minto (depending on whether Towns can make 1st XV)

Good looking teams for the Waves for 2020. Have the potential of winning all 3 titles. In the 1's I think young Ethan King will have a breakout season. In the 2's I have to see many tries from the fullback Flanagan. In the 16a's I hope to see big inside centre Max Harrison to have a breakout season after tearing his ACL.

Big year for the Waves.

bisonwaves234

Frank Row (1)
Has anyone hear in this heard of Joseph Morris from Waverley 16A's who plays tight head. he was originally in b's but with the injured joel caltagirone-pantano he took his spot in the team. he then went on to play for Sydney u16's almost making gen blue. i think he'll have a strong chance of potentially playing 1st XV. anyone heard of him???

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
Has anyone hear in this heard of Joseph Morris from Waverley 16A's who plays tight head. he was originally in b's but with the injured joel caltagirone-pantano he took his spot in the team. he then went on to play for Sydney u16's almost making gen blue. i think he'll have a strong chance of potentially playing 1st XV. anyone heard of him???

I think young Joe will be 3rds at best next year with the current crop of year 11 front rowers in 3rds and 2nds this year. Although he took his opportunity with injuries and credit to him. Will need to do a lot of work on his scrummaging to have any chance at higher honours. With the return of Joel Pantano and his strong scrum work and all round general play Morris will obviously move back down the pecking order.

bisonwaves234

Frank Row (1)
I think young Joe will be 3rds at best next year with the current crop of year 11 front rowers in 3rds and 2nds this year. Although he took his opportunity with injuries and credit to him. Will need to do a lot of work on his scrummaging to have any chance at higher honours. With the return of Joel Pantano and his strong scrum work and all round general play Morris will obviously move back down the pecking order.

Personally disagree. Going from 16b's to then making Sydney must mean something. i feel he has improved scrummaging as no 16a's teams could beat the waverley scrum. what is your point.

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
My point is he is not a strong scrummager , the games I watched this season of the 16As I noted that 95% of the time the pressure was on him to hold his weight which often he didn’t. It was fortunate that he had a loose head prop in Smith that knew what he was doing as well as some help from his 2nd row. You can also go to footage of the Sydney v Country game where it was very evident he struggled at scrum time. The intel I have is that he was never in the running for gen blue because of this lack of core role skill / scrummaging. Going forward into the opens a tight head prop must know how to scrum as a priority , so front rowers already ranked above him and have played opens this season and will do so again next season will get first crack.

OneFourVeteran

Frank Row (1)
No need for these childish shenanigans. We're here to have serious, in-depth, heated (yet always polite) and spirited discussions about CAS schoolboy rugby. Leave the toilet talk where it belongs!

sorry dox. things got a bit heated. ill tell my tokos and my siannas to call of the hit on love tap. G what