• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Spot on Snort. The Barker Head and Aloys Head are pretty good mates and I think the word went out to pull the game up early. No injuries were had but the risk was there. It was the right decision. Barker has had some good news flow in from the junior school. A 30% increase in the number of boys playing rugby this year. With the new Rosewood centre, I think rugby and basketball will be the focus going forward.

Hi Rod,

Like you, I agree with Snort its certainly time to even up the school associations, and have a tiered and relegation system, but can't see the GPS ever agreeing.
I believe that's how it works in NZ, and they are quire reasonable at Rugby!

Great to see Rugby numbers increasing at Barker BUT hope that the USA game called Basketball doesn't grow, I call it the 40 minute parent drop off sport (that's why there are so many teams). Beyond the A and B teams , no one watches or cares, the summer equivalent of soccer.
Much rather see our National game Cricket grow.

Luv your down playing of Barker next week at QP, ie Waves being favs, HA, any team that can score nearly 100 against another CAS 1st team is special.

There will be lots of people walking their dogs at QP next week precisely at 3.15pm.

Barker4Peat

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi Rod,

Like you, I agree with Snort its certainly time to even up the school associations, and have a tiered and relegation system, but can't see the GPS ever agreeing.

Great to see Rugby numbers increasing at Barker BUT hope that the USA game called Basketball doesn't grow, I call it the 40 minute parent drop off sport (that's why there are so many teams). Beyond the A and B teams , no one watches or cares, the summer equivalent of soccer.

Luv your down playing of Barker next week at QP, ie Waves being favs, HA, any team that can score nearly 100 against another CAS 1st team is special.

There will be lots of people walking their dogs at QP next week precisely at 3.15pm.

Personal opinion, WLF, don't think the boring sport of cricket will take off quite like basketball has in recent years.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi Rod,

Yes. We will be all walking the dogs. Should be a great spectacle.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Personal opinion, WLF, don't think the boring sport of cricket will take off quite like basketball has in recent years.

I am sure you are right B4P, but it is a drop off sport, don't see crowds for BB like the ashes, clearly you weren't a cricketer. Other than the fair dinkum As and Bs, the other 10 age group teams are just a convenient tick the school box sport, most kids don't even know the full time score and mum and dad are having breakie elsewhere!

Next week at QP will be interesting!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Haha. I've got 2 labradores. Happy to 'lend' you one

Hi Rich, you funny b, Wouldn't it have been nice if all this virus stuff had pisse. off and the GPS and CAS followers could have watched BOTH comps, given the different playing dates (first time ever), the crowds would have been enormous at every game.

I had a few great Scots mates call me this week busting to watch todays game Waves V brook, to no avail!

Hope you are well!

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
don't see crowds for BB like the ashes
Same goes for Soccer, will never be a popular professional sport in Australia as people only have a set amount of time to follow a sport and if you had the choice you would watch the NBA or Euro League instead of the NBL or A league

Barker3peat

Stan Wickham (3)
It looks to be a comp of Barker V Waverly V Trinity then.

Barker very strong today - even with reserves on - unstoppable.

I would be surprised if any team can match the physicality of the Barker pack who set the platform for the backs. It just comes down to the work by the Coaching staff as well- the players are so well prepared - unbelievably fit, incredibly strong. They are the best coaching team in the comp by far and it shows in how well the players perform. Each year, players develop under their guidance from good players, to best players in the comp. I have no doubt the CAS merit team merit team will have 12-13 Barker players in there. Some of the seconds kids wouldn’t be out of their depth either.

I felt sorry for the Alos boys today- may be time for the school to move on from rugby?

So looking ahead- next week is no doubt a big game, but I see no way Waverly can match the sheer physicality of this Barker team. Across the paddock Barker has the upper hand and history of success. Waverlys players and coaches are just not up to scratch.

I think barker will run away 20+ points winners.

Which leaves our grand final against Trinity- probably our toughest opponent of the year - but again - an injury or two and they will be no where near the level thy need to be to compete against this Barker team.

Just my two cents. A 3 peat is in my mind, highly likely for the first time in CAS in over 20 years.

Barker3peat

Stan Wickham (3)
It was a tough day at Hornsby for Aloys. In the 2nds they had non contested scrums from the kick off which took away the huge advantage Barker had in the forwards. 2 intercept tries to Aloys made the score board respectable. Lesson to Barker is no cut outs when the defence is so flat.
Best players for Barker 2nds was the entire forward pack led by Hetherington and the human bulldozer Dion Yazdani. Both of these lads are 1st XV standard players so the depth is the best I have seen at Barker in many years. Will Irish (4) scored 2 tries today in the 2nds but crossed 3 times while big Sam Tapner (5) had a cracking game.
In the backs, Jack McAllister was superb at 9. His no hesitation bullet pass always found his ball runner. He will be keeping the pressure on Luke Harrison in the 1sts thats for sure. Hamish Jollow also did well. Taking on the line but also giving his outside backs lots of ball. The 50/19 score line could have been more if the scrums were contested.

In the 1st well Aloys never ever gave up. They have some good players in this side. None more so than their capt Jonathon Sheil-Dick. With a strong family history behind him, this boy tackled all day and really bent the line ball in hand. Unfortunately he could not do it on his own. Aloys 6 Charlie Newton John also made some telling tackles, while Tom Sidgreaves at 9 did everything right for a half whose forward pack was on roller skates. Aloys 10 Jesse Nasif is a real nuggety style fly half with great hands and a deft kick. But all of this talent was just overwhelmed by Barkers offensive tackling and the brutal running, ball in hand. The set piece was strong all day for Barker. Line out throws by Tyrone Albertyn hit the mark while the scrum was never under pressure.
If this game served any purpose for Barker it was to give the backs a chance to develop the combinations more. Execution was a lot better. The offloads and the backing up was a real step up over the last 2 weeks.

Stand outs for me though was young Joel Kardash at 6. In only his 3rd year of rugby having given away the round ball game, he is an able replacement for Dan Stovold who will be back next week. This lad runs like a man possessed and he has more hits than the Rolling Stones in defence. He was ably supported by Mitch wheels at 7 who has a unlimitless petrol tank and ran hard and straight all day. Ben Graham at 10 had his best game and really directed his back line well while the centre combo of Kennedy and Jones was terrific. No way through those two boys.
The outside backs finished very well with Galloway(14) Tucker 11 and Bowen all keeping the score board attendent busy.

Next weeks clash at Queens Park will be a cracking game. Waves must be favourites at home but Barker has depth and these boys play as a team. They will leave it all on the park. No excuses. It is such a pity a big crowd will not be (legally) on hand to watch it. Judging by todays scores, it will be the match of the season.

Thanks for this Rod. Captured it well. Alos honestly struggled today. The difference between the two schools was actually dangerous.

Thanks for your help today as well.

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)

I would be surprised if any team can match the physicality of the Barker pack who set the platform for the backs. It just comes down to the work by the Coaching staff as well- the players are so well prepared - unbelievably fit, incredibly strong. They are the best coaching team in the comp by far and it shows in how well the players perform. Each year, players develop under their guidance from good players, to best players in the comp. I have no doubt the CAS merit team merit team will have 12-13 Barker players in there. Some of the seconds kids wouldn’t be out of their depth either.

I felt sorry for the Alos boys today- may be time for the school to move on from rugby?

So looking ahead- next week is no doubt a big game, but I see no way Waverly can match the sheer physicality of this Barker team. Across the paddock Barker has the upper hand and history of success. Waverlys players and coaches are just not up to scratch.

Which leaves our grand final against Trinity- probably our toughest opponent of the year - but again - an injury or two and they will be no where near the level thy need to be to compete against this Barker team.

Just my two cents. A 3 peat is in my mind, highly likely for the first time in CAS in over 20 years.

Could not agree more Bob McCLOWN, the Barker v Waverly game will see Waverley getting absolutely whipped.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Hi Rich, you funny b, Wouldn't it have been nice if all this virus stuff had pisse. off and the GPS and CAS followers could have watched BOTH comps, given the different playing dates (first time ever), the crowds would have been enormous at every game.

I had a few great Scots mates call me this week busting to watch todays game Waves V brook, to no avail!

Hope you are well!

All good. Hope you are too. Yeah. Had it all lined up. The two comps. So bloody annoying. Although, not much social distancing at Uni v Rats this arvo. Watched on tv.

Next week. QP. Could be game of the season. No disrespect to TGS and Knox.

Reactions: WLF

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)

Also, I think you are generous tipping Barker to win by 20+ points. Given Barker put up a cricket score against Aloys - despite not having the full squad on - I would tip Barker to win by 45+ points.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Watching tahs vs brums on 30 min delayed start. Hope they bring on Ben Donaldson soon. No game time in first 2 tah games hard to understand

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Hate to agree B3peat but I must,

Barker are most certainly favourite for next week at QP, any school that puts nearly 100 v another 1sts XV is obviously the real deal. It also sounds that the Barker pack is just so dominant and big that any other other pack, and team, will struggle, big time. The Waves pack tries hard but isn't particularly big, regardless of what you have heard, nor probably aggressive enough, same for the back line, but they will have a go!

If you check the history of CAS comp wins, you are right, "Barker has the upper hand and history of success" with more CAS 1st XV comp wins than any other CAS school.

Like many others, will you be walking your dog next Sat at QP?

Jonte

Bob McCowan (2)
Hate to agree B3peat but I must,

Barker are most certainly favourite for next week at QP, any school that puts nearly 100 v another 1sts XV is obviously the real deal. It also sounds that the Barker pack is just so dominant and big that any other other pack, and team, will struggle, big time. The Waves pack tries hard but isn't particularly big, regardless of what you have heard, nor probably aggressive enough, same for the back line, but they will have a go!

If you check the history of CAS comp wins, you are right, "Barker has the upper hand and history of success" with more CAS 1st XV comp wins than any other CAS school.

Like many others, will you be walking your dog next Sat at QP?

I did check the history of success number of CAS comp wins below including joint winners.

A 3
B 19
C13
K 25
T 14
W 36

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
All this talk about the Barker scrum. Is it the whole pack working as a unit or is it a dominant front row?

Having been a back most of my playing life I am not in a genuine position to comment but this is my read on it. The dark arts of scrummaging comes from sound coaching. Think back 3 years ago and Dean Hargreaves took Dean Collison a 7 and turned him into a NSW 1st XV tight head prop. Billy Pollard was a lock who became a hooker. Dane Wilson was a centre who became a prop. This was all down to coaching and strength and conditioning. Rugby games are won up front. You have a dominant scrum the backs gain a yard in pace. That is why Barker is strong. They up end the apple cart and reteach and coach well. Look at Aiden Galloway. For his last 5 years at Barker he was a loose forward. Now he is starting XV on the wing. Barkers coaching is the team first. Every player plays for his team mate first. Personal glory just does not cut it. Its why wearing the Red jersey at Barker is so valued.