• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
18/17 Waves win with a try on death. Typical Barker Waverly game. It was never over. These 2 teams are so close. The Possesion was all Waverly in 2nd half. Barker lost a lot of line out ball. The Waves big boys were relentless all day. The bigger team Won. Just

The bigger team won. Just ? Damning with faint praise there methinks. Another view could be 'Team that put 90 + on a team the week before fails to beat another team reduced to 14 players for a quarter of the game.' Anyway sound like a great game given the closeness of the scores regardless.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
If any Waverly supporter takes pride in their teams 2 yellow cards 10 min from full time need to have a serious look at themselves... With a Super rugby ref in charge their basis had now doubt, especially to every spectator on sideline. This game was close. Barker will rue the lost lineout while Waves will rue the 3 missed penalties. Waverly were the better side. By one point exactly. It’s games like this that makes CAS rugby so compelling.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, that second round makes everything a fair bit clearer. Waverley and Barker are a cut above the rest of the schools. Knox, Cranbrook and Trinity are roughly similar in standard, and St Aloysius is a fair way behind.

All of which suggests that Waverley will be at least joint premiers, because while one upset can't be ruled out, it seems highly unlikely that there will be two.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Last year was a better game, heartbreak at the end for Waves last year and Barker this year. Waves deserved the win but Barker looked fitter but smaller so I can't understand why the continual pick and drive and not use the backs to run the opposition off their feet. A lot of silly mistakes and turnovers. The Waves scrum was much better but two cards for shoulder charging is not a good look.

The presence of the Police Helicopter in the first half was unnerving, were they checking on the crowd numbers. The old boys on the hill don't do anything for the reputation of the school. A bit of banter is fun but continual abuse is pretty poor, along with the woman screeching on the grandstand side made you want earplugs.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
WOW Waverley scrum....to me was difference.

Guessing having a Dunning there would be big part of it

Goal kicking certainly wasn’t waves highlight ... 3 easy kicks and 2 kickers used

Full credit to Barker ... played great in testing conditions

Kyle Bowen the 15 ... wow he is what 170 cms and slight frame , but he was electric

Fast hands and feet. Is he young... year 11?

I can see how Aloys got carved up by him

Anyways agree probably wasn’t conditions for a spectacular game , but great arm wrestle

Full credit to both teams ... Waverley lucky that Ill discipline (albeit not diabolical) didn’t cost them

I guess they have one hand on the trophy, given other results

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The Waves Barker match had everything that typifies these two schools. Waves certainly had the size in the pack, but other than Barker accidentally kicking ball back in the scrum twice, both sides were able to win their own ball despite pressure from the opposition on their feeds. The lineouts were more of a lottery. Not from crooked throws but just being either over thrown or mistimed.
I watched the Waves warm up and they were much different to Newington who were similar size. These lads looked fitter.
Barker were missing 1st choice 2nd rower Mark Green from last week but got back Capt Dan Stovold who went into 2nd row while Dion Yazdani ( a prop) played 6.
The opening ten minutes was good rugby. The occasional showers made the ball slippery but this did not affect either team.
Waves had all the ball in the opening 10 min, and when Barker finally got some ball, some hard straight running by Stovold and Yazdani saw the opening points.
Waves hit back with a penalty in front to Hugh Johnson and then after a further 15 min with ball in hand they scored a great team try in the corner to Zach Smith-Karim. The conversion was wide which put Waves in front 8/7. The forward clash was pretty epic. Waves big ball runners, Jahnke-Tavana and Fretton were wearing Barker down. The tackling was equally impressive as Waves were always thratening ascendance. With about 5 to go a kick by Waves to Barkers fullback Kyle Bowen lead to the best try of the game. He stepped accelerated and sliced open the Waves backs. With Ben Graham in support it went through two sets of hands before 9 Harrison dived over. With Wheels adding extras Barker went into half time 14/8 up.
The 2nd half with Waves running downhill was all the big double Vee. They never gave up. Capt Will Baker had a good game running support to the 10 DiBartolo ensuring quick turn over ball. The game was played deep in Barkers half for the remainder. A try to I think Charlie Barber put Waves within 1 point of Barker with what seemed like 5 min to go. 2 missed penalties with one right in front let Barker off the hook. The restart sore Barker regather and earn a penalty 48m out. Mitch Wheels calmly slotted the three point to extend Barker lead to 17/13.The game hung in the balance. A try on full time gave the win to Waves.

Jonte

Bob McCowan (2)
QP did not disappoint this afternoon 1st, 2nd, and 3rds all good games. Started my day at Barker at 8am.

Waverley won all but 2 games today. So a good day out for the Blue and Gold

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Last year was a better game, heartbreak at the end for Waves last year and Barker this year. Waves deserved the win but Barker looked fitter but smaller so I can't understand why the continual pick and drive and not use the backs to run the opposition off their feet. A lot of silly mistakes and turnovers. The Waves scrum was much better but two cards for shoulder charging is not a good look.

The presence of the Police Helicopter in the first half was unnerving, were they checking on the crowd numbers. The old boys on the hill don't do anything for the reputation of the school. A bit of banter is fun but continual abuse is pretty poor, along with the woman screeching on the grandstand side made you want earplugs.

Fair comments Flavio,

Old boys from pretty much all schools, not just Waverley, are young and can be knuckleheads, I have seen the same before at other schools, and apologies for lack of earplugs, you always get 1, at least!

More importantly, a couple of things to note from what I saw on the Aloys v Barker 1sts game last week, and last years Waves 16as team.

The Aloys 1sts team looked young and very small, always goers, but it physically looked a mismatch, and it certainly was.
This years Waves team is made up of 5 x 16AS team in the scrum from 2019, front row, second row and no 8.
That team hasn't lost a CAS game ever, and last year beat Joeys, View, Kings, Auggies etc, undefeated.

So the forwards were dominate over a Barker pack that is all/almost all year 12, happy to be corrected.
So 2021 is looking promising, and the backs are sprinkled over the 1s, 2s and 3s, all those teams won convincingly today as well.

The 1sts score probably should have been more of a Waves victory than the score indicated, missing way too many kicks and finishing with 13 men.

I know my old Barker mates on this website, and they know who they are, are very balanced, and we ALL agree the meetings between these 2 teams are precisely what schoolboy rugby is all about as Rod S aptly pointed out.
IT IS AWESOME!!!

Finally for all the younger Barker site apprentices, funny but we haven't heard from you, but that's ok.
Barker3Peat and Barker4Peat, you can now change your names to Barker0Peat.
A new era may be emerging.

Long live schoolboy rugby!!!!!

Jonte

Bob McCowan (2)
The Waves Barker match had everything that typifies these two schools. Waves certainly had the size in the pack, but other than Barker accidentally kicking ball back in the scrum twice, both sides were able to win their own ball despite pressure from the opposition on their feeds. The lineouts were more of a lottery. Not from crooked throws but just being either over thrown or mistimed.
I watched the Waves warm up and they were much different to Newington who were similar size. These lads looked fitter.
Barker were missing 1st choice 2nd rower Mark Green from last week but got back Capt Dan Stovold who went into 2nd row while Dion Yazdani ( a prop) played 6.
The opening ten minutes was good rugby. The occasional showers made the ball slippery but this did not affect either team.
Waves had all the ball in the opening 10 min, and when Barker finally got some ball, some hard straight running by Stovold and Yazdani saw the opening points.
Waves hit back with a penalty in front to Hugh Johnson and then after a further 15 min with ball in hand they scored a great team try in the corner to Zach Smith-Karim. The conversion was wide which put Waves in front 8/7. The forward clash was pretty epic. Waves big ball runners, Jahnke-Tavana and Fretton were wearing Barker down. The tackling was equally impressive as Waves were always thratening ascendance. With about 5 to go a kick by Waves to Barkers fullback Kyle Bowen lead to the best try of the game. He stepped accelerated and sliced open the Waves backs. With Ben Graham in support it went through two sets of hands before 9 Harrison dived over. With Wheels adding extras Barker went into half time 14/8 up.
The 2nd half with Waves running downhill was all the big double Vee. They never gave up. Capt Will Baker had a good game running support to the 10 DiBartolo ensuring quick turn over ball. The game was played deep in Barkers half for the remainder. A try to I think Charlie Barber put Waves within 1 point of Barker with what seemed like 5 min to go. 2 missed penalties with one right in front let Barker off the hook. The restart sore Barker regather and earn a penalty 48m out. Mitch Wheels calmly slotted the three point to extend Barker lead to 17/13.The game hung in the balance. A try on full time gave the win to Waves.
One correction Volkman scored all three tries

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Completely unsubstantiated rumour but I heard someone say that one reason for Aloys peculiar weakness this year is that some players in the Athletics squad have decided to make that their priority over rugby, hence diluting the team. Anybody heard similar or is this just a bit of scurrilous rumour-mongering ?

Fair comments Flavio,

Old boys from pretty much all schools, not just Waverley, are young and can be knuckleheads, I have seen the same before at other schools, and apologies for lack of earplugs, you always get 1, at least!

More importantly, a couple of things to note from what I saw on the Aloys v Barker 1sts game last week, and last years Waves 16as team.

The Aloys 1sts team looked young and very small, always goers, but it physically looked a mismatch, and it certainly was.
This years Waves team is made up of 5 x 16AS team in the scrum from 2019, front row, second row and no 8.
That team hasn't lost a CAS game ever, and last year beat Joeys, View, Kings, Auggies etc, undefeated.

So the forwards were dominate over a Barker pack that is all/almost all year 12, happy to be corrected.
So 2021 is looking promising, and the backs are sprinkled over the 1s, 2s and 3s, all those teams won convincingly today as well.

The 1sts score probably should have been more of a Waves victory than the score indicated, missing way too many kicks and finishing with 13 men.

I know my old Barker mates on this website, and they know who they are, are very balanced, and we ALL agree the meetings between these 2 teams are precisely what schoolboy rugby is all about as Rod S aptly pointed out.
IT IS AWESOME!!!

Finally for all the younger Barker site apprentices, funny but we haven't heard from you, but that's ok.
Barker3Peat and Barker4Peat, you can now change your names to Barker0Peat.
A new era may be emerging.

Long live schoolboy rugby!!!!!

Barker3peat

Stan Wickham (3)
Waverley lucky today. All calls went their way. Barker were stronger across the park and played better all day. Just the bounce of the ball really.

From a school perspective, pretty terrible Barker only won two games today.

The fourths and the 16c’s. Might need to consider what’s being coached through the school for such a weak result.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Waverley lucky today. All calls went their way. Barker were stronger across the park and played better all day. Just the bounce of the ball really.

The fourths and the 16c’s. Might need to consider what’s being coached through the school for such a weak result.

Rubbish,

Waves should have won by more, in the end Barker were playing 13 men, sour grapes B0P.

Yep Barker won 2 games out of approx 20+, and lost comfortably in every game including most A teams.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)

Have to agree with you here B0P. Especially with the Barker Head of rugby liking comments like this online as posted in the images below.

Attachments

• FB6D5C89-AF7C-4CB2-9BB4-3D657AF9C840.jpeg
    FB6D5C89-AF7C-4CB2-9BB4-3D657AF9C840.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 359
  • D27B55A1-7202-4E9B-BBE0-DE11B53F7CFE.jpeg
    D27B55A1-7202-4E9B-BBE0-DE11B53F7CFE.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 339
  • 06A711A8-7385-43F0-B88B-203EFF04CEFF.jpeg
    06A711A8-7385-43F0-B88B-203EFF04CEFF.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 329

Jonte

Bob McCowan (2)
Have to agree with you here B0P. Especially with the Head of rugby liking comments like this online as posted in the images below.
The mighty 14C had to battle a 14 to 1 penalty count as well. Another disgraceful biased refereeing display from an adult. I really do not understand who this benefits