• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
You are indeed right Newbie but given a choice IMO the Schools pathway looks much more appealing.

Without a doubt! NSWJRU will always be the poor second cousin to NSWSRU when it comes to 16 years and over!

Most lads I have spoken to would cherish a NSWSRU jersey over a NSWJRU jersey any day of the week!

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
What is the 'Representative' (i.e. SJRU or CJRU) eligibility for those who did not play at the State Champs through either conscious 'Non Participation' and 'Injury'?

Extremely difficult - but 60+ boys will be drafted into 4 squads - North, West, South & Baa Baas, before they get trimmed down to SJRU. U15 & U16 (can't recall for U17). Bigger question is - is there really the talent to do 4 squads this season in U16? Only 8 city teams thsi season in the championships.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Without a doubt! NSWJRU will always be the poor second cousin to NSWSRU when it comes to 16 years and over!

Most lads I have spoken to would cherish a NSWSRU jersey over a NSWJRU jersey any day of the week!

Newbie - old buddy, old mate - having watched a few games at St Lukes - your bold statement strikes me as ill informed - its the same colour afterall.

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
Extremely difficult - but 60+ boys will be drafted into 4 squads - North, West, South & Baa Baas, before they get trimmed down to SJRU. U15 & U16 (can't recall for U17). Bigger question is - is there really the talent to do 4 squads this season in U16? Only 8 city teams thsi season in the championships.

Sort of quoting SJRU:

After the State Championships representative teams will be selected in the Under 15's for Northern Zone, Southern Zone and Western Zone and in the Under 16's for Northern Zone, Southern Zone, Western Zone and Barbarians. These teams will participate in the NSW Regionals in July. It should be noted that in the Under 16's the selection process is different as there is a Barbarians team and so each zone will select their starting 15 first and the then the Barbarians will select their 15 and then back to the zones for their bench players.

The highest placed Sydney team from the NSWJRU State Championships, as well as the Under 15 and Under 16 Sydney Teams selected after the Regionals and the Under 17 team selected after the NSWJRU State Championships will all play Country at Bathurst in early August.

After the Sydney v Country games the Under 15 and Under 17 NSW teams are selected to play Queensland and ACT after the end of the Club season. The Under 16 Sydney team participates in the Under 16 National Carnival.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
It looks like it rained last night here in Sydney. I hope the weather holds up today otherwise it will detract from a great spectacle!

Anyone willing to have a crack at the SJRU and CJRU U/17's teams? The selection of the 15's and 16's happens after regional so it's somewhat futile having a dig now!

Hi Newbie the Under 17's CJRU team has been selected at the Country Championships end of April. ( Although after the schools tournament and selection may need to call upon some shadow players should any CJRU go through to schools.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Well I will have a go at naming a Sydney team. First time I have ever had a go at it and I now know how hard it is!!

1. Fred Fiala-Motu (Randwick)
2. Oliver Takiveikaya (North/South)
3. Puipa Maa (Parramatta)
4. Lachlann Taylor (Parramatta)
5. Cameron Orr (West Harbour)
6. Jarrod Matairavula (Parramatta)
7. Joshua Taweel (West Harbour)
8. Paea Pua (North/South)
9. Brent Wicker (Parramatta)
10. Cale Anjeloni (Parramatta)
11. Jonas Williams (Eastwood)
12. Trent Winterstein (Parramatta)
13. Eric Aukofolou (North/South)
14. Joshua Tonpi (West Harbour)
15. Ben Cotton (Eastwood)

16. Mathew Pond (Parramatta)
17. Nicholas Koutsakis (Randwick)
18. Brad Korac (Parramatta)
19. Adam Hanigan (Warringah)
20. Zachary Wheeler (Randwick)
21. Connor Finn (Sydney Uni)
22. Dean Polonga (North/South)
23. Niu Tupou (Parramatta)

I did not see a great deal of Randwick (Coogee) play and so my inclusions were based on what little I did see. They are going well but I think because they are all from the same club meant they already had cohesion which the other teams gained over the weekend.

What do you think?

Z

zulumuster

Well I will have a go at naming a Sydney team. First time I have ever had a go at it and I now know how hard it is!!

1. Fred Fiala-Motu (Randwick)
2. Oliver Takiveikaya (North/South)
3. Puipa Maa (Parramatta)
4. Lachlann Taylor (Parramatta)
5. Cameron Orr (West Harbour)
6. Jarrod Matairavula (Parramatta)
7. Joshua Taweel (West Harbour)
8. Paea Pua (North/South)
9. Brent Wicker (Parramatta)
10. Cale Anjeloni (Parramatta)
11. Jonas Williams (Eastwood)
12. Trent Winterstein (Parramatta)
13. Eric Aukofolou (North/South)
14. Joshua Tonpi (West Harbour)
15. Ben Cotton (Eastwood)

16. Mathew Pond (Parramatta)
17. Nicholas Koutsakis (Randwick)
18. Brad Korac (Parramatta)
19. Adam Hanigan (Warringah)
20. Zachary Wheeler (Randwick)
21. Connor Finn (Sydney Uni)
22. Dean Polonga (North/South)
23. Niu Tupou (Parramatta)

I did not see a great deal of Randwick (Coogee) play and so my inclusions were based on what little I did see. They are going well but I think because they are all from the same club meant they already had cohesion which the other teams gained over the weekend.

What do you think?

This is a very one sided view and not at all based on performance at the comp.

Lets deal with the silly comment about Randwick being a club team (presumably this is seen as "unfair" in your opinion): If you look carefully at MANY of the other team sheets they are also based on one club. Try Warringah for example - All Newport bar two -Didn't help them in the Semi this afternoon as Randwick beat them as well. Or lets try Manly - They have tried hiding the fact that they are a one team side by saying some were from Harlequins and some from Raiders. They have been playing as one team for a couple of years. My point would be that each Division has put up the team they are happy represents their jumper. Saying they are one team is just whinging!!

Randwick and South/Norths were treated shamefully by being the only teams in their pool not to be gifted a win with the bye. How was this done? not drawn out of the hat!! Both teams were rewarded for good effort though by their appearance in the semis. Well done to both teams and Randwick for their win and place in the Final. By my scoring they are the only undefeated team in the final tomorrow: Parra had a draw.

I think we could afford to see a far greater representation of players from Randwick in the rep team too. One run on player in your selection from a team that has gone undefeated. That is one eyed rubbish!!

Bill McLean (32)
Newbie - old buddy, old mate - having watched a few games at St Lukes - your bold statement strikes me as ill informed - its the same colour afterall.

This is what I have been missing, a good disagreement with that know-it-all MOTH (with the greatest of deference to him of course ... ... ... lol).

I'm sorry mate but please explain why the lads whose names appear below are all seeking selection in their respective school association teams but have decided to shun the State Championship this year (as they all competed in 2011)? Please note that the same were selected in the U/16 SJRU or NSWSRU teams last year. They are:

Jack McCalman (GPS - Kings)
Tepai Moeroa (GPS - Newington)
Andrew Kellaway (GPS - Scots)
Harry Jones (GPS - Kings)
Jack Redden (GPS - Riverview)
Lachlan Cannell CHS - KHS)
Oliver Kamp (GPS - Scots)
Malaki Afele (CAS - TGS)
Adrian Delore (CHS - WHS)

Correct me if I am wrong but other SJRU and NSWSRU 2011 reps who were registered to play, and who I didn't see play this weekend were:

Brandon Paenga-Amosa (CHS - ESHS)
David Morris (GPS)
Jamison Clark (CAS - TGS)
Cameron Orr (CAS - TGS)
Anthony Vasilis (GPS - Newington); injured
Michael Morgan (NSWCCC - MCK); injured

Other notable omission were the likes of Junior Satiu, Jake Roberts, and George Taufa (who was actually a SJRU Rep in 2011). There are probably more!

Ultimately I have only used the U/17's as an example as the NSWJRU will not be selecting an U/16 team in 2012, nonetheless please explain to me how the above does not support my supposed "ill informed" statement?

Bill McLean (32)
This is a very one sided view and not at all based on performance at the comp!!

I agree with you to the extent that Randwick definitely deserve to have some players included in this team!

I know Vasilis was injured, and should be an automatic inclusion if he will be fit and ready! However this lad should go close to making one of the NSWSRU teams (again if fit and ready for the trials - however it doesn't seem like it - would love some info here with respect to his injury).

The centres played well; I was particularly pleased will Alvarado. He was actually selected in the Bulldogs SG Ball summer squad this year but didn't quite make it unfortunately!

Freddy Motu is a class player (and a very decent lad as well), however does he seem to be carrying a bit of extra weight? BTW was he not at Waverley last year? He seemed to be doing a bit of heavy puffing which is not good sign at rep selections.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
I think we could afford to see a far greater representation of players from Randwick in the rep team too. One run on player in your selection from a team that has gone undefeated. That is one eyed rubbish!![/quote]

Dear Zulumuster,

My comments were made because I realised after listing my team that I didn't know many of the Randwick players. That is also the reason for my comment about how difficult it is to select a team. My "silly" comment about Randwick being a club team is a fact, and the only relevance is that I was acknowledging that the team played very well and may have had a jump on the others because of that cohesion.

Your comments suggest your allegiance is a strong one and I would love to see your team that would display a much fairer distribution as you see it.

A very aggressive defence on your part towards a person who acknowledged his own shortcomings and was simply hoping to start an interesting adult conversation about how people felt the boys had performed.

Why is it that people always assume they are being attacked!

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
[quoteUltimately I have only used the U/17's as an example as the NSWJRU will not be selecting an U/16 team in 2012, nonetheless please explain to me how the above does not support my supposed "ill informed" statement?[/quote]

As a matter of interest how will the U16s be selected for the nationals if there is no NSWJRU side?

regards,

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Hey Whatever
In the Nationals there are 3 NSW Teams: NSW Country, NSW All Schools and City - which is the final team picked after regionals. This city team play in the Nationals. last Year the 16 s NSW team was selected however the games scheduled to play was the weekend after the nationals and was represented by the kids that could still squeeze one more game of rugby out that week. With all the rugby this age group plays it makes sense to not have a 16's NSW team selected after City V Country.

J

JC Rugby101

This is what I have been missing, a good disagreement with that know-it-all MOTH (with the greatest of deference to him of course . . . lol).

I'm sorry mate but please explain why the lads whose names appear below are all seeking selection in their respective school association teams but have decided to shun the State Championship this year (as they all competed in 2011)? Please note that the same were selected in the U/16 SJRU or NSWSRU teams last year. They are:

Jack McCalman (GPS - Kings)
Tepai Moeroa (GPS - Newington)
Andrew Kellaway (GPS - Scots)
Harry Jones (GPS - Kings)
Jack Redden (GPS - Riverview)
Lachlan Cannell CHS - KHS)
Oliver Kamp (GPS - Scots)
Malaki Afele (CAS - TGS)
Adrian Delore (CHS - WHS)

Correct me if I am wrong but other SJRU and NSWSRU 2011 reps who were registered to play, and who I didn't see play this weekend were:

Brandon Paenga-Amosa (CHS - ESHS)
David Morris (GPS)
Jamison Clark (CAS - TGS)
Cameron Orr (CAS - TGS)
Anthony Vasilis (GPS - Newington); injured
Michael Morgan (NSWCCC - MCK); injured

Other notable omission were the likes of Junior Satiu, Jake Roberts, and George Taufa (who was actually a SJRU Rep in 2011). There are probably more!

Ultimately I have only used the U/17's as an example as the NSWJRU will not be selecting an U/16 team in 2012, nonetheless please explain to me how the above does not support my supposed "ill informed" statement?

Saw Cam Orr play today

Bill McLean (32)
What do you think?

I agree with your forwards, however I have feeling that Taylor's yellow card may cost him a spot on the team! I would also move Taweel to the bench and slot Vasilis into the number eight role. Matairavula to open side!

With respect to the halves Whicker and Cale Angeloni look the goods (but I will reserve final judgment until after tomorrow as the Randwick pairing are playing well too).

I would have as my centres Kagiassis/Winterstein at IC, and Morgan at OC (but like Vasilis - if fit and well). My wingers would include Alvarado and Winterstein (if Kagiassis is playing centre). At fullback I would have Jamison Clark

My bench would consist of:
Nick Koutsoukis
Ealasaia Lagaaia
Ola Moala
Hector Titterton
Paea Pua
Eric Aukofolau
Joshua Bradbrook
Niu Tupou

Status
Not open for further replies.