• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
As I understand it the 15 for each zone is picked and then the Barbarians side is picked. The reserves for each zone and then ba bas are picked.
If that's right then unless you're in the selection room and given that all the teams are announced in afferbeck lauder you can't know the pecking order. So marginal calls get may be apparent or difficult to identify by the time the teams are announced A-Z.
In 15s last year I am told - I was not involved - that the coaches made decisions from the first training session that cut across the apparent order of selections.
There needs to be complete independence in order to avoid complaints of bias but are there enough disinterested volunteers to fill those spots?
I think you have it pretty right IS. So you need enough disinterested volunteers who have watched enough of the age group to know the boys as well as the parents so that when it comes to selections they are not swayed by those with an interest. Watching the state champs is a start but greater disinterested knowledge ie watching at the club level would be even better. So I will leave it to you to organize it. The first 15 are usually right (even the mums would agree). Its the next 10 that cause the most angst and can often slip in due to the interested parties pressure at selection time on the disinterested selectors.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
SJRU MSZ Under 16 Squad

Daniel BELL, Southern Districts
Guy BEYNON, Randwick
Max FREEMAN, Southern Districts
Isaac GENSCHER, Randwick
Thomas GREVILLE, West Harbour
Cooper HARRIS, Southern Districts
Mitchell HOWSE, Southern Districts
Ben LEWIS, Southern Districts
Reece MACINTOSH, Randwick
Sam MATENGA, Randwick
Jordan MORRIS, West Harbour
Chase PAEA, Randwick
Patrick PELLEGRINI, Randwick
Christian POIDEVIN, Randwick
Liam PORTER, Southern Districts
Karaitiana SA'U, Southern Districts
Tom SERHON, Randwick
Liam SMITH, Randwick
Alex SPOONER, Randwick
Zach STEWART, Southern Districts
Willem THOMPSON, Southern Districts
Harry TODD, Randwick
Rhys WHENUAROA, Randwick
Good luck to MSZ with selection of players limited to 2 districts compared to 4 (3 very strong districts) for other Zone sides. It's a real shame Easts & Uni (at least Uni) can't throw some money & put real energy into developing grass roots rugby in their districts rather than pillaging from other districts at colts level & beyond so that MSZ is stronger at junior level & us "Hobbits" (to quote HJ) get to play some more rugby south of the Harbour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
Scots Glengarry program - good as it may be - stuffs Easts in the U15 age group each year. Typically half or more of any age group is at Scots. Btw There were a few Easts players in the randwick rep team and two in MSZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I think you have it pretty right IS. So you need enough disinterested volunteers who have watched enough of the age group to know the boys as well as the parents so that when it comes to selections they are not swayed by those with an interest. Watching the state champs is a start but greater disinterested knowledge ie watching at the club level would be even better. So I will leave it to you to organize it. The first 15 are usually right (even the mums would agree). Its the next 10 that cause the most angst and can often slip in due to the interested parties pressure at selection time on the disinterested selectors.
Boys and more importantly parents need to get past the melodrama of jersey numbers, and whether they make zone sides, or baa baas. The most important thing is that the boys have gone to the next level to play in the regionals, and maybe get a run for Sydney. When we went through some years back, I think numbers were allocated as a result of the state champs assessment, but that did not guarantee anything. I can only assume that the zone coaches will make further judgments on starting sides, not based on jersey numbers, but things like how those boys come together as a unit from various districts, what new combinations work better, and form going into the tournament etc. I have seen so many kids in different age groups with bench numbers and from baa baas go through to higher rep honours. The selection process just starts again in 2 1/2 weeks that's all.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Boys and more importantly parents need to get past the melodrama of jersey numbers, and whether they make zone sides, or baa baas. The most important thing is that the boys have gone to the next level to play in the regionals, and maybe get a run for Sydney. When we went through some years back, I think numbers were allocated as a result of the state champs assessment, but that did not guarantee anything. I can only assume that the zone coaches will make further judgments on starting sides, not based on jersey numbers, but things like how those boys come together as a unit from various districts, what new combinations work better, and form going into the tournament etc. I have seen so many kids in different age groups with bench numbers and from baa baas go through to higher rep honours. The selection process just starts again in 2 1/2 weeks that's all.
So true BT. A few years back one of my favs (not from my club) got 23 at the Sydney level. He was pretty upset so I had a chat cheered him up and he started in the NSW level. Numbers don't mean anything

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Something I don't get about Sydney selections is they are announced straight after the last game on day 2. In other words day two is a dead rubber as the squad has been picked at the very least after the first two games. So what is the point of the regionals, is it part of the selection process or not?

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Something I don't get about Sydney selections is they are announced straight after the last game on day 2. In other words day two is a dead rubber as the squad has been picked at the very least after the first two games. So what is the point of the regionals, is it part of the selection process or not?
I think you said it. It is " part " of the selection process with JSC and body of work

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
I think you said it. It is " part " of the selection process with JSC and body of work

I find it a little odd. If I were selecting I would like to see one on one match ups as well as performance over as many games as possible, particularly in the case where there may be little between the front runners for a position.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
I find myself agreeing with you Slugga which disturbs me a little.

In the past I don't think they do announce the 16's Sydney team immediately as they have to negotiate with the Schools team to ensure there are no double-ups. I have heard Sydney get first choice this year but not sure if that means they get first choice on all players or first choice on one player and then Schools get first choice for the next player.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
I find myself agreeing with you Slugga which disturbs me a little.

In the past I don't think they do announce the 16's Sydney team immediately as they have to negotiate with the Schools team to ensure there are no double-ups. I have heard Sydney get first choice this year but not sure if that means they get first choice on all players or first choice on one player and then Schools get first choice for the next player.

Don't lose any sleep over it Rugby Addict, no doubt we can find something to disagree about in the future.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I find it a little odd. If I were selecting I would like to see one on one match ups as well as performance over as many games as possible, particularly in the case where there may be little between the front runners for a position.
Slugga I agree. But this is the final piece to the puzzle not the whole puzzle. Schools and SJRU PICK their teams and boys who were picked in both teams are then horse traded which effectively weakens both teams. Qld I heard isn't coming down this year so not a huge problem

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why will SJRU get first choice over Schools this year?

There is no National Under 16's Championships being run. Unless the NSW Invitational (U16s) proposed for the October Long Weekend will feature U16 sides from NSW Schools RU, NSW Country JRU, SJRU and ACT JRU.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Why will SJRU get first choice over Schools this year?

There is no National Under 16's Championships being run. Unless the NSW Invitational (U16s) proposed for the October Long Weekend will feature U16 sides from NSW Schools RU, NSW Country JRU, SJRU and ACT JRU.
The goss is that it will go ahead, with all involved. I think both schools and Sydney will stick to what they know so there is no public fighting for players and last minute swaps which could look a bit ugly

Jezza

Bob McCowan (2)
Better late than never....but.....
A big thumbs up to the organisers and local volunteers at the U'12's rugby at Camden. This whole long week-end was what U12's rugby should be about. Fun, friendships, sausage sizzles, and b(l)eery mornings!
As a father of a player, and volunteer helper, I just wanted to throw in my 10 cents worth.
Congratulations to the Penrith Emu's for taking out the comp. Their side was fast, big and assertive. Their style of play contrasted with the Manly side, who were smaller, well drilled, and courageous. I think the final result speaks for itself!
Top 5 highlights of the week-end;
- The grounds and surrounds were immaculate.
- The locals (Camden Rams) were relaxed and well organised.
- The weather. Sunscreen all round for three days, with only a sprinkle at the end!
- The kids from all the teams forming tunnels for each other, cheering everyone on, and swapping "war stories" over the week-end with the kids from all the other teams. They really showed what it was all about.
- Seeing the kids be torn between meeting a current Waratah and watching the game in front of them!
Top 3 lowlights of the week-end;
- Some of the parents being utter dicks. Seriously, if you want to bag out volunteer officials, then do a course, buy a flag or a whistle, and have a crack yourself! Can we play games where no cheering/abuse/verbal vomit is allowed? The kids on the field can't hear it, and no-one would miss it.
- Parents/coaches confusing U12's rugby with International Rugby. Please see previous point. "Sir, can we stop the clock for this injury time, as we might miss out on making the finals?" What a goose.
- Coaches being utter dicks. Seriously, asking U'12's to "tackle until you hear bones break"? Grow up.
By the way, and in support of previous posts and threads, the current Waratah didn't play junior rugby....
So in summary - a fabulous week-end was had by all, the kids showed everyone how to be great winners and losers, the beer was cold (and cheap), the sausages (and pies) were hot, and Rugby was the real winner!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The goss is that it will go ahead, with all involved. I think both schools and Sydney will stick to what they know so there is no public fighting for players and last minute swaps which could look a bit ugly.

Good to see that the annual Gathering of the Freemasons Selectors will occur. I predict that fun and games will be held, as they have been for the last decade, and that is before any referee has blown the whistle.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Slugga I agree. But this is the final piece to the puzzle not the whole puzzle. Schools and SJRU PICK their teams and boys who were picked in both teams are then horse traded which effectively weakens both teams. Qld I heard isn't coming down this year so not a huge problem

I reckon that's right. After the selectors have seen some club, the state champs and the regionals, they will have been drafting their Sydney side along the way across the state champs based on accumulated performances. All games at the regionals are relevant, even the Sunday matches, up to the last to confirm their thinking. If the Sunday final had a number if contentious head to heads it would be highly useful in finalising a side. I think it's often true that the first 15 or so picked is rarely much of a surprise to most, ( some years occasionally prove that wrong, but true for most), but the really difficult part of it is the bench. What flexibility you need, what cover is available, and it often the last 8 or so where there is the most debate. Without the final day to consider, the final selections would often be even more contentious and attract even more bleeting from the conspiracists.

In the lineout

Allen Oxlade (6)
The goss is that it will go ahead, with all involved. I think both schools and Sydney will stick to what they know so there is no public fighting for players and last minute swaps which could look a bit ugly

So this is where i get a bit lost with the selections. What happens if a boy gets picked in U16 CHS and also the Sydney team. Who has the choice of where he plays, him or the respective body? If he does then go to say CHS, is a boy then brought in from a Met Zone team who initially missed Sydney selection?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ In the immortal words of Emmerson, Lake, and Palmer: "Welcome Back, My Friends, To the Show that Never Ends, Ladies and Gentlemen ... ... ... Under 16 Selections".
Emerson,_Lake_%26_Palmer_-_Welcome_Back_My_Friends_to_the_Show_That_Never_Ends.jpg

Eddie Obeid and Joe Tripodi have nothing on what happens behind the scenes to select the SJRU and NSW Schools teams. Two selection teams each out to prove that they are better than the other mob at selecting THEIR team from the same pool of boys.

Best advice to your lad, is to play the best footy he can and bugger the consequences whether he makes SJRU or Schools. He (and you) have no choice or influence in what mob he ends up in.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So this is where i get a bit lost with the selections. What happens if a boy gets picked in U16 CHS and also the Sydney team. Who has the choice of where he plays, him or the respective body? If he does then go to say CHS, is a boy then brought in from a Met Zone team who initially missed Sydney selection?
OK. Lets start at the top of the pyramid for 16s rugby. There are Three Rep teams, NSW Schools Sydney Juniors and NSW Country. All boys are at school so they can represent NSW Schools. To get there they have a carnival and trial matches in their groups. ie' GPS , CHS, CAS, ISA etc
Sydney Juniors can only be picked from boys who play club rugby and go through their rep team to their zone team and finally the Sydney team.
Your boy is probably doing both pathways and funnily enough the various carnivals dont clash.
After the Zone carnival next weekend Sydney will have pencilled in the team they want. Schools will also have a team of boys they want. The two selection groups go into a room and any name on both lists gets haggled over to produce two team one called Sydney Juniors and one called NSW Schools. In theory your boy does have a choice but as this is done behind closed doors you don't know whether the other team wanted him.
If your really confident you can say you don't want to be considered for one of the teams.
I hope this gets you a little closer to understanding the issues
By the way Country gets raped by all involved because they lose boys to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.