• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

GAS

Bob McCowan (2)
Congratulations to all debaters on being selected - an excellent achievement !

Does anyone have any insight on the firsts debaters ? - aside from Iris Lee ofc !

All of them are skilled and part of the Barker 1sts team that achieved a perfect 5-0 record to emerge victorious in CAS.

DanSeeto88

Frank Row (1)
Congratulations to all debaters on being selected - an excellent achievement !

Does anyone have any insight on the firsts debaters ? - aside from Iris Lee ofc !
I echo my congratulations to all the CAS debaters who have been selected. A little surprise to see no Aloys students in 1sts, however, I think this is testament to the strength of the Barker program in their undefeated CAS campaign.

No surprises about Iris Lee but very glad to see Jeremy Davie’s 1s selection. I think he is best known for his Youtube channel where I first saw him (BentleyDavie Tutors) but he is a fine debater and highly confident speaker. I believe he has the self-professed nickname “The Package” which speaks partially to his arrogance but also the fact he always delivers in big games. I was a little surprised he has not featured at state level with the debating prowess he possesses so he will be more than capable of performing well in reps debates. His flexibility as 2nd and 3rd speaker, quick-wittedness, humour and pizzazz is a great asset to the team.

Very excited to see the results of these debates as I think CAS could definitely cause some upsets to the star studded GPS and CHS teams.

Interested to hear everyone else’s thoughts on CAS selections and Jeremy in particular.

Gears

Frank Row (1)
I am keen to see some reps' predictions. Here’s my brief early overview:

CHS are the clear favourites as they boast the Australian Captain, two state reserves, and the superstar debater from SBHS. I expect them to win.

GPS, I would rank a very close second. Having observed both Shore and Scots' state speakers this GPS season, I must say both are truly exceptional and clearly stand out amongst the rest. I expect them to be joined by a member from the Joeys team, who have also been exceptional this season.

CAS would be my third pick with the potential to cause an upset. They boast a highly skilled state speaker who is a returning member of the team. However, the underperformance by Aloys (still an amazing team) this season makes the team composition hard to predict.

IGSA would be my fourth choice. HOWEVER, I do want to note that this squad is comprised of highly skilled debaters who deserve nothing but praise.

This is truly the closest NSW school debating has been in the many years I have watched it.
I Think that CHS and GPS are a fair way ahead of the others. Predict CHS undefeated (aust captain, state reserves) over GPS who are also quite strong. Archdale to beat CAS for third place.

GPSspectator

Bob McCowan (2)
CHS teams have been announced and I've been told the 1st grade team is comprised of (in alphabetical order):

Abrar Chowdhury (12 SBHS)
Alexia Rigonia (12 Cammergayl)
Anhaar Kareem (11 SGHS)
Darshanik Aryal (12 Ruse)
Visruth Anand (11 SBHS)

Impressive that SBHS maintain two speakers on the 1st Grade team, one of whom as a year 11 will likely be a lock for next year as well. No real surprises I think other than that. 2nd grade has one SBHS speaker and two SGHS speakers (I don't have the exact teams for 2nd and 3rd Grade).

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)
CHS teams have been announced and I've been told the 1st grade team is comprised of (in alphabetical order):

Abrar Chowdhury (12 SBHS)
Alexia Rigonia (12 Cammergayl)
Anhaar Kareem (11 SGHS)
Darshanik Aryal (12 Ruse)
Visruth Anand (11 SBHS)

Impressive that SBHS maintain two speakers on the 1st Grade team, one of whom as a year 11 will likely be a lock for next year as well. No real surprises I think other than that. 2nd grade has one SBHS speaker and two SGHS speakers (I don't have the exact teams for 2nd and 3rd Grade).
Thank you. Do you know if they rotate the 5 across the 3 debates or lock in 3 speakers and drop 2 speakers to the seconds ?

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
congrats to all debaters who have been selected in all teams.

GPS v CHS to decide first place - hope it’s the final round. my pick is GPS to win that one and their other debates.

Not sure who comes third, maybe IGSA beats CAS in a split decision.

RedPolarBear

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone know where to find results for Archdale? IGSA's website only seem to have results from round 1-3, and nothing else...

Asdyjftj

Frank Nicholson (4)
Does anyone know where to find results for Archdale? IGSA's website only seem to have results from round 1-3, and nothing else...

Here's the semi's draw - topic selection and panels in play this week.

SF 1 @ PLC
7B​
Loreto KirribilliMLC
7A​
SCEGGSKambala
8B​
MeridenPLC Sydney
8A​
TaraPLC Sydney
Juniors​
MeridenDanebank
Year 9​
PLC SydneyMLC
Year 10​
QueenwoodMeriden
Seniors​
SCEGGSRoseville

SF 2 @ Abbotsleigh
7B​
AbbotsleighSCEGGS
7A​
RavenswoodRoseville
8B​
RavenswoodSt Catherines
8A​
QueenwoodKambala
Juniors​
RavenswoodWenona
Year 9​
AbbotsleighPymble
Year 10​
SCEGGSAbbotsleigh
Seniors​
Santa SabinaAbbotsleigh

Big Mike

Frank Row (1)
CAS rep debating lists for 2023 appear to be out on their website. Congratulations to all. Thoughts?
1sts:
Iris Lee, Barker (c)
Jeremy Davie, Barker
Anna Steele, Barker
Angus Malcolm, Cranbrook (r)

2nds:
Eamonn O’Loughlin, St Aloysius (c)
Anthony Vassiliadis, Knox
Christian Mossati, St Aloysius
Casper Nicholson, Cranbrook (r)

3rds:
Justin Qin, Barker (c)
Kevin Hao, Knox
Tom Cameron, Knox
Alex Hong, Cranbrook (r)
It seems as if barker has a monopoly on the firsts. Does this raise questions about fairness/favouritism? I personally witnessed some excellent debates from all schools and I wholeheartedly believe that further inquiry into the legitimacy of the situation is pertinent. I could perhaps assemble a change.org petition to re-evaluate the teams - thoughts?

GPSspectator

Bob McCowan (2)
Any predictions for tomorrow's GPS rounds?
Honestly this week is pretty tame. Joeys are big favourites against Kings, SBHS are big favourites against Riverview and Grammar are big favourites against Newington. The main debate will be Scots vs Shore with Scots looking like one of the only two teams who could beat Shore in the rest of their schedule. Both teams have a state speaker but I think Shore are a fair bit stronger as shown by their victories over Grammar and Joeys while Scots lost to Grammar and High.

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thank you. Do you know if they rotate the 5 across the 3 debates or lock in 3 speakers and drop 2 speakers to the seconds ?
Don‘t think they rotate nor do they usually run a 4th as most kids want to debate. So I expect the High students to debate in the 2’s (only because of the other 3 being in the NSW team) and be called Into the 1’s if needed. In any case it’s a top achievement making any rep team.

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
Re the Rep season

The Firsts
A showdown among the NSW team !
I equate the number of state speakers in the team to the number of wins. CHS has 3, GPS has 2, CAS has 1 and IGSA has 0.

The Seconds
Expect it to have lots of PDC and ISDA winners / finalists debating so think this will be closer. CHS/GPS/CAS 2 wins and IGSA who is likely to have an up and coming year 11 team 0 wins.

The Thirds
Usually a year 11 team except for IGSA giving year 10 kids the opportunity. The CAS team looks strong, GPS to have Grammar talent no doubt, CHS to probably have SGHS/Ruse/NSGHS/NSBHS.
I thing GPS has the stronger form so GPS 3 wins/ CAS 2/ CHS 1 and IGSA 0.

So I give GPS the overall win on 7 wins, CHS 6 wins / CAS 5 wins and IGSA 0 wins.

Now I want to say that I really really hope I’m wrong wrt IGSA as I think there is incredible talent in the firsts, they’re just against stacked teams. I do predict IGSA will be incredibly strong next year with all the year 11’s and 10’s gaining invaluable debating experience.

Good luck to all, making any team is amazing !

BJones

Bob McCowan (2)
The GPS Representatives Squad has been unveiled, as is customary, following the completion of Round 4. In a surprising turn of events, both the Shore and Scots State Speakers will be absent from this year's representatives season. However I still would expect the GPS team to be strong with Grammar speakers.