• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2024

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
After a 2023 season that was one of the most even and exciting in many years, 2024 promises to be even better. 2023’s Year 11 had huge amounts of representation in 1st Grade and rep teams, so the amount of strength across schools that will be coming into Year 12 this year makes it one of the most highly anticipated school debating seasons in recent memory.

ggregan_89

Frank Row (1)
The draw is now out for the 2024 ISDA season. It’s nice to finally have something to live for!

Interesting to note that a ‘death pool’ has emerged in Pool C. The senior winners of ISDA (Grammar), GPS (Joeys) and ARCHDALE (SCEGGS) are all in the same pool, taking out 3 of the top 4 spots for the pool. Queenwood and Monte both broke Octos last year. Will be good fun to watch them fight to the death.
Rest of the pools appear even to my understanding - happy to hear other opinions on this. Will be watching closely as the season plays out, given some teams have seen their star speakers graduate.

Romanforum

Frank Nicholson (4)
In all seriousness, any early predictions for top contenders for ISDA and state squad/team selections?
Have to agree that Grammar should take ISDA by a landslide. Very strong team with excellent depth.

Barker and Joeys should do well but not well enough to win. Scots and Shore won’t win as 1 man teams. Don’t think Aloysius and View will be contending.

SCEGGS, Kambala. ascham and Abbotsleigh to make up the rest of the quarters/semis but SCEGGS not as strong this year.

My call is Grammar undefeated.

fact checker

Frank Nicholson (4)
Have to agree that Grammar should take ISDA by a landslide. Very strong team with excellent depth.

Barker and Joeys should do well but not well enough to win. Scots and Shore won’t win as 1 man teams. Don’t think Aloysius and View will be contending.

SCEGGS, Kambala. ascham and Abbotsleigh to make up the rest of the quarters/semis but SCEGGS not as strong this year.

My call is Grammar undefeated.
Sensible call - Grammar is looking ridiculously strong, the 2nds having gone undefeated in gps last year and the 1sts being reigning isda champions. Still think there could be major upsets by the likes of Scots, Shore, Kambala and Barker. If last year's taught us anything, it's anyone's game really.

Another interesting factor would be how state team commitments clash with isda outrounds. Grammar was somewhat blessed with that last year when they went up against an easier semi-final opponent but this year we might see the inverse of that (although they have incredible depth in their team).

ggregan_89

Frank Row (1)
Here is a new google sheets - thought it would be easier to do it like it was done last year

Ilovedebating123

Frank Row (1)
In all seriousness, any early predictions for top contenders for ISDA and state squad/team selections?
Shore powered by their state speaker should be strong contenders this year. I have heard marvelous things about Michael Kwak, as the best debater in all of Australia right now, shorely he pulls through. Other strong contenders include Kambala, a historically strong school, now coached by Jack Story. Joeys remain strong contenders although unsure about Grammar this year. With only one star speaker who made GPS representatives last year, they an uphill battle this year. Fridays debate against Joeys should be a good indication for the season. Eager for state team trials this week - predicted team Michael Kwak, , Anhaar Kareem, Joeys speaker, and Grammar speaker. Kwak to captain Aus team.

Evenif

Frank Row (1)
Shore powered by their state speaker should be strong contenders this year. I have heard marvelous things about Michael Kwak, as the best debater in all of Australia right now, shorely he pulls through. Other strong contenders include Kambala, a historically strong school, now coached by Jack Story. Joeys remain strong contenders although unsure about Grammar this year. With only one star speaker who made GPS representatives last year, they an uphill battle this year. Fridays debate against Joeys should be a good indication for the season. Eager for state team trials this week - predicted team Michael Kwak, , Anhaar Kareem, Joeys speaker, and Grammar speaker. Kwak to captain Aus team.
Shore has a pretty easy run to the Octos and they have a fair chance of winning ISDA considering that they did get a joint premiership in GPS, although whether Kwak is the best in Australia is questionable at best.

Grammar looks rather week this year. I am speculating strong debates coming from the Shore school this 2024 ISDA and GPS season. Michael Kwak to bring the trophy back to north Sydney.

avantgardeoldguard

Frank Row (1)
Now that we're three debates in, it's time to have a look at ISDA. Some teams are going to start qualifying for Octos next week, but it's interesting to see where teams are poised almost halfway.

It's good to see a higher quality of topics; no topics were really one-sided like it was the case for last year. Props to the convenors.

In Pool A, Aloys are also doing well against some strong teams. They should perform well in CAS, a few speakers who also went for state & one or two got called back. Apart from them, Newington and Abbotsleigh look most likely to make Octos. Knox is also cruising along well, no comment. This will really come down to Debate 6 and 7, so no point speculating now. My money's on: Aloys, Newington, Abbotsleigh, Knox.

In Pool B, Shore's perfect winrate (so far) is not surprising, and the "problem" of the one-man team probably isn't much concern. Ascham's also 3 for 3, but I haven't heard much about their team. Next week we'll see the currently undefeated two, Shore and Ascham, face off in Pool B for direct Octo qualification. Should be interesting. Otherwise, Cranbrook, Scots and Kambala would be my picks for the last two spots going into the Octos. My money's on: Shore, Ascham, Cranbrook and Kambala.

Pool C offers the strongest array of teams this year and (maybe) the most surprising results. Sydney Grammar are (unsurprisingly) on 3 wins, but as are King's, and at that against 3 fairly strong teams. (This team came dead last in GPS last year!) Either the old ones all graduated or their (probably) new coach must be a god of some kind. Surprisingly, Joeys are having a hard time, 0 wins in 3, despite really only 1 change in the team and 2 speakers apparently making the NSW callbacks. At this point, Grammar and Kings are probably locked in for Octos given a win next week; Queenwood probably makes Octos, a pretty strong team only hampered by King's so far, and we'll see about the last spot – could be a Joeys miracle (as much as we all want to see an underdog story), but more likely a battle between Wenona, MLC and SCEGGS. My money's on: Grammar, King's, Queenwood and Wenona. (Wenona's volatile; but with a bit of luck, they can certainly make it.)

Nothing super shocking from Pool D – Barker still doing well despite a such a generational team all graduating. A real litmus test should come in Debate 6 against Riverview, probably the other current favourite to make Octos. They are doing fine for themselves at 2/3, they should still have a speaker who made GPS 2nds reps last year. St Luke's have also won 2, but are yet to face Barker or Riverview, probably the two strongest ones historically. This is probably the group most up in the air, Barker and Riverview look assured but any of the other 6 could make it, realistically. My money's on: Barker, Riverview, St Luke's and...well, I really have no idea. I'll just nominate PLC, but I'm not surprised if that's wrong.

ISDA's always a bit of fun, but the real "pointy end" debating kicks off in Term 3. Still a bit early to make any predictions, but this year looks to be promising with a strong Year 12 cohort.

ProudToAffirm

Frank Row (1)
I'm curious, any idea on how the 2nds for isda are tracking along?
Please find attached a link to the results of the 2nds. I've been so kind as to even include the results of the Primary B, if you were as keen to see how they are 'tracking along'.