• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Funnily enough the ISA I's backline that was so dominant against CHS on Sunday was more or less the Augies backline (w/#12 Currie - Gregs and #15 Cotton - Oakhill).

A few years back, there was a fair bit of dissent in the ranks and calls for Pappa to be sacked as a selector etc when a similar situation arose. Funny how short memories are following a victory.

Have Augies played Barker this year in trials?

The Friday game betwixt ISA and CAS should be interesting for the battle between the Barker and Augies backlines.

While the ISA backs were very capable and quick they were comparatively "small", with the exception of Currie, and Cotton/Markus to lesser degrees, and their lack of size may count against some of them for higher representative level selection.

Buddha

Frank Row (1)
He played on Saturday v. Cranbrook and was hard to contain when Barker got their chances, according to reports.

Earlier I saw him have an unhappy game for CAS v. CHS (the day after he had health issues).

And Snort said he made several mistakes for Barker v. Trinity as a custodian and also hogged the ball.

But he is an exciting player to watch and one that who is going to do well in a pro environment when he leaves school and gets exposed to the reality that he won't be a star for a while.

Something that is not mentioned much is that he has a good leg on him and can boot the ball a long way from hand or the kicking tee. And IIRR he is not too bad with his "wrong" foot.

Not sure I can quite agree with Snort on "hogging the ball". I think he is one of the most selfless players I have seen around, usually distributing the ball rather than scoring an easy meat pie himself.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hopefully CAS can keep their forwards on the field for more than 10-15 mins today. It would have been very hard to maintain any go forward or structure in the forwards when you lose 7 of them in one game, most in first half.
looking forward to the contest today in IIs and 1s

I can't see the GPS boys showing any more mercy in the piggies today than the CHS I's showed last week.

Hopefully CAS have reached a state of Darwinian equilibrium where the fittest have survived, and will survive today.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
We can compare Edwards & Cook,as they both played CHS.
I thought Edwards was stronger in contact, and deserves to retain his spot.

What about other hookers in the competition such as the CHSI and CASI guys, E.Craig and N.Koutsoukis, and the GPS I hooker, M.Serhon. Also their backups in IIs. Seems the #2 position rarely, if ever, gets a mention in disucssions re lineups. As a latter day piggy, I love watching a good hooker around the field.

Any comments from eagle-eye observers on these lads and their abilities in lineouts, scrums, and their non-glamorous support play / cleaning out / turnovers around the paddock?

GPS I - 2. Matt SERHON( N )
CHS I - 2 Ed CRAIG Epping BHS
CAS I - 2. Nick KOUTSOUKIS ( W )
GPS II - 2. Jamaine CROSSLEY ( S )
CHS II - 2. Oliver TAKIVEIKATA Westfields SHS
CAS II - 2. Callum LANDRY ( B )
Also in consideration I would think:
GPS III - 2. Hosea FOTAKUVA (View)
GPS reserve - 2. Tierney GLASSON ( J )
And ones I missed were:
AICES - 2. Alex PAPPALARDO Northholm GS
CCC - 2. Jack ULU De La Salle College
Country - 2. Sam DICK Lindisfarne Grammar

[Edits: added last three from AICES, CCC and Country, I missed first time. Source: Hugh Jarse]

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
GPS I - 2. Matt SERHON( N )
CHS I - 2 Ed CRAIG Epping BHS
CAS I - 2. Nick KOUTSOUKIS ( W )
GPS II - 2. Jamaine CROSSLEY ( S )
CHS II - 2. Oliver TAKIVEIKATA Westfields SHS
CAS II - 2. Callum LANDRY ( B )
Also in consideration I would think:
GPS III - 2. Hosea FOTAKUVA (View)
GPS reserve - 2. Tierney GLASSON ( J )

Mark my vote for Nick Koutsoukis from Waverley. As well as being an excellent throw, he's been responsible for a lot of Waverley go forward. Manages to stay low (I guess not hard at his size) and he scores a try or two in most games. CAS last year and NSWJRU U 17 last year. Have not seen Matt Serhon in GPS but think he and Kouta played in Coogee together? Anyway a good match up this afternoon, one I'll be watching.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sideline Eye, I think we all like to see a good hooker operate, particularly the glamourous ones.

The #2 jumper is an area where our high level playing stocks are a little thin at the moment. At Schoolboy level, Lineout throwing is a skill that seems under done. Accurate and reliable throwers are thin on the ground from what I have seen around the grounds.

I'd have someone who ticked the lineout box but may have some question marks other job description boxes, over a player who gets a gold star in all boxes EXCEPT the lineout one which has a big black mark in it.

Given the showing by Country on the weekend, I don't think that you could exclude possible smokies from:
AICES - 2. Alex PAPPALARDO Northholm GS
CCC - 2. Jack ULU De La Salle College
Country - 2. Sam DICK Lindisfarne Grammar

Using the Dingo Deans low risk methodology that selectors tend to take, I'd have to say that Fotukava and Cook are the ones that have been pencilled in for NSW I and II on the back of being Combined States last year and in NGS as well. As the "Ghost incumbents", it is up to Craig, Koutsoukis, Serhon et al to steal the slot from them.

Given that they were both at Nationals last year, and to counter my selectorial mumbo jumbo second guessing, it is a bit of a surprise to see Cook in the II's for his association and Fotukava in the III's for his.

We will see head to head contests of Craig vs Koutsoukis, Craig vs Serhon, Serhon vs Koutsoukis, and Koutsoukis vs Edwards coming up this week, but none of the "favoured" pretenders will be going head to head with Cook or Fotukava.

Someone will cry foul play.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Sideline Eye, Using the Dingo Deans low risk methodology that selectors tend to take, I'd have to say that Fotukava and Cook are the ones that have been pencilled in for NSW I and II on the back of being Combined States last year and in NGS as well. / snip / Someone will cry foul play.

Given their selections in their own associations this season, let's hope the selectors don't rely on past form over current form and give some new blood a go...

Agree re your summary of the key skill for a hooker - a straight and accurate throw and a quick thinking brain are the most crucial skills for winning lineouts. The rest is a bonus, but gotta love a hooker who can turn over ball at the breakdown, make secure tackles, and clean out all day.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
above I said:
We will see head to head contests of Craig vs Koutsoukis, Craig vs Serhon, Serhon vs Koutsoukis, and Koutsoukis vs Edwards coming up this week, but none of the "favoured" pretenders will be going head to head with Cook or Fotukava.

That is incorrect and it should read:

We have already seen head to head contests of Craig vs Koutsoukis, Craig vs Ulu, Craig vs Edwards, and Craig vs Cook (cameo), and look forward to Craig vs Serhon, Serhon vs Koutsoukis, and Koutsoukis vs Edwards coming up this week, but none of the "favoured" pretenders will be going head to head with Cook or Fotukava.

There are plenty in Heavensgame who like to wang on about hookers.

Anyone skilled in the dark arts care to comment on the head to head contest for the #2 position as they have seen it so far from the CHS v CCC, CAS v CHS and CHS v ISA fixtures.

CHS #2 would be a good benchmark to use as he faces the "best" from CAS, GPS, ISA and CCC. Only Country and AICES don't go head to head with CHS.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
For those wandering up to Warrawee for this afternoon's game be aware that there is some building work up there that could impact things or may not.

And, more importantly, the parking guardians around that area use busy events to balance budgets.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby Mum, The Firsts game would only just have finished in the last little while.

It was a late kick off and will be under lights.

Results and match reports will be filtering in fairly soon.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Mark my vote for Nick Koutsoukis from Waverley. As well as being an excellent throw, he's been responsible for a lot of Waverley go forward. Manages to stay low (I guess not hard at his size) and he scores a try or two in most games. CAS last year and NSWJRU U 17 last year. Have not seen Matt Serhon in GPS but think he and Kouta played in Coogee together? Anyway a good match up this afternoon, one I'll be watching.
As per the writings of Mssr Jarse. I agree re CRAIG and ULU. Both of these men are more than well skilled in the wonderful world of Hooking. They would be my NSW I and II . No offence to the others, but they can learn from these lads

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
GPS II 31 CAS II 0
GPS I 29 CAS I 14

Crikey, the I's game was a little closer than I expected.

Was there any rain during the game?

CHS stocks may have risen somewhat for the big showdown on Friday with GPS.

Were Tepai and Taane (Terrific Twins) in the GPS team today or had the evil Mungo U18 State of Origin masters got their hands on them?

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Crikey, the I's game was a little closer than I expected.

Was there any rain during the game?

CHS stocks may have risen somewhat for the big showdown on Friday with GPS.

Stopped raining before it started and handling was reasonably good. CAS really took it up to the GPS forwards and if they (GPS) don't improve they could be in trouble against CHS as I understand CHS dominated CAS in the forwards.

Probably the kick up the arse they needed.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure I can quite agree with Snort on "hogging the ball". I think he is one of the most selfless players I have seen around, usually distributing the ball rather than scoring an easy meat pie himself.

Now, now... what I said was that there was one (repeat, one) occasion when he had an unmarkd winger outside him and decided to dummy the full back and go inside. The full back refused to be dummied and Jones was flattened. But I didn't suggest he made a habit of this - indeed, in the first two minutes of the same game, he set up the same winger for a try.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As per the writings of Mssr Jarse. I agree re CRAIG and ULU. Both of these men are more than well skilled in the wonderful world of Hooking. They would be my NSW I and II . No offence to the others, but they can learn from these lads

Sideline Eye missed out ULU (CCC) from his initial listing, most likely by accident. CCC are not a traditional rugby powerhouse association and are often mistakenly overlooked as a consequence when assembling a list of players.

IIRC the CHS v CCC game was very wet so perhaps a valid comparison between hookers can't be made using the Craig (CHS) benchmark.

If Brian is on the money, which of Craig or Ulu should be the #2 for the I's?

IIRC CCC last got a member in NSW Schools in 2010 with James Dargaville.

Bill McLean (32)
Now, now. what I said was that there was one (repeat, one) occasion when he had an unmarkd winger outside him and decided to dummy the full back and go inside. The full back refused to be dummied and Jones was flattened. But I didn't suggest he made a habit of this - indeed, in the first two minutes of the same game, he set up the same winger for a try.

I take my hat off to you sir; the epitome of great diplomacy! You obviously work for the Dept of Foreign Affairs and Trade when you're not keeping the rest of us informed with the 'good oil'!

:) LOL:)

Bill McLean (32)

quite correct HJ and BW!

I personally came across Ulu a few years ago at a regional championship where (if my memory serves me correctly) he was not selected in MWZ team but was picked up by the Barbarians and had a blinder of a championship!

Status
Not open for further replies.