• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Under 16 Championships - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
The President has spoken:
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/President-XV’s-Squad-List.pdf

President XV’s Squad List
Forwards:
Edwards L.
Thatcher S.
Gibson F.
Edstein-Boyes C.
Smith M.
Blackhall L.
Groth C.
Jackson H.
Quinn C.
Loh C.
Collard E.
Porter A.
Williams M.
Mackenzie-Wood H.
Hicks D.
Rafter J.
Rorke C.
Dalton P.
Lawson N.
Lynch R.
Mackenzie A.
Chadwick T.
Bours N.
Brown C.
Kearns F.
Tuinakavadra M.

Backs:
Grant W.
Dowling D.
Haldene J.
Ireland J.
Styles J.
Angus – Corke R.
Douglas W.
Taukoma T.
Pitt E.
Kandalaft J.
Goode T.
Quinn J.
Smith B.
Sinclair M.
Southwell H.
Ned K.
Isherwood – Critchley S.
Baker B.
Alexender Z.
Hedley D.

I don't know the players well enough to assign schools to the names, or to have a lash at a Presidents A or B squad breakdown.

Three TAS boys. Harrison Jackson and Samuel Thatcher, forwards, Edward Pitt backs. No feel for how they might rank.

Gilly

Herbert Moran (7)
Angus – Corke R., surely to make NSW 16's again??

Most likely Brownie albeit he didnt play in this tournament last year. I see the name J Styles on the list, if it is the Jacob Styles I am thinking of from Central West he will certainly be highly competitive for a position in the State side. He has been a member and reward recipient for NSW country reps over the past 2 years.

Having seen both players over the past couple of years Jacob will certainly hold his own in this company.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Most likely Brownie albeit he didnt play in this tournament last year. I see the name J Styles on the list, if it is the Jacob Styles I am thinking of from Central West he will certainly be highly competitive for a position in the State side. He has been a member and reward recipient for NSW country reps over the past 2 years.

Having seen both players over the past couple of years Jacob will certainly hold his own in this company.

Pretty sure A C-R did play in the tournament. If you back at last year's thread IIRC there was a rather rather robust discussion about the merits of 14-turning-15 year old boy getting in the squad ahead of many other talented 16, or turning 16, year old players.
But then it was pointed out that he goes to Joeys so that made it ok.

Gilly

Herbert Moran (7)
Pretty sure A C-R did play in the tournament. If you back at last year's thread IIRC there was a rather rather robust discussion about the merits of 14-turning-15 year old boy getting in the squad ahead of many other talented 16, or turning 16, year old players.

Thanks Shane, just couldn't remember seeing him there...Looking forward to this weeks competition, hopefully the weather holds out..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Thats not how I recall that debate: the debate centred on the proposition that there were 8 (or so) no 10s at the tournament who trailed in their school systems, got picked for their school system and then actually played in the tournament who were all overlooked for a kid who SJC did not send to try out for Presidents.
He having been a reserve for Sydney U15s.
But there was a connection as it turned out - before going to SJC he had been coached by last year's NSW u16 coach - who relegated the winning 10 from CAS to the bench in favour of his prior acquiantance.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Thats not how I recall that debate: the debate centred on the proposition that there were 8 (or so) no 10s at the tournament who trailed in their school systems, got picked for their school system and then actually played in the tournament who were all overlooked for a kid who SJC did not send to try out for Presidents.
He having been a reserve for Sydney U15s.
But there was a connection as it turned out - before going to SJC he had been coached by last year's NSW u16 coach - who relegated the winning 10 from CAS to the bench in favour of his prior acquiantance.

Yep. That's what I recall too.

* Thanks to whomever found that avatar picture of me, you all think rugby is a tough game - look at me, soccer (football) can be a harsh game too.
Well, kind of anyway.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Apparently the 16s invitational on the October long weekend will be at TG Milner.
Not sure who will be playing though, apart from NSW Schools U16s and SJRU U16s I am assuming.
Someone else might know.
Apparently NSW u15s will be also participating along with "teams from NSW Country [and] possibly ACT and Victoria"

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
NSWRU U16s Championship and Selection trials, Carugal Field, North Turramurra
Sunday 21st June

Cup Final: 10am -
Bowl Final: 11.30am -
Plate Final: 1pm -
Shield Final: 2.30pm - Presidents XV A v ISA

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Does anyone know the composition of Presidents A and B as yet?
Presidents A
image.jpg

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
By the time I left after lunch Pres A had won 2 handsomely and everyone else bar ISA had lost 1. The difference was in the margins - Pres A in 2 comprehensive victories (30+) compared to ISA who won a tight first match v CAS by 2 pts. Not sure what the ISA margin was over CCC in their last match. I'm predicting Pres A will get the biscuits in the final by 20+

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
By the time I left after lunch Pres A had won 2 handsomely and everyone else bar ISA had lost 1. The difference was in the margins - Pres A in 2 comprehensive victories (30+) compared to ISA who won a tight first match v CAS by 2 pts. Not sure what the ISA margin was over CCC in their last match. I'm predicting Pres A will get the biscuits in the final by 20+

ISA 28-CCC 0 in second game.
ISA played better than in first game v CAS.

CCC their scrums let them down plus a few ball handling errors.

However ISA have an exceptionally talented winger/fullback in Yool (Stannies, Bathurst) a certainty for NSW U16 team and if he doesn't get chosen it will be a travesty.
Also no.15 a handy fullback/winger but could improve his tackling skills and also make sure the penalty kicks actually go out. With his blistering pace and handy side-step he could be the complete package.
ISA very solid scrums and will be exciting to see the forwards v Presidents VX A forwards in the game. ISA backs were solid too.

Overall I pick Presidents XV A to take it home however ISA should give them a good run for their money and it bodes well for next couple of years with the talent coming through in ISA.

*If a young man named Yool turns up at New or Scots in 2016 then you heard it here first

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Programme for today:
Cup 10.00am CHS 2 v CAS (7v8)
Bowl 11.30am AICES v President's B (5v6)
Plate 1.00pm CHS 1 v CCC (3v4)
Shield 2.30pm ISA v President's A (1v2)

The relative positions of CAS and CCC are a surprise. On the opens thread a number of CAS supporters were very bullish about the CAS 16s.

Status
Not open for further replies.