• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Suburban Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
There seems to be a thread for alot of different competitions but not one for Subbies?

Anyone got any insight into how different clubs are shaping up for the 2012 season. There was talk of a couple of new clubs joining the ranks - Alexandria Dukes, Rooty Hill.

Rumour also has it that Division 3 will return to being a 10 team competition and that Division 4 may fail to exist.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
On another note, NSW Suburban Rugby Union could be in a bit of trouble financially. The grant it receives from NSW Rugby has been abolished, so individual clubs will be asked to pay more money.

This is just like NSW Rugby - cutting off grassroots rugby. We may not be feeder teams for the Waratahs - but we are part of the general public, who sit at the SFS and ANZ Stadium, supporting the boys.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
someone somewhere will explain to me what the point of having the tahs is if it isnt to generate money for grassroots (I know that the TAHS are "separate" from the NSWRU - whatever that means) - they are not listed on the ASX so they dont have a profit motive - so what is it?
If its to generate cannon fodder for the ARU then the ARU should run them and pay the Clubs and Schools for generating the talent.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's funny but the Reds seem to be doing the opposite. Maybe these things come in waves?

Sorry didn't mean to bring QRU into another thread. My apologies.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Shame if they screw around with Div 4 again...why??? Balmain has been promoted to Div 2 even though they didnt win club champ. Playing Petersham in Tahs Red S15 game in Feb curtian raiser, what a coup!!!!!!

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'll be out there, Balmain (my team) were supposed to be playing Drummoyne but apparently they bailed so it's Petersham now as part of the 'rivary round'

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I'll be out there, Balmain (my team) were supposed to be playing Drummoyne but apparently they bailed so it's Petersham now as part of the 'rivary round'
Should have been Epping. We all know how that rivalry works out - check with Camo. Imagine punching on in the middle of the SFS!

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Probably had something to do with their Club President, Warren Livingston, who owned and operated the Fanatics. I think he has contacts in a few places (as well as deep pockets).

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
How did they get the curtain raiser???
Balmain are going places, they have some very well trained coaches, great administration, finances and some well......extremely well connected personalities their board. They are looking for a permanent ground in their local location and prepared to put down bricks and mortar...thats a big deal in Subbies.
I think clubs like this deserve a chance, they got 4000 down 2 seasons ago when Mitchell and Giteau turned out, stuff the established grade clubs that dont know how to look outside the box

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Balmain are going places, they have some very well trained coaches, great administration, finances and some well......extremely well connected personalities their board. They are looking for a permanent ground in their local location and prepared to put down bricks and mortar...thats a big deal in Subbies.
I think clubs like this deserve a chance, they got 4000 down 2 seasons ago when Mitchell and Giteau turned out, stuff the established grade clubs that dont know how to look outside the box

They still have a long way to go.... My club played against them on the Mitchell and Giteau day, there were alot of people there, but not 4000.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
They still have a long way to go.... My club played against them on the Mitchell and Giteau day, there were alot of people there, but not 4000.
It all starts with a strong administration, I wasnt there, maybe not but certainly the biggest in Subbies (and most Grade)circles by some.
Blackmore is a junior league ground so there are instantly issues, the council also close it at the smell of rain.
W

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Hi All!

This is my first post and it was this topic that got me to sign up!

I cant wait for the season to start, and it will be interesting to see how a few clubs seasons turn out!

In first Div:

*Its going to be interesting to see how Hunters Hill go in their first season back in the top Div! They have had an amzing turn around in the last few seasons, and if they can keep getting the odd Waratah to have a run they will be dangerous!
* Will the Dirty Reds be stinging after the unexpected GF loss?
* Will my team (BOBS) hang in the top Div for another year? They had a much better showing in Div 1 in 2011 than they did in 2007. Need a bit more depth but signs are good!

Div 2
* How will Balmain handle stepping up even though they didnt win club champs?
* Are Petersham still on the up and heading for Div 1?
* Going to be by far the closest comp in years!
*Will Lindfield show again that they should be in the top Div?

Div 3
*Teams still not decided, but.................
* Will Hornsby return to being a powerhouse?
* Will Blacktown get back up to Div 2?
*Will Waverley return to being a powerhouse?
*Can Brothers have another year like last year (If they go up of course)

I really hope they manage to keep Div 4 going, and i hope Chatswood can get their act together, would be such a shame for such an old club to slip away into nothing!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Bob. Should be a really interesting year.

Why did Blacktown go down? I know they dropped out of Colts last season, and I have presumed they chose to go down voluntarily. Anyone know the full story?

Div 2 is going to be fucking competitive. Our goal this year is just to stay up, as there is no obvious last placed club. Meanwhile there are plenty of clubs desperate to get up to Div 1.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Barbarian,

A couple of years ago, Subbies started to get the sh!ts with Division 2 clubs not supplying Colts teams, as is the requirement for the division, so they have started to ask clubs without Colts to 'show cause' as o why they should remain in Div 2. They did it to Newport and Waverley a little while ago and both were able to supply colts the following year.

With a few Division 3 clubs now supporting a third Colts competition (which only survived because my club, Epping, provided two teams), positions in Division 2 were always going to be difficult to keep on this basis.

Unfortunately for Blacktown, there doesn't seem to be an answer for their Colts problem (even though they won the Radford Cup Colts competition in 2010). Even in that year, it didn't really come together for them until halfway through the season.

It is a shame for Blacktown because their first and second grade teams both just missed semi finals last year. Their coach is also the Subbies rep coach this year and they have some bloody good players.

Ozzie Bob,
I'm not sure about the other top clubs in Division 2, but Petersham and Balmain will both be very competitive. Both Clubs have been able to attract (not sure if they pay, but possibly) high quality players from grade teams and overseas, and have very good set-ups and structures. My prediction is that Balmain will finish mid table on the Club Championship, Petersham will follow Hunters Hill and finish second this year, before winning the Division 2 Club Championship in 2013. I do agree that it is going to be a very close competition - in terms of results and geographically.

I have heard rumours that Subbies wants to return Division 3 to a 10 team competition, which could mean that Brothers and wither St George or Merrylands come back up. Brothers are definitely going to be a tough proposition - you don't bring in players like Vinny Byrne and Greg Wade without some swagger. I'm not sure how the level of competition was for them in Division 4, but they will find Division 3 a step up, I think.

Barbarian,

Are you guys in pre-season training yet? How are the numbers looking? Both of our clubs are struggling to find a ground for our trial match on the 17th, but we have been able to secure a ground for Sunday the 18th - hoping that works for you guys.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I returned to this thread after reading the Shute Shield thread.
Seems to me there's a fair argument that subbies is in better shape than grade.
I wonder if this is because subbies is not trying to be something it is not - whereas grade is straddling a twilight zone between amateur and pro. If that is the reason it could be worthwhile bearing it in mind as subbies clubs chase expansion or more perceived legitimacy. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.