• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
Sorry RT but I can't. I was disappointed with him at the State Champs and also over this weekend. Don't know whether he is carrying an injury or not but he's just not hitting the line like he used to.

CTPE- He's running on one leg at the moment trust me on this, I've spoken to his mum.

M

magpie4ever

Don't get me wrong Newbie, I do rate the CCC 10,12,13 and 15 but their impact was minimised by an opposition backline (CHS) who can all tackle. If we are talking about selecting the best players over the weekend for the All schools team then only the 13 (possibly 15) could be considered IMO. As for the 9, I thought the coaches were justified in his limited game time after today's performance.

Spoke to the 9 after the game & he was disappointed with his 25 minutes, but remember he had only play 7 minutes previously (and if you had ever played the game remember it takes 4-5 minutes to get to the pace of game), went on in the 2nd half with the opposition behind 20-0, therefore the game was always going to get sloppy with IAS playing catch up. He did some reasonable stuff, covering tackle on a flying IAS winger then up to steal the ball on his own line and half break down the blind side from a ruck, but he was disappointed. Good point - this bloke is only 15 & will be back bigger & stronger as a 16 year old.

By the way, I seen him crave up a quality (15-16) rep side earlier this year when he was on from the start.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Here's my NSW Schools U16 squad. There's a few bolters in there but GPS deserve their high representation and CCC have some deserved selections given their very good carnival. (No doubt some of these will end up in the Sydney U16 team resulting in others needing to be added). Would have had a couple of others in this team but they didn't play over the weekend.

1. Matt Sandell (GPS) (vice captain)
2. Jack King (GPS)
3. Jackson Mclean (CCC)
4. Josh Schwager (GPS)
5. Tom Cutler (GPS)
6. Olly Kemp (GPS)
7. Angus MacDougall (CCC)
8. Malaki Afele (CAS)
9. Rory Davis (GPS) (captain)
10. Andrew Deegan (GPS)
11. Jimmy Ah-Chung (CHS)
12. Corey Tulloch (GPS)
13. Michael Morgan (CCC)
14. Oscar Pople (GPS)
15. Harry Jones (GPS)
16. Jarrod Matairavula (CHS)
17. Cam Orr (CAS)
18. David Morris (GPS)
19. Nick Pennisi (GPS)
20. Cale Angeloni (ISA)
21. Joey Lussick (GPS)
22. Nick Koutsoukis (CAS)
23. Doug Streeter (GPS)
24. Alex Lyons (GPS)
25. Ben Cotton (ISA)
I would have Pennisi starting aslong as he fixes his shins. Also i dont like picking 3 5/8's in the squad and even if i was going to i agree with DingDong, Jeff Markus or Jamoe Clark would be picked over Lussick, the kids got a good pass but he didnt have the best weekend i thought, he seemed to play better at halfback than 5/8

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
You can't have Clarke in there ,he just can't tackle. Angeloni's defense speaks for itself. The two GPS flyhalf's are a mile in front of the rest as far as all-round talent goes.

D

Dingdong

Spoke to the 9 after the game & he was disappointed with his 25 minutes, but remember he had only play 7 minutes previously (and if you had ever played the game remember it takes 4-5 minutes to get to the pace of game), went on in the 2nd half with the opposition behind 20-0, therefore the game was always going to get sloppy with IAS playing catch up. He did some reasonable stuff, covering tackle on a flying IAS winger then up to steal the ball on his own line and half break down the blind side from a ruck, but he was disappointed. Good point - this bloke is only 15 & will be back bigger & stronger as a 16 year old.

Now knowing he's only 15, then I'll look forward to seeing him next year.

By the way, I seen him crave up a quality (15-16) rep side earlier this year when he was on from the start.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
I would have Pennisi starting aslong as he fixes his shins. Also i dont like picking 3 5/8's in the squad and even if i was going to i agree with DingDong, Jeff Markus or Jamoe Clark would be picked over Lussick, the kids got a good pass but he didnt have the best weekend i thought, he seemed to play better at halfback than 5/8

What about Matson instead of Orr?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Excellent team CTPE. Only difference for me would be J. Mataiaravula (starting), S.Hefron for A.McDougal, E. Jennings (for B.Cotton), J.Clark for C.Angeloni and J . Markus for J.Lussick

Thanks DD.

I've seen Jarrod play a lot over the years and he's been a great front rower plus he easily switches between LHP and THP but I think physically he's come back to the field a bit. As far as the front rowers were concerned Sandell was a standout and I liked what I saw in Jackson McLean. That said I was surprised that Troy Smith wasn't playing over the weekend and I note from earlier posts that Lucas Bateman is overseas - would have had them both in with Sandell and Jarrod if they were available - a great foursome prop wise!!

I like Hefron too but thought that McDougall did some really good things in both attack and defence. Pennisi is a very good player and although I noticed he came off injured I have to say that to me he wasn't outstanding over the weekend hence his position on the bench. As far as 7's go I can't understand why GPS didn't pick Jack McCalman as based on what I saw over the weekend there was no flanker that played with more passion, skill and intensity that he brings to every game I've seen him play.

I initially had Jennings pencilled in but put Cotton in his place as I think that he's a bit more versatile in terms of a bench back. I'm a real Jamo Clark fan but he was pretty limited over the weekend because of illness. That said I'd be happy to swap him for Cale given Jamo can play 15 as well as 10. Do you think that Markus is as versatile as Lussick?

I gave Rory Davis the captaincy because he's such a great talker on the field. He's always directing and encouraging his forwards and also seems a couple of plays ahead of most. Sandell gets the VC because he's just leads by what he does.

R

rugby eye

We can have our own opinions but in the end you must think logically. There is no way Clark can be pick in NSW opens shadow squad and not the 16's team.
I cant see him not getting a starting spot in the team.

And from what i saw of Orr over the past two days his physical dominance and work rate is too good to be overlooked.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE- He's running on one leg at the moment trust me on this, I've spoken to his mum.

Thanks RT... knew there had to be something wrong there because he has just not been playing like he normally does. I'd heard he broke a finger earlier in the season but I wasn't aware of a leg injury. Love to see him fully fit as he is simply devastating when on song.

M

magpie4ever

Believe B. Whicker (CAS), S. Moelasi (CCC) & CHS (winger, o/c) had 11 on, could make the squad once it is split into juniors and schools. Tepai will be in one of the squads.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
What about Matson instead of Orr?

I like Matson...does a lot of the hard work that goes un noticed and I thought he played particularly well in the first half today. I just think that bench players (other than props) need to offer versatility and Orr can play anywhere from 4 to 8 and even LHP if needed. I think he runs the ball better than Matson as well.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
We can have our own opinions but in the end you must think logically. There is no way Clark can be pick in NSW opens shadow squad and not the 16's team.
I cant see him not getting a starting spot in the team.

And from what i saw of Orr over the past two days his physical dominance and work rate is too good to be overlooked.
Clark can kick and pass ok but under defensive pressure he drops the cup!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

I picked Lussick as he can cover no 9 if needed. Thought Deegan and Davis worked very well today and gave great opportunities to their backs. Based on that I'd have them as the starting halves. Lussick did some good things when he came on also although he moves a touch too far laterally with the ball in hand and I thought he cramped Tulloch a few times whereas the Davis + Deegan + Tulloch combination was just excellent.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
I like Matson...does a lot of the hard work that goes un noticed and I thought he played particularly well in the first half today. I just think that bench players (other than props) need to offer versatility and Orr can play anywhere from 4 to 8 and even LHP if needed. I think he runs the ball better than Matson as well.

Played very well considering he was full of tonsillitis , as you say just keeps on doing all the grunt work.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Played very well considering he was full of tonsillitis , as you say just keeps on doing all the grunt work.

That's a big effort given what he did on the field. If he's not in the Schools team he'll undoubtebly be in the Sydney team.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I picked Lussick as he can cover no 9 if needed. Thought Deegan and Davis worked very well today and gave great opportunities to their backs. Based on that I'd have them as the starting halves. Lussick did some good things when he came on also although he moves a touch too far laterally with the ball in hand and I thought he cramped Tulloch a few times whereas the Davis + Deegan + Tulloch combination was just excellent.
I dont really think Joey is a very good 5/8 he has a good pass but tends to catch the ball standing still unlike Deegan who is always moving, also slows down to pass. I definatly rate him more as a halfback.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Results for all today's Schools Champs games were:

DAY 2: FINALS: SUNDAY 26TH JUNE @ KNOX GRAMMAR No.1

CUP FINAL: NSW Country Schools 33 DEF CAS II 29

LIFE MEMBERS SHIELD:CAS I 44 DEF AICES 7

WWII U16'ers SHIELD:NSWCCC 35 DEF ISA 5

MARTIN PITT SHIELD: Pres. XV 36 DEF IGS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.