• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have changed the name of this thread from "No NSW Schools team in 2011 U16 Championships?" because there are some posts in other threads about U/16s that need a proper home. By all means start U/16 threads for other areas of Oz also.

Cheers - Lee Grant 27/5/11

Noticed from the NSWSRU web site that there won't be a NSW Schools team in this years U16 Australian Championships:

"The third disappointment of the year was the decision by the ARU to change the format of the Under 16 Championships. From 2011 onwards NSW will only be represented by two teams. There will be no place for a NSWSRU team which is a pity given that the Union has won 6 of the 10 Championships completed".

Leaves only Sydney Juniors and NSW Country having teams in the 2011 Championships.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Your probably right. Don't know why they've had a Schools team, Country team and Sydney team in the past? Maybe it has something to do with player numbers in NSW?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The only problem with the Country team, Club City team and Schools City team in my mind was that their was a different set-up at U16 and U18.

I don't care if they use the 2010 U16 or U18 set-up for the tournaments as long as they use the same for both.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Well I can see a hindrance to the City team. The people who you might've seen otherwise will be replaced by those from the schools team, so people outside of the school system will be at a greater disadvantage to what they already were.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Well I can see a hindrance to the City team. The people who you might've seen otherwise will be replaced by those from the schools team, so people outside of the school system will be at a greater disadvantage to what they already were.

This isnt always true. The queensland U16 team's often contain blokes that have come out of club rugby and do not attend a recognized rugby school.

But in saying that, by the time the tournaments over many of them will have been offered a scholarship to a GPS school...

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
NSW schools includes CHS, ISA, CAS, AICES and Combined Catholic Colleges as well as GPS so all U16 schoolboys are covered and those that play club rugby as well would get a second shot via either the Country or Sydney teams

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Clearly they have pushed them towards Sydney juniors. Pressure on GPS and CAS players to play village rugby otherwise they will not be selected.

F

F1Fan

Clearly they have pushed them towards Sydney juniors. Pressure on GPS and CAS players to play village rugby otherwise they will not be selected.

You have absolutely NO IDEA whats been going on. Read the NTS thread. The NTS is selected out of the Sydney U15 team. The following year ALL of those former junior club players are discouraged to continue playing junior club. They then play for schools. NTS have gone on record as saying the school system is the better system believing the selection structures are better than what goes on through SJRU systems. This is crap too.

The ARU have been trying to cut the number of teams from NSW from 3 to 2 for years. They will put up arguments that the best 69 in the state dont necessarily go to the U16 championships coz 1 player Schools and Country missed in 2007 slipped through. NSWRU brought that kid from country NSW to Hurlstone Ag. Country wouldnt select him coz he played in Sydney. Schools didnt select him coz NSWRU didnt advise them he existed Sydney didnt select him coz he didnt play club. IN the end it was yet another NSWRU balls up that junior club took the heat for.

The real reason, and the only reason the ARU have reduced it from 3 to 2 teams is........................$$$$$$ They dont see the sense in paying for 3 teams at that age. That is the complete motivator for it. In the end, it wont be Sydney or Schools kids who miss out. It will be the good solid country kids who miss out.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
You have been in the place only 5 minutes. I was making an objective opinion of what may have happened in this instance. Just watch your tongue.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Observer that's a bit harsh. Too often players are kept in Mothballs by schools. Recently they have even been threatened with non selection in 1sts if they play for their district clubs.
Also remember that the NSW schools selection process is so flawed that it is heading towards being irrelevent in the finding and promoting of junior talent.
A couple of years ago the NSW 16s team and to this day the opens team does not have one single selector from any of the smaller conferences such as the CCC.
Yes I know that the Sydney North team when coached by a Manly man will give any 50/50 calls to a Manly player.
This is also wrong.
My solution.
Fuck the whole tournament off and tell everyone from the pampered princesses and their parents to the hard nosed well deserving others to remember one thing. You are 15 and you should be doing one of the following things- Chasing females, Going to the Beach, Staying Fit or Studying.
WE'll see you in 2 to 3 years when the playing field vis a vis size has been levelled.

F

F1Fan

You have been in the place only 5 minutes. I was making an objective opinion of what may have happened in this instance. Just watch your tongue.

Whether I've been in the place 5 mins or 5 months like your learned self, it is not I who should watch my tongue. Am happy to make this argument a personal one involving harsh and offensive words to make myself appear big and tough under the veil of an anonymous log in but it aint the point of this discussion. If you wish to behave like that, go back to sportal, where you carried on like a goose there too.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Dear Mr Nong..... You have abused someone who made an objective comment. That's not the way we do business around here.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd heard on the grapevine that there will be a NSW I and II side, so no schools, no country, no SJRU. Can't confirm this as fact though. If it's true, it will be interesting to see what the selections are like given that SJRU are reigning U16 champs and the next lot coming through are also very strong. Personally I think it's a shame that NSW won't be fielding 3 sides given the numbers and that they can field 3 competitive sides

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd heard on the grapevine that there will be a NSW I and II side, so no schools, no country, no SJRU. Can't confirm this as fact though. If it's true, it will be interesting to see what the selections are like given that SJRU are reigning U16 champs and the next lot coming through are also very strong. Personally I think it's a shame that NSW won't be fielding 3 sides given the numbers and that they can field 3 competitive sides

Well, it would be nice to see some kind of a tournament between the Schools, City and Country teams, perhaps it could be used for selection.

P

Parra GM

Well, it would be nice to see some kind of a tournament between the Schools, City and Country teams, perhaps it could be used for selection.

NSW I and II will be selected by NSWRU....which is both a good thing and a concern all at the same time. I think it is proposed that they're gonna try squeeze a tournament in before the nationals where SJRU, NSWCJRU and NSWSRU send teams for selection. I hope that's what happens too. Only problem will be squeezing it into the calendar. Ground availability will be an issue if it's held after school and junior comps finish and those players from the elite schools who go straight into a summer sport will have their own availbility concerns too

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Last year's U16 Nationals were held in the last week of September so it would leave about a month to trial, pick and meld NSW U16 I and II teams once the SJRU grand finals had finished (assuming the Championships are held at the same time this year). That said the NSW schools championships and the SJRU state cahmpionships are both normally held in June so no doubt the selectors would have had plenty of opportunity to look at players and would more than likely have squads in mind before the season's end.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The concept will work if the selectors do their homework properly and try and see as many under 16 players in the state as humanly possible. However if they want to take the easy option and just watch GPS/CAS and high level junior club rugby in the North and East of Sydney then the project will fail miserably.

I am sure they will take the first option though.

Status
Not open for further replies.