• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Waratahs v Qld Reds round 4 2009 official TYS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely this will be a sellout at the SFS, the Reds have been exciting to watch this year & the Tahs fans will be wanting to see some real running rugby for a change.

The tahs have had the wood on the Reds since breaking thier duck after 10 years of Qld domination but the Reds will feel pretty confident after 3 good showings so far & the tahs struggling to find fluency in the backs.

Plenty of big match ups but none bigger than Beale v Cooper.

[Edit - home team gets the message icon]

T

TOCC

phh, i wish, NSW are still clear favourites, QLD will need to finish off those opportunites they missed tonight if they want to be able to beat NSW... The waratahs wont allow many chances like that..

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well it's NSW v Qld so form and common sense go out the window, and anything could happen.
If Qld play it loose again, they will not find the Tahs defence so leaky as the Cheetahs, and they will be tested in the set pieces more. I agree the Reds backs look far more enterprising, but given these matches tend to descend to an ugly arm wrestle I suspect the free flowing stuff might not be on show.
I would be happy to be proved wrong, and see a game like Bledisloe 2000 at Homebush.
NSW should win by about 9.
Noddy may have that margin to himself!! ;D

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the Reds can win this the Force v Brumbies showed that the team willing to play running rugby can win especially under the ELVs were kicking your way to victory is a lot harder.

The tahs still look shakey at 10/12 & 13 there doesn't seem to be a lot of communication in attack or defence.

Reds by 8

F

formeropenside

disco said:
Surely this will be a sellout at the SFS, the Reds have been exciting to watch this year & the Tahs fans will be wanting to see some real running rugby for a change.

The tahs have had the wood on the Reds since breaking thier duck after 10 years of Qld domination but the Reds will feel pretty confident after 3 good showings so far & the tahs struggling to find fluency in the backs.

Plenty of big match ups but none bigger than Beale v Cooper.

10 years...more like 25. It'd be nice to smash the tahs, but we need passes to go to hand to accomplish that. Houston can't have another game with Tawake hands.

Then again, Hynes, McLinden and Digby all looked fast and strong - great hit by Hynes at one point to cause a turnover.

Hopefully Van is fit, despite the short turnaround for the Reds, as he is the key to the Reds lineout and solid around the park.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs tight five challenges have begun

Benn Robinson on prop injury list
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Jon Geddes

March 02, 2009 12:00am

THE Waratahs are facing a potential front-row crisis ahead of Friday's Super 14 grudge match against Queensland at the SFS, with Benn Robinson in doubt for the interstate clash.

If he cannot play this week he would become the Waratahs' third Wallaby prop on the sidelines, along with Matt Dunning and Sekope Kepu.

He suffered a bad knock above the knee in last Friday's win over the Highlanders which saw him limp from the field in the second half.

"We are not too sure how Benn is going to pull up," Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said last night.

"He has been treated so we'll see how that is on Monday. Sometimes these things can recover quite quickly and other times they are slow."

The possible loss of the 113kg player would be a big blow for NSW as he has been a cornerstone of the scrum, which has been one of the team's strengths over the first three rounds.

If Robinson is forced out, Sydney University's Jeremy Tilse is the likely replacement.

The Waratahs will also monitor the fitness of skipper Phil Waugh, who took a head knock against the Highlanders, and hooker Adam Freier, who injured his neck.

Hickey was in Brisbane yesterday to watch the Junior Waratahs play their Queensland counterparts and then the Reds take on the Cheetahs.

Five-eighth Daniel Halangahu played for the Junior Waratahs along with Tilse. And tearaway back-rower Beau Robinson made his comeback from injury in the game.

"It was important we got Daniel some game time," Hickey said. "That's one of the problems of the bench, they can go a long time without playing."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
oh no, the excuses have started. Such a shame this loss will have to be talked about with an asterix next to it by NSW
'fans'.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
NSW have no excuses - they have SUPERPROP waiting to come into the side. The wilting flowers will miss Robinson's work around the park though, especially his cleanouts at the ruck. Any word on whtether Hickey is going to go through on last week's 'plan' of resting Horne this week (which he said was part of his rotation policy).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
so Tom Carter might be playing?.....(snigger)....oh good...I really appreciate his abilities on the rugby field....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
oh no, the excuses have started. Such a shame this loss will have to be talked about with an asterix next to it by NSW
'fans'.

Keep trying to talk it up Noddy, I am just being realistic, it be the first big test of our season

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Noddy said:
so Tom Carter might be playing?.....(snigger)....oh good...I really appreciate his abilities on the rugby field....

I dunno Noddy, he's not too bad...I'd say he's worth about 1.0 Carters.

Gotta give Carter credit though for one of the stupidest try celebrations. Looks like a monkey magic impersonation. Wonder how long he worked on it for?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I think I missed it, too busy doing my own try celebrations in the lounge room.

What did he do?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sorta looks upward a bit with this dumb look on his face, then blows air out through his mouth, and moves his hand backwards and forwards in front of his face in a weird way. It's inexplicable, and looks just way out of place.

Carter did the same celebration last year when he scored his one try by diving on a ball kicked through by Beale, I think.

I dunno, nothing against Carter personally, but if I scored a try off a kick (which I've never done so I guess it's moot) then I would firstly congratulate and thank the guy who kicked it rather than celebrate like a hero who ran around and stepped 2 guys to score.

Casey Laulala did another silly try celebration last week when he took the G. Smith intercept and strolled 40m to score. Looked like a tool doing it too, but it was damn humourous with his baby face. I can remember Duncan McCrae doing a stupid try celebration ("face the cobra") when scoring off an intercept as well.

If you insist on doing silly try celebrations, at least either: a) be an outside back, where such idiocy is expected, or, b) do something to deserve your try, or, c) do something where, at least, you don't look like a complete tool.

Maybe we should now rate try celebrations on the Carter silliness scale? e.g. that try celebration was 2.3 Carters!

Rant over! :huxley

T

TOCC

The 34 degree temperature also affected the Reds? big men, with lock Van Humphries losing seven kilos by match end.

?It took a while to get a bit of fluid back in the body,? Humphries said.

Despite the wear and tear on the players, Moree-born Humphries says the short turnaround before Friday night?s match is ample time to recover and play against his former state.
well it would appear that Humprhies will be playing, losing 7kg is incredibly extreme though

In a massive blow, the Reds will enter the Waratahs clash without winger Brando Va?aulu, who suffered a groin injury.
a blow or blessing in disguise, by Vaalu injuring himself he only saved himself the embarrasment of been dropped i think

F

formeropenside

In a massive blow, the Reds will enter the Waratahs clash without winger Brando Va?aulu, who suffered a groin injury.

"Massive blow"? Jury remains out on that one. On the other hand, Blair Connor went to great lengths to disadvantage Qld with fielding a touch in goal kick, so hopefully he learned his lesson on that front.

I wonder who get the coveted 22 jersey with Connor likely to line up in the starting XV? Rod Davies? Laurie Weeks?

T

TOCC

formeropenside said:

"Massive blow"? Jury remains out on that one. On the other hand, Blair Connor went to great lengths to disadvantage Qld with fielding a touch in goal kick, so hopefully he learned his lesson on that front.

I wonder who get the coveted 22 jersey with Connor likely to line up in the starting XV? Rod Davies? Laurie Weeks?

ha, well i imagine it will be between Rod Davies and Aidan Toua, Mooney seems to want to cotton-wool Toua for the time been so i expect it will be Davies.

Actually, Morahan may not be such a left-field possibilty, Mooney seems to rate him, think he is on the 7's tournament at the moment though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently Fetoai was a super star for the Academy team. Don't discount him moving back to 13 and Digby back to the wing.

I'd go Connor though.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Tough one. Moving Digby back to the wing could be a momentum killer so Fetoai on the bench with Connor on the wing. They may need Fetoai's good defensive skills and relative experience over the speed and inexperience of the other possibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.