• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nucifora - Next Wobs Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
WJ do you think Link would even want the job considering what is going on? I can only imagine he would only take the job under the condition that he has final say on everything to do with the Wallabies and player development, which probably means bye bye Nucifora. Realistically that happening with Big JON still around is not going to happen.

I know link wants the job, he has for years. The rest of what you mentioned is the politics I talk of. Also as Gagger mentioned. Some want jobs, others don't want people to have jobs, others don't care but don't want to lose there own. Useless politics arise.

J

Jiggles

I know link wants the job, he has for years. The rest of what you mentioned is the politics I talk of. Also as Gagger mentioned. Some want jobs, others don't want people to have jobs, others don't care but don't want to lose there own. Useless politics arise.

I definitely understand Link's ambition I mean if you are a coach the Wallaby gig is the ultimate prize, but if it was me I would probably put that aside if it meant working in a compromised environment.

Anyway I am definitely in the Link camp. I was a fan of him at the Tahs and I couldn't understand the reason for his booting. What I like about him the most is that with each and every position he seems to have learnt from previous mistakes made. He has even learnt things in his time at the Reds and you can see his selection policy, tactics etc. evolving from 2010 to 2012. Everyone makes mistakes but the real fools are the ones who don't learn. Contrast this to Deans and Nucifora - they seem to be making the same errors in every single role the move into.

If Link moving to the Wallabies gig means a weaker Reds but a stronger Wallabies, then so be it.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Ewen is very conservative by nature.
Poor experiences and outcomes at NSW & Stade Francais will be uppermost in his mind, even more so than his success at the Reds, when considering his next move.
IF, and it's a big IF, Deans survives, and perhaps Cheika quickly turns around NSW, Ewen will have some new competition for the Wallaby job.
That thought will be in the back of his mind somewhere too.

J

Jiggles

I think Link understands forward play very well. The Reds, despite an average pack on paper, are one of the better teams in the competition at the breakdown. If he did get the top job, you'd think he would understand his limitations with regards to the backline and bring in some help there.

T

TOCC

NSWRU don't run the Tahs, the salary cap issue will not affect them at all. It will affect Tahs InC.
The politics are obviously intertwined, it would have reflected poorly with the other provinces and the ability to request their support in a voting block... I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't caused a riff at various levels in the organization depending in who had knowledge and who has released information about the matter.

T

TOCC

Please read what I wrote before bagging me TOCC.

The ARU job isn't available til next year, where did I say Jim was leaving the reds now?

Link can leave whenever he wants, he has donee his time and you have a head coach ready to take over.

I never said the house was falling apart at the reds. Never once , I'm not sure how calling Jim the best administrator in the game and backing even to be wallabies coach is means for you to believe that.

I have already apologized for saying it was reds v ARU, that was a generalization. There is a political split along state lines. There isn't a takeover as the ARU job is becoming available, it's about people applying for it and people trying to prevent them from having it and promoting others.

Please feel free to say you don't agree but stop pitting BS in my mouth. The reds are the best current run side in Aus rugby, I'm not dragging them down, I'm reporting information I'm (and others are aware of) maybe you are a bit paranoid.
Ok I'm sorry if I have misrepresented you, but It's not bullshit to suggest you have at times insinuated that the Reds 'team' is falling apart.. You have been quite open about suggesting that at numerous times throughout the season.. Specifically prior to the Reds taking the top conference spot you made direct mention of this..

As for Jim and Link, read my comment again.. Link can leave tmw, but It won't be without ramifications to a number of Reds Wallabies representatives who believed he was still here in 2013 and may have taken pay cuts purely to play under him.... Remember Link has assumed the main role of contract negotiation.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Of course Ewen wants the job as Head Coach of the Wallabies.

Every coach wants to be the Top Dog in their land.

Every sailor who joins the Navy fancies their chances of being the Admiral.
Every boy racer wants to win Bathurst, Jockeys the Melbourne cup etc.

It is human nature. Along lifes little journey distractions come in and the gun fighter pilot decides that being the Wing Commander is no longer where he wants to be, so he flies for QANTAS or the RFDS, or retires to grow tomatos in the Darling Downs.

Like everyone, Link would want to get to the top job when he knows he is ready and capable to do the job, and conditions are best for him to succeed.

If any bridges are to be burned on the journey to the top of the mountain, then let someone else start the fire, so if it doesn't all work out there is an effective route back down the mountain. The burned bridge will have to be reconstructed by the person who burned it not you.

There is little point in Link being at the front of the cavalry charge towards Fortress St Leonards because if too effective a hatchet job is done by him, then lookout in 2-3 years for the same to be done to him by Link #2 whomever that is. A metaphorical dragging of Link, kicking and screaming, is the only way he should consider the St Leonards move while he is still contracted elsewhere.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I think Link understands forward play very well. The Reds, despite an average pack on paper, are one of the better teams in the competition at the breakdown. If he did get the top job, you'd think he would understand his limitations with regards to the backline and bring in some help there.
Yes, it's no secret that Jim McKay has been the architect of the Reds running style of rugby.
Hopefully Ewen understands that too.

J

Jiggles

Yes, it's no secret that Jim McKay has been the architect of the Reds running style of rugby.
Hopefully Ewen understands that too.

I'd say Mooney laid a lot of the ground work for the Reds running style but McKay did refine it. Mooney is very good back-line coach and I think one of the states that isn't doing to well in that department should give him a call.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Ok I'm sorry if I have misrepresented you, but It's not bullshit to suggest you have at times insinuated that the Reds 'team' is falling apart.. You have been quite open about suggesting that at numerous times throughout the season.. Specifically prior to the Reds taking the top conference spot you made direct mention of this..

As for Jim and Link, read my comment again.. Link can leave tmw, but It won't be without ramifications to a number of Reds Wallabies representatives who believed he was still here in 2013 and may have taken pay cuts purely to play under him.. Remember Link has assumed the main role of contract negotiation.

I have made mention to the reds not being anywhere near the team they were in 2011, I also backed them to oust the brumbies and take top spot from a long way out. I don't think I have ever said they were falling apart. I have mocked them at times, I'm a nsw supporter and took what I could as I had nothing to cheer for down here.

I understand there is ramifications. Yet in June this year Link announced news he was moving on. I know the waters are muddy next year as Richard graham learns the job but doesn't do it. It isn't an ideal situation, but any player who signed after that (which is the majority isn't it?) did so knowing that graham was going to be coach sooner or later.

The public perception at the moment seems to be that people want Link to be wallaby coach. He is the favorite and the PR dream coming from the success of Qld, I'm not sure how the public will react if deans does get the sack and Ewen turns around and says he doesn't want it.

There are many twists and turns to come no doubt and I'm sure the outcome won't be satisfying to the majority of us.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm not sure how the public will react if deans does get the sack and Ewen turns around and says he doesn't want it.

I doubt that we would ever know if that happened - I mean there'd be rumours but no one would ever confirm that he had turned them down.
There is a lot of sense in his waiting until JON finishes up - even if he is not as scathing as we generally are in relation to JON.
But its somewhat like Malcolm Turnbull and Abbott - unless Abbbott falls over between now and the next election Turnbull will never be PM - Link would take a risk that any interim or other coach appointed to the Wobblies would do a good enough job to keep it and his ship would have sailed for that job.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Speculating,

If deans goes the public will want Ewen. They will want to know why he isn't installed, be confused as to why he would stay at Qld when they already have another coach to take over. It will leak that he turned it down, it's in other peoples interest that it happens.

We have Lions in 2013 and a world cup on 2015, do you think they will appoint a coach through to the end of 2013 only and have a new CEO come in and sign someone else? Or do you think if Ewen turns it down his next chance will be following the 2015RWC?

T

TOCC

I have made mention to the reds not being anywhere near the team they were in 2011, I also backed them to oust the brumbies and take top spot from a long way out. I don't think I have ever said they were falling apart. I have mocked them at times, I'm a nsw supporter and took what I could as I had nothing to cheer for down here.

I understand there is ramifications. Yet in June this year Link announced news he was moving on. I know the waters are muddy next year as Richard graham learns the job but doesn't do it. It isn't an ideal situation, but any player who signed after that (which is the majority isn't it?) did so knowing that graham was going to be coach sooner or later.

The public perception at the moment seems to be that people want Link to be wallaby coach. He is the favorite and the PR dream coming from the success of Qld, I'm not sure how the public will react if deans does get the sack and Ewen turns around and says he doesn't want it.

There are many twists and turns to come no doubt and I'm sure the outcome won't be satisfying to the majority of us.

Simple, JON won't sack Robbie without first ensuring that the next candidate is available and happy to assume the role.. Who knows whether this hasn't already happened and link wanted more from the position then JON was willing to offer...

It wouldn't be the first time Link has turned the position down..

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Simple, JON won't sack Robbie without first ensuring that the next candidate is available and happy to assume the role.. Who knows whether this hasn't already happened.

Unless the anti deans voices are so loud that they are perceived to be damaging the brand.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Speculating,

If deans goes the public will want Ewen. They will want to know why he isn't installed, be confused as to why he would stay at Qld when they already have another coach to take over. It will leak that he turned it down, it's in other peoples interest that it happens.

We have Lions in 2013 and a world cup on 2015, do you think they will appoint a coach through to the end of 2013 only and have a new CEO come in and sign someone else? Or do you think if Ewen turns it down his next chance will be following the 2015RWC?

WJ you'll be here to deny the rumour mongers and call for concrete evidence, nay, a smoking gun!;)

The answer to your 2nd question will reveal much about:
  • JON's sense of his role in history;
  • How dysfunctional the ARU board really is
  • How much clout Nuci has
I think, for no reason other than intuition, that Link would not risk never having it offered to him again: I think its become his life's ambition (as is only right & proper), i think he's up to it, I think he thinks he's up to it, i think he has a chance to be a saviour - which he would find attractive not for any reason other than personal satisfaction, and i think he probably knows that turning it down would be suicidal in the eyes of the present and all future boards.
Knocking back the wobblies job is kind of like announcing on TV that you don't want to play for them: it disrespects a lot of history - hell there were blokes crawling all over each other to get this job in the late 70's and early 80's.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Simple, JON won't sack Robbie without first ensuring that the next candidate is available and happy to assume the role.. Who knows whether this hasn't already happened and link wanted more from the position then JON was willing to offer.
He withdrew his candidacy, citing:
"The best interests of my family and the fact that I've got unfinished business at NSW have led to this decision," McKenzie said. "I notified the ARU (Australian Rugby Union) via telephone (Sunday) that I would not be submitting an application at this time."
http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_...id=9472&sid=6177379&con_type=1&d_str=20060110
I dont think he's ever been offered it to knock back - but I may well be wrong

J

Jiggles

Didn't he knock it back last time around, or refuse to be a candidate?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I think this time round is different though. It doesn't seem open to application. More a time restrained rush to get the house in order. (if change happens at all) difference between a direct offer and being asked to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.