• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Canterbury: 1-Tamaiti Williams, 2-Brodie McAlister, 3-Owen Franks, 4-Zach Gallagher, 5-Dominic Gardiner, 6-Corey Kellow, 7-Tom Christie, 8-Billy Harmon (C), 9-Willi Heinz, 10-Fergus Burke, 11-George Bridge, 12-Rameka Poihipi, 13-Dallas McLeod, 14-Manasa Mataele, 15-Chay Fihaki. Reserves: 16-George Bell, 17-Daniel Lienert-Brown, 18-Oli Jager, 19-Luke Romano, 20-Reed Prinsep, 21-Mitchell Drummond, 22-Isaiah Punivai, 23-Ngatungane Punavai.

Some chat that Loss Bleus legend Luke Romano may retire after this...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And on a beautiful looking day down at Pleasant Point, South Canterbury beat Whanganui 47-36 to win Meads cup in Heartland Championship.
Was a good game and looked bloody nice place to be.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez that was what you call a final!! Wellington weren'y going to let go. There was some bloody good rugby played there.............................and not one TMO referral!!:D

Only trouble is that's it for NPC for the year!:(

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And other good thing , a bloody hard fought final. and no TMO involved, no interference or referrals to him. The ref just reffed the game!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say I thought young Riley Higgins is continuing to impress me. Watched him reasonably closely for a while last night, and looks an incredibly mature player for his age, got a good build for a second five/inside centre, and looks to want to keep working off the ball in attack and defence. I smelling a big future for this kid, and won't get hammered to much in super next year as I see him sharing 12 spot with Jordie B who will play between there and 15 (with Reuben Love) I think.
I will add I thought Wellington would hurt big time losing Pek Cowan in warm up, but Sheck settled in and scrummed pretty well I thought!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZR Award nominations:

New Zealand Rugby Referee of the Year:

Maggie Cogger-Orr (Auckland), Brendon Pickerill (North Harbour), Ben O'Keeffe (Auckland)

Charles Monro Rugby Volunteer of the Year:

Cathy Charles (Otago), Andrew Gemmell (Thames Valley), Allen Grainger (Waikato)

New Zealand Rugby Age Grade Player of the Year:

George Bell (Canterbury), Peter Lakai (Wellington), Payton Spencer (Auckland)

Ian Kirkpatrick Medal [Heartland POTY]:

Siu Kakala (South Canterbury), Sam Parkes (Ngāti Porou East Coast), Semi Vodosese (Whanganui)

Duane Monkley Medal [NPC POTY]:

Bryn Gatland (North Harbour), Emoni Narawa (Bay of Plenty), Peter Lakai (Wellington)

Fiao'o Faamausili Medal [Farah Palmer Cup POTY]:

Luka Connor (Bay of Plenty), Maia Joseph (Otago), Charmaine Smith (Northland)

National Men's Coach of the Year

Leo Crowley (Wellington), Scott Robertson (Crusaders), Nigel Walsh (South Canterbury)

National Women's Coach of the Year:

Blair Baxter (Canterbury), Allan Bunting (Chiefs Manawa), Blair Cross (Hawke's Bay)

Super Rugby Pacific Player of the Year:

Will Jordan (Crusaders), Stephen Perofeta (Blues), Ardie Savea (Hurricanes)

Sky Super Rugby Aupiki Player of the Year:

Luka Connor (Chiefs Manawa), Liana Mikaele-Tu'u (Blues), Joanah Ngan-Woo (Hurricanes)

Tom French Memorial Māori Player of the Year:

Ruahei Demant (Tē Whānau ā Apanui / Te Whakatōhea / Ngāti Awa), Stacey Fluhler (Ngāi Tūhoe), TJ Perenara (Ngāti Rangitihi / Te Arawa)

Richard Crawshaw Memorial All Blacks Sevens Player of the Year:

Ngarohi McGarvey-Black, Sam Dickson, Caleb Tangitau

Black Ferns Sevens Player of the Year:

Michaela Blyde, Sarah Hirini, Risaleaana (Risi) Pouri-Lane

Black Ferns Player of the Year:

Ruahei Demant, Theresa Fitzpatrick, Stacey Fluhler, Sarah Hirini

All Blacks Player of the Year:

Jordie Barrett, Ardie Savea, Samisoni Taukei'aho, Sam Whitelock

National Men's Team of the Year

Crusaders, Ngāti Porou East Coast, South Canterbury, Wellington

National Women's Team of the Year:

Canterbury, Chiefs Manawa, Hawke's Bay

Awards for New Zealand's overall player of the year, team of the year and coach of the year will all be announced on the night (8 December). I'm going to boldly predict that the Black Ferns will clean up big time.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well there is some good nominations there. Though how Ben O'keeffe is Auckland I don't know.
But age grade player will be interesting between Bell and Lakai, both bloody good kids, not sure about too many others, perhaps Crowley as coach, and Wellington as team of year?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZRPA have handed out their Awards:

All Blacks Player of the Year: Winner: Ardie Savea. Finalists: Rieko Ioane, Jordie Barrett, Scott Barrett. Black Ferns:: Winner: Ruahei Demant. Finalists: Theresa Fitzpatrick, Maiakawanakaulani Roos, Ruby Tui.

Sevens women: Winner: Sarah Hirini. Finalists: Shiray Kaka, Risaleaana Pouri-Lane, Alena Saili. Sevens men: Winner: Leroy Carter. Finalists: Ngarohi McGarvey-Black, Akuila Rokolisoa, Joe Webber.

Māori All Blacks: Winner: Shaun Stevenson. Finalists: Cullen Grace, Billy Harmon, Josh Ioane. All Blacks XV: Winner: Shaun Stevenson. Finalists: Luke Jacobson, Damian McKenzie, TJ Perenara.

Super Rugby Pacific: Winner: Pita Gus Sowakula. Finalists: Jordie Barrett, Cullen Grace, Stephen Perofeta. Super Rugby Aupiki: Winner: Hazel Tubic. Finalists: Joanah Ngan-Woo, Kaipo Olsen-Baker, Portia Woodman.

Farah Palmer Cup: Winner: Liana Mikaele-Tu’u. Finalists: Joanah Ngan-Woo, Kendra Reynolds, Stephanie Te Ohaere-Fox. NPC: Winner: MarkTelea. Finalists: Billy Harmon, Du’Plessis Kirifi, Cam Roigard.

Men’s young player: Winner: Noah Hotham. Finalists: George Bell, Riley Higgins, Peter Lakai. Women’s young player: Winner: Logo-I-Pulotu Lemapu Atai’i ‘Sylvia’ Brunt. Finalists: Jorja Miller, Kerri Johnson, Santo Taumata.

Wouldn't surprise me if mostly the same names are read out tomorrow night for the equivalent NZR Awards.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2022 Rugby Awards

Kelvin R Tremain Memorial Player of the Year: Ruahei Demant (Auckland)

Black Ferns Player of the Year: Ruahei Demant

Tom French Memorial Māori Player of the Year: Ruahei Demant (Tē Whānau ā Apanui / Te Whakatōhea / Ngāti Awa)

New Zealand Team of the Year: Black Ferns

New Zealand Coach of the Year: Wayne Smith (Black Ferns)

All Blacks Player of the Year: Ardie Savea

Try of the Year: Stacey Fluhler (Black Ferns v England)

Steinlager Salver – Outstanding contribution to New Zealand Rugby: Dr Deb Robinson

Super Rugby Aupiki Player of the Year: Luka Connor (Chiefs Manawa)

Super Rugby Pacific Player of the Year: Will Jordan (Crusaders)

National Women's Team of the Year: Canterbury

National Men's Team of the Year: Wellington

Black Ferns Sevens Player of the Year: Michaela Blyde

Richard Crawshaw Memorial All Blacks Sevens Player of the Year:Ngarohi McGarvey-Black

National Women's Coach of the Year: Blair Baxter (Canterbury)

National Men's Coach of the Year: Scott Robertson (Crusaders)

Fiao'o Faamausili Medal: Maia Joseph (Otago)

Duane Monkley Medal: Bryn Gatland (North Harbour)

Ian Kirkpatrick Medal: Sam Parkes (Ngāti Porou East Coast)

New Zealand Rugby Age Grade Player of the Year: Peter Lakai (Wellington)

Charles Monro Rugby Volunteer of the Year: Cathy Charles (Otago)

New Zealand Rugby Referee of the Year: Ben O'Keeffe (Auckland)

Thought the awards show was a bit underwhelming & raced through the domestic side of things so as to lavish maximum attention on the Black Ferns which is kinda OK but at the same time necessitated a fair bit of padding. In a 90-minute show surely they could've found 90 seconds to explain, for example, why George Bell & Peyton Spencer were nominated for the youth award then a minute on why Lakai won it? Same applies to the other "minor" awards: I'd rather learn a little more about the nominees than watch yet more of Joey Wheeler's laddish behavior.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
2022 Rugby Awards

New Zealand Rugby Referee of the Year: Ben O'Keeffe (Auckland)
O'Keeffe is a Nua ref and a memeber of their refs association, not Auckland and works with Canes etc, not sure why he gets called Auckland. (must embarass the hell out of him) ;) :D

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I did notice that the caption for his 90-sec highlights reel said "Horowhenua Kapiti". Maybe the stuff editor doesn't know where that is?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway, the NPC draw is out for 2023, and I know my home games for the Naki. Got the message from them today.
Ok I ready! ;)

1670826307225.png

Status
Not open for further replies.