• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby Competitions 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ Can't find Speight's in these parts but I made do with Monteiths :)

20 minute package is also up.

A bit off topic, but does anyone think Wanganui would be able to compete in M10 Cup if given the opportunity? Considering they've made 9 out of 11 Meads Cup Finals, winning 4 of them with another to be played, they are the reason I think either single 1 up promotion or promotion relegation should be reintroduced. I'm not sure any Heartland team would be any good at first, but at least to give them a shot to see how they would compete.

Coupla issues here. I don't think you can sustain a fully pro side from a population of <50K & (I think) 6 or 7 clubs. Joint venture a la Makos isn't an option as both Taranaki & Manawatu are happy to strip players from Wanganui & don't need them otherwise.

EDIT: Wiki says 13 clubs but even so, they don't have the resources to be other than a feeder team.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
image.png

HEARTLAND CHAMPIONSHIP: MEADS CUP FINAL IN WHANGANUI
WANGANUI 20-18 BULLER

Wanganui retained the Meads Cup but were made to work hard by a Buller side who, with nothing to lose and having already exceeded the expectations of everyone but themselves, competed strongly from first whistle to last. It was quite the turnaround, Wanganui having won the pool play match 28-0.

Wanganui 20 (Gavin Thornbury, Craig Clare tries, Clare 2 con, 2 pen) Buller 18 (Anthony Tailua 2 tries, James Lash 2 con, pen) HT:10-10

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...s-beat-brave-buller-for-fifth-meads-cup-crown

This is Wanganui's fifth Meads Cup and together with their three Division Three titles underlines their standing as New Zealand rugby's leading amateur province. Only a tiny population (less than 50,000 district-wide) and consequent lack of resources keeps them locked in Heartland rugby and looked upon as a feeder team by neighbours Taranaki and Manawatu, among others.

HEARTLAND CHAMPIONSHIP: LOCHORE CUP FINAL IN TE KUITI
NORTH OTAGO 44-22 KING COUNTRY

image.jpeg

Sir Colin (left) wasn't well enough to travel to the Meads Cup final and even catching up with his great friend Sir Brian at the Lochore Cup final was probably of little consolation as his once mighty King Country were flogged by unfancied North Otago.

North Otago 44 (Robbie Smith, Filipo Veamatahau, Maene Mapusaga, Simon Lilicama, Matthew Vocea, Craig Smith tries, Josh Casey 4con)
King Country 14 (Sam Mason try, James Hemara, Anthony Wisetries, Zayn Tipping pen, con) HT 24-8

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...orth-otago-bite-rams-in-the-lochore-cup-final

This is North Otago's third-ever title after winning Division Two in 2002 and the Meads Cup in 2010.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
KC is roughly made up of the Taupo, Waitomo & Otorohanga Districts, these have a combined population of ~55K so KC-W would total ~100K which is borderline IMO. Makos comprise Nelson & Marlborough, combined population ~160K (Tasman District 50K, Nelson City 66K, Marlborough District + Kaikoura 52K).

Historically a combined team has played various touring sides e.g. 1971 & 1977 Lions but I really don't see them having the resources to put together a fully-pro venture.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
KC is roughly made up of the Taupo, Waitomo & Otorohanga Districts, these have a combined population of ~55K so KC-W would total ~100K which is borderline IMO. Makos comprise Nelson & Marlborough, combined population ~160K (Tasman District 50K, Nelson City 66K, Marlborough District + Kaikoura 52K).

Historically a combined team has played various touring sides e.g. 1971 & 1977 Lions but I really don't see them having the resources to put together a fully-pro venture.

I don't think there would be support from inside Wanganui for step up anyway, like King Country, etc etc I think they are quite content with their position on the rugby scene.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
image.png

The season's not quite over, there's still the Heartland XV tour of Fiji & annual pre-tour match v NZ Marist.

New Zealand Heartland XV squad (*denotes new cap) Dan Hytongue*, James Lash (Buller), Aaron Lahmert*, Willie Paia'aua*, Scott Cameron* (Horowhenua Kapiti), James Hemara, Zayn Tipping, John Koko*, Aarin Dunster (King Country), Jackson Donlan, Maleli Sau*, Nete Caucau* (Mid Canterbury), Ralph Darling (North Otago), Lemi Masoe (North Otago), Everard Reid *, Siosiua Moala* (Poverty Bay), Timaru Tafa, Kieran Coll* (South Canterbury), Hayden Wisnewski* (Thames Valley), Eddie Cranston*, Sam Monaghan (Wairarapa Bush), Lindsay Horrocks, Peter Rowe, Viki Tofa*, Te Rangatira Waitokia*, Josh Manning* (West Coast)

New Zealand Heartland XV fixtures:

Date: Saturday 5 November
Who: New Zealand Heartland XV v New Zealand Marist
Venue: Sacred Heart College, Glenn Innes, Auckland
Time: 2.00pm

Date: Tuesday 8 November
Who: New Zealand Heartland XV v Nadi
Venue: Prince Charles Park, Nadi, Fiji
Time: 5.00pm

Date: Saturday 11 November
Who: New Zealand Heartland XV v Nadroga
Venue: Lawaqa Park, Sigatoka, Fiji
Time: 7.00pm

No matches v Australian NRC team which is a shame as I thought that had the makings of a pretty decent rivalry even if only as an annual fixture with alternating host countries & a decent trophy. I'm sure that if they scoured the archives they'd find someone who made a significant contribution to grass roots footy on both sides of the Tasman, failing that just pick a name from each side of the ditch a la Hadlee-Chappell.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.aru.com.au/wallabies/TheTeam/HistoricalWallabiesPlayerProfile.aspx?pid=1267

There have been many New Zealanders who have played for Australia, John Carson, Jimmy Clarken, Arthur Corfe, John Cornes, Greg Davis, Keith Gudsell, John Hammon, Bill Hardcastle, Mark Harding, Wilf Hemingway, Ernest Hills, Rod Kelleher, Darby and Bob Loudon, Barry McDonald, Charlie Redwood, Sid Riley, James Sampson, Owen Stephens, Bob Thompson, Pat Walsh, Peter Ward, Bill Webb, Bob Westfield, Larry Wogan and Willie Watson among them.

Only four of these have captained Australia. The first to be so honoured was Willie Watson, followed by brothers Darby and Bob Loudon, and then Greg Davis.

As for Australian-born players who played for New Zealand were Reg Bell (1922), Des Connor (1961-64), Reuben Cooke (1903), Alfred Eckhold (1907), Maurice Graham (1960), Evan Jessep (1931-32), Arthur Lambourn (1934-35), Bill Mackrell (1905-06), Scott McLeod (1996-97), Bill Mitchell (1910), Syd Orchard (1896-97), Eddie Stapleton (1960), Ken Svenson (1922-26), John Swan (1928), Fred Tilyard (1923), Jim Tilyard (1913, 1920) and Francis Young (1896).

Only three Australians have played for Australia and the All Blacks, Evan Jessep, Des Connor and Eddie Stapleton. The Stapleton case is interesting as the New Zealanders wanted to field two teams in a trial game on the way to South Africa, and Eddie Stapleton was ready and willing. This one cameo appearance made him an All Black forever.

I like the Eddie Stapleton back story, but Des Connor is probably the best fit from the "Dual Internationals" club.

'Tis indeed a shame that there is no NRC Uncontracted vs NZ Heartland XV fixtures, With NZ Heartland XV going on tour to the Fiji, it gives the impression that AUS were the unwilling partner this season. Great development opportunity (and reward) for players and Coaches has gone begging.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^
"There have been many New Zealanders who have played for Australia..........."

Must be a really old article: no Quade, no Digby etc etc. :) As an aside, IIRC JOC (James O'Connor) referenced being related to Greg Davis when interviewed by Maori TV during his first stint with the Reds.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And WOB, I know this may not be correct thread, but I see the Nua is getting recognition;):D
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...okers-there-must-be-something-in-the-water-eh

Mind you they have forgotten to mention Terry McCashin who was All Black hooker in the 60s, and maybe just as importantly of course started Mac's ale, which was really a craft beer we about 40 years before the rest.
The mighty Nua leading the way again:D

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Heartland Championship POTY:
image.jpeg

Te Rangatira Waitoka (Wanganui)

Mitre 10 Cup POTY:

Jordie Barrett - I'm somewhat shocked, thought Reiko Ioane would've got that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.