• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Provincial Rugby - ITM Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Loved the Ranfurly Shield game Southland v Auckland. Saw my first Shield game at the ground over 50 years ago and nothing much has changed.

Shield games can be old school games especially if the weather is dodgy but they are nearly always full of drama.

How about hooker Rutledge? Dad Lester would be proud.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Mike Delaney had a good game for BOP yesterday (despite BOP getting touched up by second bottom side Otago), I wonder why he didn't get a look in at the 10 jersey when Dan Carter was out. They took him on the EOYT in 2009, with Donald injured he would have been a reasonable stand in.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Mike Delaney had a good game for BOP yesterday (despite BOP getting touched up by second bottom side Otago), I wonder why he didn't get a look in at the 10 jersey when Dan Carter was out. They took him on the EOYT in 2009, with Donald injured he would have been a reasonable stand in.

He was injured and has only just returned.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
There were some terrific skills on show in the Canterbury v Wellington game and was in sharp contrast to what was delivered across the ditch at the Woollhara cabbage patch in the Shute Shield semi final, as exciting as the game was.

There wouldn't have been too many players in the Randwick and Eastwood teams who would have got a gig in the Kiwi game based on the skill shown on one day - Turner and Beale for sure, but not too many others.

For comments on SBW see his thread. Last years NZ Schoolboys first flve-eight Lima Sopoaga continues to impress for Wellington. It's unusual for a Kiwi NPC or Super team to bring forward a player of his age but he is playing as if to the manor born. Watch this space.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It was a good game Lee. The bloke who impresses me over there is Colin Slade. I think he is going to be somthing very special in the comming years.

The other good game was Hawkes Bay vs Tarinaki. The Bay were on fire in that first half.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Ruggo

Yeah. I was glad (up to a point being an Aussie) that he got a run with the All Blacks and played well when he came on for Cruden.

He has been cursed by versatility and even by speed. When the Crusaders had the choice of playing him or Brett at 10 when Carter wasn't available they moved Slade to fullback because he's fast. He must have been spitting chips, but now he has a chance to play in his preferred position.

I wish him well (up to a point).

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Canterbury just knicked the Ranfurlie Shield from Southland in a ripper of a game, the even more surprising thing is they did it with about 30% possession.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Good game. I am still not convinced about Money Bill though. The one that does impress me is Robbie Fruen.

Toeava had a great game from the Bench for Auckland. Tana Umaga looking old but shit he still goes great.

Cruden had a great game for Manawatu and was also quite solid in defence.

Admitingly, the first time I had seen him but Pat O'Connor for Northland looked like a pot plant. Maybe he just had an off night but if that is what he brings to the table, the Tahs have bought a lemon.

Thats my thoughts for the ITM Cup for this week.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Watching Hawkes Bay vs North Harbour at Napier. Gee the ovals in ITM cup all look in pristine condition.

Good sign for RWC11. There are a couple of games scheduled at Napier.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The ovals are green 'cause it rains all the time over there.

That is why so many of them are over here.

However when backwater NZ can present an oval in pristine condition, and when (arguably) the premier rugby club competition in one of the Worlds Greatest cities is played on a patchy goat paddock, there is something wrong in the state of Denmark.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Thanks Konze. Should have paid more attention to Mr Lister in Yr 11 English, or googled it before posting.:-[

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
No worries. Fact checking and grammatical correctness are more honoured in the breach than the observance anyway.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the fields in built up areas are worse because of demand from rugger in the winter and cricket in the summer.

Rural NZ would have very little demand placed on the fields because not many people need to hold major sporting events in the middle of nowhere.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Bottom line is those bloody Kiwis keep beating us at things that matter to them:

Rugby XV (not in RWC's) , and 7's.
Netball (only when it really counts).
Uses of Sheep for personal entertainment purposes.

There is only 300,000 people left over there (and most of them can't afford it) to pay to watch ITM rugby games on the Foxtel, and they do a better job than us of calling the game, and presenting an oval that looks world class.

Is there no justice?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
.... And if we were to enter two teams in the ITM cup of our semi pros, who would be in those teams (no current Wallabies allowed) and who would coach?

I am hypothetically basing one team in Brisvegas/Gold Coast and one in Sydney/Canberra?

How do you reckon they would go, and would this knock the bejesus out of the Shute Shield and Brissie Premier competition?

This is a purely hypothetical fishing expedition because I'm pretty sure that the Lords of Darkness would never agree to this.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
.... And if we were to enter two teams in the ITM cup of our semi pros, who would be in those teams (no current Wallabies allowed) and who would coach?

I am hypothetically basing one team in Brisvegas/Gold Coast and one in Sydney/Canberra?

How do you reckon they would go, and would this knock the bejesus out of the Shute Shield and Brissie Premier competition?

This is a purely hypothetical fishing expedition because I'm pretty sure that the Lords of Darkness would never agree to this.

I think you should take this tangent to it's own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.