• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ v Fiji Test 22/Jul/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hard not to pick Mealamu, but never was much of an admirer of Cowan. Weepu is the better decision maker and passer. He's just fatter and slower in keeping up with play.

Mind you, I only saw him briefly tonight, but he does look thinner than he did during the Super rugby season...

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Mind you, I only saw him briefly tonight, but he does look thinner than he did during the Super rugby season...

He has been working on his fitness with Gordon Tietjens which I hear is pretty hectic. He has lost half a person since returning for the Canes. On form he is streets ahead of Cowan.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
That wasn't much of a spectacle at all.

Slade was ok, nice try, pretty decent controlling of the pack but he threw a few loose ones in the opening 20 and didn't look all that comfortable.

Ben Smith was good in his cameo, as was Piri.

Guildford makes me chuckle when he runs down the wing, doesn't chip and runs straight into the tackler after a slight stumble. Not your usual NZ winger because he has no evasive skills

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
As per usual. Restarts he was hopeless. Runs too upright and soft into contact. Always produces slow ball if he isn't turned, never dominates the collision. Plays too loose - Boric is heaps better.

Harsh, but true. When is Boric expected back?

U

undercoverkiwi

That wasn't much of a spectacle at all.

Slade was ok, nice try, pretty decent controlling of the pack but he threw a few loose ones in the opening 20 and didn't look all that comfortable.

Ben Smith was good in his cameo, as was Piri.

Guildford makes me chuckle when he runs down the wing, doesn't chip and runs straight into the tackler after a slight stumble. Not your usual NZ winger because he has no evasive skills

This made me laugh, and spot on.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Not happy with Weepu or Slade's game, not happy at all.

aah well Richie was still slow around the park, its something. Bloody dangermouse as always soon as he was there tho.

Was nice to see Higgers has competition for Seagulling from Williams. Fortunately for us he's crap at it, but unfortunately I think the kiwis are onto him 8(

And the ref blew. Can we arrange for someone to ban him from rugby? He is far more embarrassing for Aussie than losing to a talented Samoa side.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
As per usual. Restarts he was hopeless. Runs too upright and soft into contact. Always produces slow ball if he isn't turned, never dominates the collision. Plays too loose - Boric is heaps better.

So true. Williams now folds like a cheap suit upon contact and for a player who plays so loose, he just doesn't have the hands. He certainly doesn't approach the player he was pre-injury. Boric is a more consistent, harder player who plays more physical and tighter to the ruck. With a little luck, Henry will persevere with Williams whom he seems to favor (even allowing him to travel with the NZ squad to Hong Kong and Europe last November, I believe).

S

Stickybeak

This game was absolutely fantastic news for the Wallabies....in the long term: the latest back up to the freakish Dan Carter showed us yet again how damned good Carter is. I think we forget...as his mortal enemy we take him for granted as much as the Kiwis do. Slade was absolutely ordinary - stupid kicks etc.- and you could see the loss of confidence of his team mates as a result. So when (if?) Carter ever stops playing we will be in with a show because they aint got nuthin....

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
This game was absolutely fantastic news for the Wallabies....in the long term: the latest back up to the freakish Dan Carter showed us yet again how damned good Carter is. I think we forget...as his mortal enemy we take him for granted as much as the Kiwis do. Slade was absolutely ordinary - stupid kicks etc.- and you could see the loss of confidence of his team mates as a result. So when (if?) Carter ever stops playing we will be in with a show because they aint got nuthin....

Yep. When Carter retires I will stop watching ABs v Wallabies tests because it will be a foregone conclusion...

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
There was quite a lot of rust apparent,but that is normal for the the first shakedown game of the season.
I didn't expect it to be a high scoring walkover. Some players were returning from injury,some were new AB's. I thought Slade performed quite well after a nervous start. Both sides had frontline players absent.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
not much point trying to compare the relaltive strengths of the PIs vs the Aus and NZ team selected. It's too hard!

We wont have to wait too long to find out just how far behind the Ab's this Wallabies side is ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.