• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ODI World Cup 2019

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Great stuff from Starc, watching the Stokes ball you can see he was beaten by sheer pace, he was nowhere near it.

The one that got Root as well an absolute jaffa.

The batting is worrying, dumb run outs should never be a thing, we've had some shockers already. We've also left runs out on the field a few time so far, against NZ or India this will be fatal.

At least Finch, Smith, Warner and Carey are looking good. I feel the Big Show has one big innings in him soon.

If Pat and Mitch fire we will be very hard to beat.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
IMG_0867.JPG

cricinfo.com's stats guy looks at the permutations:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27054069/england-losses-open-qualification-race

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Almost certain that England need to beat NZ or India to progress.

Assuming Pakistan beats Afghanistan then winner or Paki vs Bangers will go to 9 points passing England's current points.

Sri Lanka will start favourites against both South Africa and West Indies and winning both of those would take them to 10 points too (neither are easy games though).

If Pakistan beats NZ you could pretty much lock in England being out.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
IMG_0868.PNG

Game 1 in 1992 was v WI, Game 1 in 2019 was v WI.

Game 7 in 1992 was v NZ who were unbeaten to that point & Pakistan won to confirm a SF spot........

It ends tonight! (hopefully:))

EDIT: covers are off but it'll be a delayed start, next pitch inspection at 10:30 local so potentially a 30-something over match.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If England miss out on the finals in home Rugby AND Cricket World Cups, I mean... could it get any better?

I still watch that Matt Giteau try against England and the sadness dripping from the home commentator's voice is frankly arousing. I have to be careful watching it at work.

The best bit was that they got absolutely done. No questions. A fitting response to the hubris before that.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I know this is a cricket thread, but I don't know if I've ever regaled you all with my favourite RWC15 story. Please indulge me for one moment. I'm sitting in a pub in English rugby heartland watching Wales and England. About 50 minutes in these two English blokes turn to each other and say: I've not seen anything in the tournament that worries me as an England fan. Nek Minnit.....Wales are storming back and then snatch it. Then the following week we knock them out of their own fucking tournament. I laughed until I nearly threw up and the best part was being in the country and their stadiums while this was all unfolding.

It could happen again in this World Cup too. Good times.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yep, England’s predicted chances of making the semis fell from over 90% to about 47% after the Pakistan win.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Bugger!

NZ 237/6 which wasn't enough: Pakistan win by six wickets with five balls to spare.

Looking on the bright side, as B81 mentioned above may make an early exit for Ringinland just that little bit more likely. Straya, you owe us one :)

We'll see if we can return the favour at RWC to allow your team to scrape into the quarters.;)

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
It was the type of pitch that would have suited Southee, not sure if he's unfit or not but they certainly could've used his experience.

Too much reliance on Taylor and Williamson, they can't win every game by themselves as good as they are.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
India in a spot of bother against the West Indies. 180-5, 38.2 overs gone, Kohli out. Quite a long tail as well.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
NZ need to make two changes tonight IMO. Latham needs to open in place of Munro, this allows Guptill to go a bit harder without having to worry about Munro going too hard at the other end & getting out cheaply. Bowling-wise I think Southee needs to come in for Henry: the boy is quick but for mine he bowls too many in the slot Strayan batsmen like whereas Southee gets it to wobble about a bit which poses more questions for the likes of Warner & Finch.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
NZ need to make two changes tonight IMO. Latham needs to open in place of Munro, this allows Guptill to go a bit harder without having to worry about Munro going too hard at the other end & getting out cheaply. Bowling-wise I think Southee needs to come in for Henry: the boy is quick but for mine he bowls too many in the slot Strayan batsmen like whereas Southee gets it to wobble about a bit which poses more questions for the likes of Warner & Finch.

Lets be frank, both Munro and Southee either score a fifty off about 12 balls or go for a duck. But Southee has a far better fifty-off-twelve strike rate than Munro, who can only bully the cricketing equivalents of the Blues. So might as well open with Southee. That way we can keep Henry as well. Two birds with one stone.

I'm only half-joking, at best, BTW. Such is Munro's dead weightedness.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ in the end they opened with Nicholls which is a bit stoopid IMO, should be Latham to open so he has time to construct something rather than coming in at three for not enough.

Boult hat-trick restricts Straya to 243/9 but then Starc goes apeshit & we fold for 157. Somehow Carey gets MOTM.

Straya now certain of a top-two finish, we've gotta beat Ringinland to get third.