• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

One All Black Cheating thread to rule them all

Are the All Blacks cheats?

• Yes of course. Been saying this all along.

Votes: 47 42.7%
  • Yes, but everyone does it.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Yes. Wish we could do that well.

Votes: 36 32.7%
  • No, otherwise we would be penalised more.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • No, the refs are out to get the All Blacks.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and we have run the writer out of town for blasphemy (Kiwi only option).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RuckinGoodStats

Given there is a bit of time between games thought this opinion piece on http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/5535927/A-word-on-the-All-Blacks-Cheats ( a NZ newspaper on line) could be discussed. Anyone have an opinion?:fishing

OPINION: If New Zealand go out of a consecutive World Cup because of another dodgy refereeing decision, they will have no one to blame but themselves. The All Blacks no longer even bother to bend the laws. They set out to deliberately cheat.

For only one piffling syllable, CHEAT is an awfully big word. "Who are you calling a cheat?" demands the card-playing gunslinger, just before the mandatory murder and the five aces sliding from the sleeve.

The All Blacks cheat in spades. Half of their tries in the Tri- Nations have been set up by blatant cheating.

Go back to the first South Africa game just before Wyatt Crockett scored in the corner. It is hard to believe that Richie McCaw could be four yards offside and get away with it, but there he is holding back the South African lock.

In the first game against Australia they are at it again. Piri Weepu set up the first try by going through a hole created by Ali Williams holding Quade Cooper to the ground.

In the buildup to the second try Ma'a Nonu sets a screen (much as they might do in basketball) for Kieran Read.

Every week Paddy O'Brien, the International Rugby Board head of referees, sends out a directive to the coaches about issues that have arisen from the weekend games. At this point O'Brien warned coaches about all the holding back and obstruction that was going on. He might as well have told the All Blacks to stop doing the haka for all the notice they took.

New Zealand were at it again on Saturday. There were just three incidents in the leadup to their first try, but the second try was exceptional. As Nonu was running through another black hole, a prone David Pocock was waving his arms in frustration. McCaw and Keven Mealamu had held him pinned to the ground for 14 seconds.

Even by the very high standards of the All Blacks, 14 seconds must have constituted a personal best. Does McCaw have an invisibility cloak that only television cameras can penetrate? Even Robbie Deans called him "a bloody menace" and that's when he was coach of the Crusaders.

Perhaps the funniest moment in Saturday's game was when the commentator opined that Brad Thorn had been "unfortunate" to bump into Williams. The ref was gullible enough to award an accidental offside.

Ad Feedback Accidental? Don't make me laugh. The next time the All Blacks play a big game, watch what they do around the breakdown. They deliberately splinter off into offside positions to block the defence. It's about as accidental as the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior.

O'Brien told me while he was in Italy for the Junior World Cup that no World Cup has yet been decided by a bad refereeing decision.

A couple of weeks later, Paddy was overtaken by events. The refereeing of the final of that Junior World Cup was one of the most unfortunate performances I have ever seen and certainly determined the outcome. I suspect this coming World Cup is an injustice waiting to happen, but don't blame the refs, blame the players and coaches.

One of the joys of that Junior World Cup, as O'Brien observed, was that the players haven't learned (fully) yet to cheat. O'Brien also knows that one of the biggest challenges senior rugby faces going forwards is to stop the culture of cheating.

Is the batsman who knows he nicked the ball and refuses to walk a cheat? Is the footballer who dives in the penalty area a cheat? Is the rugby player who holds back an opponent a cheat? You bet they are. People call it "the professional foul".

No, it's just cheating.

Yes, I know other teams cheat, although none of them are as accomplished at it as New Zealand.

On Saturday Will Genia was the first to take up a blocking position on the All Blacks side of a ruck and was called back by the ref. Genia threw up his arms in apology – as if.

The former Australian coach Bob Dwyer, like most of the planet, believes that New Zealand lead the world cheating averages. He said: "Richie would be guilty six times of obstruction in every game. I think we have to keep criticising the New Zealanders and making people aware of what are illegal tactics."

In that context, I don't want to hear a single New Zealander whinge about a bad decision during the World Cup. The moment you set out to deceive refs is the moment you lose your right of appeal.

If you live by the sword, be prepared to die by the sword, and the cheating All Blacks wield the biggest claymore of the lot.

* Mark Reason is one of England's most experienced sports columnists. A long-time senior writer for The Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph in Britain, he migrated to New Zealand and now calls this country home.

- The Dominion Post

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Was just having a browse around, as you do, and saw the same article. Haven't stopped laughing since.

This bloke will be tarred & feathered, and have his NZ passport taken away for such heresy! Considering its just sour grapes when an Aussie journo or someone here makes the same accusation, the reaction should be interesting. Will have to see if I can dig up a bottle of that SA red that Lindommer was extolling the virtues of, and sit back to enjoy.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Was just having a browse around, as you do, and saw the same article. Haven't stopped laughing since.

This bloke will be tarred & feathered, and have his NZ passport taken away for such heresy! Considering its just sour grapes when an Aussie journo or someone here makes the same accusation, the reaction should be interesting. Will have to see if I can dig up a bottle of that SA red that Lindommer was extolling the virtues of, and sit back to enjoy.

Yeah, well with not much rugby on I though it might keep the forum going. Added a poll as well.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New Zealand were at it again on Saturday. There were just three incidents in the leadup to their first try, but the second try was exceptional. As Nonu was running through another black hole, a prone David Pocock was waving his arms in frustration. McCaw and Keven Mealamu had held him pinned to the ground for 14 seconds.

I'm surprised no one else commented on this. I noticed this during the game, not only was Pocock held to the ground as they say it seems a pre-determined move where Nonu ran straight at him.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Everyone cheats. They do it a little bit more, but much more effectively that the rest.

In any sport the team that consistency beats everyone else is ultimately accused of doing something untoward.

Just get them for the pillars at the rucks, that's all I ask. I find that more infuriating than any of the other bits of criminality.

J

Jay

I'm surprised no one else commented on this. I noticed this during the game, not only was Pocock held to the ground as they say it seems a pre-determined move where Nonu ran straight at him.

Pre-determined seems a bit over the top considering the leadup - the ball was spun the other way, Nonu stepped out of a tackle, reversed direction, to Smith who then had to pass in the tackle to Nonu. That'd be one of the more intricate set plays if so.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Geez provocative article much? Not that I entirely disagree with all his points but if I was a kiwi I think I'de be pretty outraged

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)

Yes agree 100% I definately saw McCaw by the grassy knoll and Weepu was in the book depository when Pocock was gunned down.

J

Jay

All that proves is that nz get away with it more often.

Yeah, but they don't cheat substantially more than the other sides (well, they cheat a fair bit more than the Boks on attack, but the Wallabies are about as bad).

I don't think "They're better at cheating than us!" is gonna garner much sympathy.

J

Jay

Yeah i hate hearing bloody kiwi's whine about Kearn's when he took a dive to win that Bledisloe all those years ago.

Same same for me.

Huh? I have no memories of Kearns diving*. When was that?

*well, I remember him diving over for a try before giving Fitzy the finger, but other than that...

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yeah it was years ago. Can't remember the year, ask a kiwi they will have a sook about it.

BTW i have been enjoying this forum a lot more now the Kiwi's are not posting here.

A

antipodean

Mark Reason - well there you go, not only does he know fuck all about rugby, routinely gets his facts wrong and a good argument can be made for plagiarism and racism, he's just another example of a serially whining pom for whom the collisions should be taken out of the game. A Stephen Jones lite who spreads himself across as many sports as he can get copy out.

Status
Not open for further replies.