• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pace - Specifically "BLISTERING" Pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
chavanga2.gif
chavanga1.gif

and of course this

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Doug Howlett was a prime example as well. After his blistering pace left him, he becamce a very very hard-working winger who chased every kick that went up, went looking for work around the rucks and in many ways, I thought, became a better player.
He now is one of the best defensive wingers in Europe when fit. Still scores a few try's to. Was playing well enough that if he was still in NZ he would have been part of the World Cup squad in 2011.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
jay-c Isles is fun to watch and all but at a monstrous 70kg he would be nothing short of a massive liability in a 15s game every time he didn't have the ball in his hands.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Will he get to learn the 15 man game?

He's already played some 15s games for San Diego Old Aztecs and I think for a club in Colorado as well but these aren't even in the same spectrum of play as Eagles Rugby or any professional 15s competition.

For what it's worth Rupeni still holds the torch in my eyes. Blistering pace along with one of the most ridiculous skill-sets every seen on a rugby pitch. If he wasn't such a fuck-wit with his off field decision making he easily could have been the most dangerous winger to ever play.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
fair point, but defensively poor players have won s15 and trinations before
72-73kgs is small but used well that kind of pace is almost unstoppable-
last time i saw a player under 80kgs play a test was sam tomkins(english rugby league) for the barbarians against the wallabies a lil while back> he looked alright- mulitiple good runs and managed a try if i remember at the death
but he sure didnt have isles' pace

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
That's league though. The spaces just don't tend to open up that much in 15s games, there are just too many bodies on the field. It's important to remember those huge streaking runs down the sidelines are absolutely the exception, and not the rule. I'm afraid a 70kg player would have a little trouble dealing with the level of physicality in the 15s game when it's played at a high level. I mean, to put it in perspective Gio Aplon outweighs this guy by nearly 20lbs.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
fair point, but defensively poor players have won s15 and trinations before
72-73kgs is small but used well that kind of pace is almost unstoppable-
last time i saw a player under 80kgs play a test was sam tomkins(english rugby league) for the barbarians against the wallabies a lil while back> he looked alright- mulitiple good runs and managed a try if i remember at the death
but he sure didnt have isles' pace
Like who? (Moved my chair closer and got the popcorn out)

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
tomkins was playing a rugby union test against the wallabies
hey i totally agree he'd have to put on weight- (12 lbs to match aplon from the stats im seeing) but he'd still be the fastest man in union if he put on those pounds > and if he could be as good as aplon he'd be very happy id say and id take an aplon in my team anyday~

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
He's already played some 15s games for San Diego Old Aztecs and I think for a club in Colorado as well but these aren't even in the same spectrum of play as Eagles Rugby or any professional 15s competition.

For what it's worth Rupeni still holds the torch in my eyes. Blistering pace along with one of the most ridiculous skill-sets every seen on a rugby pitch. If he wasn't such a fuck-wit with his off field decision making he easily could have been the most dangerous winger to ever play.
Rupeni had blistering acceleration. Chavanga had the same. I got this vid where he closed in on Habana and he was closing the distance very quickly. Luckily Habana had just a short distance to go otherwise he would have pulled him in.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Like who? (Moved my chair closer and got the popcorn out)
im a bit scared to name anyone, i believe those north of the tweed still teach creationism in their schools and dont allow the government to put fluoride in the water, im scared to think of what the torch and pitchfork carrying mobs might do to me

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
jay-c Gotcha, I remember what match you are talking about now. Tomkins was okay but was hardly lighting the world on fire during that game. Isles isn't as heavy as his online listing, trust me on that one. Aplon's also been playing the game something like 20x as long as Isles, he makes up for his size with some great skills and a nasty step :p

Watch Isles play on the 7s circuit, he still has a ton of developing to do. Hopefully in the next 2-3 years we'll see him moving away from using his speed as a crutch like he does now. One thing I will credit the guy with is he has a huge heart and plays until the whistle which has honestly been an issue for the Eagles for a while. He has an amazing attitude too and is just a nice guy all-around. Probably the only direct convert from another sport that has actually panned out for USARugby in recent memory.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
im a bit scared to name anyone, i believe those north of the tweed still teach creationism in their schools and dont allow the government to put fluoride in the water, im scared to think of what the torch and pitchfork carrying mobs might do to me
Only one I can think of is Breyton Paulse. But wingers no matter the size can get away with it cause they drift wide like the Stormers are using in-out so the touchline help them out so Aplon can get away with with. Same with Rhule and Willie Le Roux can get away with it for Cheetahs. But no drifiting can help for this mind you
lomu3.gif

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
USARugger, annecdotally American football is full of 120kg monsters that can do 100 metres (that is 2.36 Hundredweight/4.4 Bushels and 219 cubits in your measurement system) in about 10.5 seconds.

Is this actually true, or are all the ultra fast buggers little whippets like Isles?

If true, then assuming that they are interested in taking a pay cut, how long do you think it would take to convert them to an effective Rugby Player - perhaps Wing (basic defence techniques and advanced attack)?

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Only one I can think of is Breyton Paulse. But wingers no matter the size can get away with it cause they drift wide like the Stormers are using in-out so the touchline help them out so Aplon can get away with with. Same with Rhule and Willie Le Roux can get away with it for Cheetahs. But no drifiting can help for this mind you
lomu3.gif
the poor defensive player i was suggesting has won a s15 and trination much more recently, hes not small and hes not a winger>
i think a defensively poor player can certainly be 'carried' in s15 if they bring something special to the attack

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I saw Frankie Fainifo run down Bryan Habana in a game at against the Brumbies, except he went too high in the tackle and missed it :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.