• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Paris 7s - 13 and 14 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Argies in control against the Aussies.

The Aussies had no answer to the new kick off tactics by the Argies, keeping them pinned near their goal line and reaping the benefits.

Guess there'll be plenty of practice on the training field to counter that, but it's scary that the Argies with five debutants improved as the tournament went on.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^^that destroys the Friend apologists view, that our under performance this year is satisfactory due to squad changeover,and injuries.

We weren't just beaten, we were flogged by a side with 5 debutants for this week,not this year.

FFS we struggle to beat Russia.....

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Aussies had no answer to the new kick off tactics by the Argies, keeping them pinned near their goal line and reaping the benefits.

Guess there'll be plenty of practice on the training field to counter that, but it's scary that the Argies with five debutants improved as the tournament went on.

didn't get to see much this weekend. What was it? Just kick deep to the corners?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Love me some unorthodox Sevens.

Can't understand how or why my boys can do so well in the first three tournaments, literally fuck all in the next 5, then make the final in the next, with no significant player turnover.

London Calling, hoping for the back to back.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
No Sevens thread this week, so this one will have to do.

DAWKyZ8XoAAy5d5.jpg:small

Classic Kiwis.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^^that destroys the Friend apologists view, that our under performance this year is satisfactory due to squad changeover,and injuries.

We weren't just beaten, we were flogged by a side with 5 debutants for this week,not this year.

FFS we struggle to beat Russia...

ILTW - I see today no reason not to can our mens 7s program.

It just reeks of mediocrity in coaching (Friend like Rob Clarke et al is part of the 'good 'ol boys' tight rugby network where competency matters way less than familiarity and similarity) and in selection and player development.

We are getting nowhere and in this ARU-sponsored modality we will end up with the cube root of fuck all in terms of distinguished results and resulting national fan support and pride.

Better to just save the money so David Pocock's $1m pa (to not play a game) can be more easily afforded.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Tax payer funding of $3m for an Olympic sport RH. Doesn't cost the rest of the sport much.

Doesn't make it any better mind you

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Tax payer funding of $3m for an Olympic sport RH. Doesn't cost the rest of the sport much.

Doesn't make it any better mind you

OK, point taken, but I'd like to see all the detailed numbers as IIRC the ARU stated they were 'investing' cash into all manner of 7s. But then put every cent we can get from the Govt into the womens 7s program. They have a clue re what they are doing in coaching and recruitment and have some outstanding results to show for it.

Our mens' program is just a litany of the typical ARU excuses kit-bag of 'we're rebuilding and developing' which is what they always say when they have no better (and no honest) answer and won't do a hard-edged analysis of the output of sustained mediocrity to really look at why.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Part of our problem with domestic 7s coaching is there is no pathway whatsoever (although hopefully the improves with increased 7s participation).

I think several of the young recruits this year have been good and will continue to get better.

The absence of several of our best 7s players this year through injury have really hurt the team.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Holland in particular hurt, but everyone gets injuries.
That's why he gets to sign 20+ players.
Having two permanent squad members fit & healthy that he's not prepared to use under any circumstances, has to impact on squad depth/performance.

As an aside, I thought they actually looked a lot better without Henry.
Persevering playing him out of position for every minute of every game of every tournament also affected their performance.
That reflects poorly on the coach,not the player.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What's the S&C profile for the 7s squad?

Getting at least 8-10 of your best 12 out there week in week out is much more important than having a 20-25 man squad available for selection.

Also complete player buy in to a coaching team, but that's much easier when you can get a consistent group out there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Moon Dog

Stan Wickham (3)
Holland in particular hurt, but everyone gets injuries.
That's why he gets to sign 20+ players.
Having two permanent squad members fit & healthy that he's not prepared to use under any circumstances, has to impact on squad depth/performance.

As an aside, I thought they actually looked a lot better without Henry.
Persevering playing him out of position for every minute of every game of every tournament also affected their performance.
That reflects poorly on the coach,not the player.

I heard that most of the injuries are caused by the players playing full trial games against their development side four days before they go away overseas on a 'cow paddock' field at the back of Narrabeen. A field so bad that the Manly Sea Eagles players won't even walk on. Why would you have trial games for a start during competition time ? Didn't help Holland either

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Pessimistic bastards. They just absolutely smashed NZ. Give them some credit. They look like they're shaping into a very good team.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You happy with 6th?(and a long way from 5th)
They were saying last night, that NZ has NEVER failed to qualify for the main draw, we did 3 times this year.
We have a good squad despite the deficiencies in recruitment, but they rarely perform to their potential.
It is a poor overall result, make the coach accountable and replace him.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Not entirely but I'm interested to see how they go if they can keep this squad together. There's some talented kids in the squad, but they're only 19/20 years old. There's a lot to like about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.