• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pat Lam Fronts Up Over The Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
As a die-hard supporter and believer of the Blues and of Pat Lam, it's been a bloody Super rugby season thus far. After Thursday night I was so despondent about my team and couldn't understand what the hell Lam was doing.

Well, even if he doesn't make the semi's this year, I have to say that this has re-inforced my faith in Pat Lam and given me some glimmer of hope that 2012 may not be a write-off quite yet.

Say what you like about his coaching, this man has some nuts to front up like this and as fan, I appreciate it.

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/player/ondemand/406049865-Pat-Lam-fronts-over-the-Blues

The full interview is about 30min long....I think it's worth the listen no matter what team you support. Good insight into some of the challenges, frustrations and dilemmas that coaches face each week.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Poor Wepu cops it! It all sounds eerily familiar to what us Tahs supporters went through last year. Hopefully Lam turns the Blues around. I actually think you'll spank the Sharks this week. You're due a win, the players are under the pump to perform and the Sharks are at the end of a long road trip.

It was refreshing to hear this Veech (?) guy. He didn't pussy foot around and asked the difficult questions. In Australia the media presenters just ask friendly questions most of the time. it would be nice to occasionally have some hard hitting questions.

Great to hear Rugby on talk back radio as well!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Mate....this is a NZ radio station which plays sports news, talkback, interviews etc 24/7. Being in NZ, it obviously has A LOT of rugby but it does cover all sport. Since moving here to Aussie, I have missed this station IMMENSELY!

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Woah, didnt hold back with Piri. Maybe its the kick in the arse he needs though.You can understand letting off a bit off steam after the WC but nobody else came back with a bucket of KFC fused to their gut. He needs to sort it out fast if he wants a black jersey this year. Hope he does great player when fit.​

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I remember a coach (I think or maybe Beale) talking about personal responsibility and fitness

It was something like "you can have the best program for nutrition and exercise around, but that doesn't stop a player going through the McDonald's drive through or to the pub on the way home after training.

Reactions: BPC

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
And then it gets ugly.....***sigh***

An emotional Pat Lam has hit out at racial criticism being fired about as a reason for the failings of his Blues team.
The racial theories of a Blues squad coached by a Samoan and containing many Polynesian players have started to invade internet message boards and talkback radio as the team struggles with five losses and just one win in Super Rugby.
Lam twice broke down fighting back tears as he tried to explain his anger at that to a large throng of media in Auckland today.
He made it clear he and his players were happy to have criticism thrown at them for their sloppy start to the season but there was no place for the racial undertones.
"It's sad really, it really is," he said as he named his team to play the Sharks in Auckland on Friday night.
"We totally accept the criticism that we get when we don't perform. But it's the racist people ... the social media and talkback where people say things that are pretty offensive.
"The question about the racial stuff is what I'm upset about.
"It's just sad that we live in a country that has that but it's just a minority and I know that."
Lam said he could take the criticism but wasn't prepared to have it affect his family, particularly his parents who "sacrificed themselves for us to come here and have a good life".
"It's different when it's a racial thing. The emotion is about my parents," he said, stepping back to gather himself.
"For me it's a job. I'm enjoying the job and I enjoy the fact that as a team we come together and are working hard to get out of this adversity.
"When I think about my parents and the tough times they went through to be the people they are ... that's what I am, that's what I'm working to do with this team."
Lam said the success of his players, many who were Polynesian or Maori, couldn't be argued against. These included World Cup winners.
"I feel for all the guys in the team ... Keven Mealamu and his family and all the boys that have island backgrounds or Maori backgrounds. It's really offensive.
"When they win and when they suceed .. look at the All Blacks team that won the World Cup .. there's a lot of (island and Maori) guys there.
"I know that within this team we have a really good bunch of guys who are going through a really challenging time. But we are doing it together and when we come out of it we will be better people and a better team."

It has been a tough day for the Blues with skipper Mealamu opening up on the disappointment at the physical state star import Piri Weepu had turned up in after his shift north from the Hurricanes.
Weepu has been overweight and struggling to get a start in the Blues side. He has been named on the bench again in the team to play the Sharks that also features All Blacks lock Ali Williams being dropped to the bench.
Weepu also fronted the media today and admitted he had been guilty of getting caught up in the celebrations after the World Cup and losing his focus for this year's Super rugby.
He said the World Cup had been an eight year crusade for him, especially after the disappointment of missing the 2007 tournament.
"I enjoyed my time in my break. Obviously I'm a bit disappointed in that. But I'm not looking backwards any more. When I first got here I was a bit out of shape but I have made gains on that," Weepu said.
Weepu felt he still had the respect of his team mates.
"We are a solid team," he said.
Weepu expressed his shock at the racial taunts being levelled at his coach.
"I never really thought people would be like that towards Pat ... in terms of being racist and things like that. Pat's a great guy. It's not just Pat doing his job ... everyone else running out on the field has a responsibility. We know that Pat shoulders quite a bit of it and so does Kevvy but it is about us collectively staying together and pushing through it as a whole squad."
Lam has made several changes to the team that capitulated in Melbourne to lose to the Rebels last Thursday night.
Liaki Moli comes in to replace Williams. Dan Braid is fit again to reclaim his No 7 jersey alongside his flanker brother Luke and Chris Lowrey moves from blindside to No 8, taking over from Brad Mika.
In the backline Hadleigh Parkes wins the right wing berth from Lachie Munro.
Lam said he felt Williams had carried a big workload through the first phase of the season and would be more effective off the bench this weekend.
He maintained that under the current circumstances the bench was still the best place for Weepu.
BLUES: Rudi Wulf, Hadleigh Parkes, Benson Stanley, Ma'a Nonu, Rene Ranger, Gareth Anscombe, Alby Mathewson, Chris Lowrey, Daniel Braid, Luke Braid, Filo Paulo, Liaki Moli, Charlie Faumuina, Keven Mealamu (c), Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Tom McCartney, Tevita Mailau, Ali Williams, Peter Saiili, Piri Weepu, Michael Hobbs, George Moala.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I remember a coach (I think or maybe Beale) talking about personal responsibility and fitness

It was something like "you can have the best program for nutrition and exercise around, but that doesn't stop a player going through the McDonald's drive through or to the pub on the way home after training.

I seem to recall KB (Kurtley Beale) speaking about this subject and he said his footy improved massively once he decided to get serious about his diet and training in general (I agree). That is, no Maccas like you alluded to above. He may not be the source of the quote, but was certainly (one of) the subjects.

More here:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...eans-saved-beale/story-e6frg7mf-1225942457357
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...he-biggest-loser/story-e6frey4i-1225910067963

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Listened to the interview. Pat Lam really carried himself well.

I certainly agree with what he said about the centres - Jared Payne was a huge loss, going by last year I thought he was excellent.

Nice to hear Blackadder & the other coaches getting in touch to give him plenty of encouragement.

Holy hell Piri copped a spray & a half from plenty of corners.

On the racial thing maybe some of the Blues supporters are just venting their anger at the situation. Sounds like clutching at straws & just disappointed given this season held so much promise.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
This whole thing is horse shit.

The blues suck & a lot of that is because Pat Lam is proving to be a shithouse coach. Everything else is irrelevant. He should be sacked for coaching a teamwithout a gameplan, that play like a bunch of blokes who just met each other, and generally suck shit.

As for Kearns, well it must be about time for Dwyer to chime in then too & talk about us cheating and refs being biased etc. Because it's equally as relevant as anything Kearns just said.

FWIW I support Samoa & Tonga 100% against anybody except NZ. But it doesn't mean they are immune from criticism as a rugby team for the way they play. They try to tackle hard, hit hard & are usually physically superior, but they quite often play dumb rugby, which can be to their detriment.

That's exactly the same as the Blues are playing right now & they are coached by a Samoan rugby great. Is it ok to mention this link? Or is that deemed racist now too?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've heard sooo much about this story but I haven't actually seen any racist comments made.

Now this obviously doesn't mean there were NO racist comments made, but it certainly seems there weren't that many.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hardly think saying a team is under performing due to too many islanders is racism anyway. An out of line comment but certainly not racist imo. I know there's a lot of people that share that view within league and union circles, not to a specific team but a general view that a team won't function with a majority of islanders.

Same thing happened with Kearney and Eels recently

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I heard it from a few Kiwis when I was over there last year. They were referring to guys like Toeava et al. I just politely nodded and changed the subject.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I hardly think saying a team is under performing due to too many islanders is racism anyway. An out of line comment but certainly not racist imo. I know there's a lot of people that share that view within league and union circles, not to a specific team but a general view that a team won't function with a majority of islanders.

Same thing happened with Kearney and Eels recently
Actually it is Racist. You have just painted every Islander with the same brush based on their race. That's what Racism is!

Status
Not open for further replies.