• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pecking order: Number 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don't rush. The list is very short.

1. Palu ****

**** denotes doubtful due to pending defection

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Did I miss 6 & 7?

1. Palu
2. Higginbotham
3. Brown
4. Hoiles
5. Houston

But realistically, we would probably see Elsom moved to 8 before most of the others are tried. By seasons end I wouldn't be surprised to see Houston in the number 2 spot. He is the only other that plays a true No. 8 role apart from Cliffy in that list.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Higginbotham has a high work rate and high level of involvement but currently his effectiveness is low. His body height is also too high and his leg drive non-existant this year.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agree. But find it hard to rate any of the others higher than him.

Higginbotham will end up a better 6 than 8. He is very good in support, but not that creative himself.

T

TOCC

i expect that Houston will be pushing Palu towards the end of the season, his always had the ability, just not the focus or fitness

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Jeez with Palu talking Sushi this list looks worrying.

What about a guy like Dave Dennis? Big, strong, looks fast enough?

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Think Dennis and McCalman are both potential class No. 8s.

Was a worry that McKenzie commented on Higgy having trouble picking the ball up when he played there.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
1. W. Palu
2. D. Light

It wasn't long ago that Palu was being pilliored by some for being a dud. Sure he took some time getting back to speed last winter after an injury, but some of the criticism was plainly ignorant. Literally; it ignored his form.

Now when look at the alternatives we see his merit. It has been long standing and includes being voted as Tahs Players Player in 2008 and 2009 plus being the Wallabies Players Player on the 2009 EOYT.

But this is not the Palu thread, it is the no.8 thread.

No. 8 is one of the black spots of depth in Oz rugby if you judge a black spot as having only one valid candidate. 7, 13 and 15 are other spots.

Hoiles is a good linker in a fast game but less good in hard crunch games where physical presence for 80 minutes is required.

Brown does not pick up the ball from the base of the scrum and run over folks and is a nut case anyway.

Houston has had a problem and has to be reassessed at the end of the S14.

Let's not talk about Dennis yet as an 8 candidate, until he ever gets to play there. We may as well talk about Ben McCalman or the terrific 2009 schoolboy player Luke Jones - both with the Force. I think Luke Jones will be a Wallaby one day as a lock, 6, or 8 - but we shouldn't mention either of them either.

The player who has attributes closest to Palu is Higginbotham. He has some negatives that I could probably point out as well as anybody, but none of the others have the raw ability that he has for the position.

Let's all hope that Link can get him to focus his raw power in the right directions for the team. He needs to be coached to play on the straight and narrow path also. Oftentimes you can see the worm of madness in his clay.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't mind Waugh at 8. Certainly like him there alot more than I like him at 7.

1. Palu
2. Brown
3. Waugh
4. Hodgson
5. Higgers
6. Hoilies

Higgers is good but he has too many issues to still work on. Hodgson is reliable.

Brown has had his fuck-ups. Lots of good rep players have had them. He will fix it.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
en_force_er said:
Brown has had his fuck-ups. Lots of good rep players have had them. He will fix it.

He is a penalty machine...kind of reminds me of a young Rocky Elsom in that regard.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
en_force_er said:
I don't mind Waugh at 8. Certainly like him there alot more than I like him at 7.

So you like small, slow no. 8s without great ball skills?

There is a real lack of depth in Oz at the moment. I would expect Hodgson to play no.8 for the Wobs before half the guys mentioned here. Hopefully one of the youngsters will come through and Palu will stay.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Cutter said:
en_force_er said:
So you like small, slow no. 8s without great ball skills?

I never said I liked him there. If you read the post.

His ball skills aren't too bad. It comes back to the under 10s coaching mindset of "putting the meanest kid you've got in 8".

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
sorry but i don't think waugh being selected anywhere makes sense. only by reputation. his super 14 form (usually what keeps him in the discussions) isn't even up to par.

brown will have to show me something when he comes back from injury to even get a sniff.

higgers isn't ready but has potential - needs to get a move on with developing it.

P

PhucNgo

en_force_er said:

1. Palu
2. Brown
3. Waugh
4. Hodgson
5. Higgers
6. Hoilies

Higgers is good but he has too many issues to still work on. Hodgson is reliable.

You have got to be joking. More like 28. For the record, I'm in the Higginbotham camp. Have been for 18 months. He is Mark Loane incarnate.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
1. Palu
2. Elsom

Forgot Rocky played a lot of games for the Oirish lot there.

Has all the skills needed.

Leaves the question mark at 6 though but seems there are more options at 6 so maybe Rocky at 8 is the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.