• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pecking order: THP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
1. Alexander
2. Baxter
3. Weeks
4. Dunning
5. Fairbrother
6. Kepu
7. Mafu

T

tranquility

bringing weeks to QLD was a masterstroke. Almost my favourite player

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Big call Bruce, but it does show that we are slowly getting depth at THP as well. All four of those guys could do a job for us at test level. It will be interesting to see if Baxter gets discarded if Weeks continues his good form and Alexander is still considered a 3 at international level.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
1. Alexander

Daylight

2. Baxter
3. Fairbrother

Daylight

4. Shepardson
5. Daylight
6. Weeks

Don’t think Weeks scrummaging is up to it at all.

Haven’t seen enough of Kepu at tighthead to rate him.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
thatguy said:

And yet you think Shepherson is so good that you put Daylight (the third one at 5.) between Weeks and Sherpherdson? Shepherdson has sadly been woeful, and has actually gone backwards after showing all that promise a few years ago. It's now at the stage where Ma'afu is selected ahead of him for the Brumbies - and Ma'afu is no great technician come scrum time. Great big lump of a lad, and he's improving, but he's still got a long road ahead before he can be considered a good S14 scrummaging TH prop.

I highly doubt Baxter will be around the starting test side again as his work around the field is poor. He gets around, sure, but his cleanouts and ball carriers are normally ineffective, usually being very meek and have no agression. Plus, Baxter is targetted at test level - all his opposite LH needs to do is collapse and he's in the shit, sadly. Of course, Baxter was never the best at holding up a scrum anyway.

Assuming Alexander can hold up his side of the scrum, he'd be first, surely. I'd really like to see Alexander get some game time at TH for the Brumbies.

Fairbrother? Not been too bad. Would love to see him as part of an injury free Force forward pack.

Mine would be:
1. Alexander
2. Weeks
3/4. Baxter/Fairbother
4/5. Kepu/Dunning
6. Ma'afu
7. Shepherdson

Holmes may be added to that list at some stage this year if he gets some time at TH off the bench for the Reds. I'd like to be able to add Palmer to the list too, but it's damn hard when he's not getting S14 game time. One of Baxter, Palmer, Robinson or Kepu needs to head elsewhere next year so Palmer and Kepu can both get could game time, hopefully to the Rebels.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Ash said:
thatguy said:

And yet you think Shepherson is so good that you put Daylight (the third one at 5.) between Weeks and Sherpherdson? Shepherdson has sadly been woeful, and has actually gone backwards after showing all that promise a few years ago. It's now at the stage where Ma'afu is selected ahead of him for the Brumbies - and Ma'afu is no great technician come scrum time. Great big lump of a lad, and he's improving, but he's still got a long road ahead before he can be considered a good S14 scrummaging TH prop.

Fair enough - I was basing Shepherdson's rating on years gone past and not his limited game time this year. Still I would be terrified having Weeks anywhere near the Wallabies. In fact I would be terrified with any of the options beyond Alexander.

Completely forgot about Palmer - I really like what I seen from him in very limited doses. I hope he gets some game time shortly or buggers off down to Melbourne.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scotty said:
Big call Bruce, but it does show that we are slowly getting depth at THP as well. All four of those guys could do a job for us at test level. It will be interesting to see if Baxter gets discarded if Weeks continues his good form and Alexander is still considered a 3 at international level.

I have been a huge wrap for Laurie Weeks since I first saw him hidden away for some inexplicable reason in Seconds Colts. Soon after that I started telling any one who would listen, and more than a few who wouldn't, that the kid would play 50 tests. I am more convinced than ever in that prediction.

As a tight head Laurie ticks all the boxes. He is short, has a big arse and a deep, perfectly balanced crouch. For me the best indicator of his potential is that he packs deep. All the great scrummagers pack deep into the opposition front row. His back is always straight and his hips well below his shoulders. However, this season I don't think that Weeks and Daley are being assisted much by the blokes behind them in the Reds scrum. There seems to be a lack of commitment and cohesion.

Defending the line at the breakdown Laurie is always in position close to the ruck and alert for the enemy coming into his zone. He uses no excess energy, at times looking almost lazy in his movement, but he is a very dynamic and reliable tackler.

Oh, and like other posters, I forgot Dan Palmer who belongs in the mix.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Defending the line at the breakdown Laurie is always in position close to the ruck and alert for the enemy coming into his zone. He uses no excess energy, at times looking almost lazy in his movement, but he is a very dynamic and reliable tackler.

He is without doubt one of the Reds best defenders in close. I've not seen him miss a tackle yet, and he gets around to making a fair few.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bruce Ross said:
I have been a huge wrap for Laurie Weeks...

Bruce Ross said:
As a tight head Laurie ticks all the boxes.

Bruce, I'm surprised you're surprised, young Laurie spent his formative years at Australia's premier THP factory: Wests Junior Rugby at Concord.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lindommer said:
Bruce, I'm surprised you're surprised, young Laurie spent his formative years at Australia's premier THP factory: Wests Junior Rugby at Concord.

So Baxter and Weekes constitute a Tight-head factory?

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I guess we are looking for the best scrummager first, then considering mobility, performance at the breakdown, defence, ball running, and ability to play at Loose Head and Tight Head (well I am). Baxter has a good game last week, but I think Alexander is still some distance ahead. I put Kepu in above Weeks, but would be happy to reverse the order if Weeks is also able to play LHP like (I believe) Kepu can. Kepu is more experienced though, and that does count for something I think. The bottom three are only really in contention if there is a serious injury situation at both their s14 teams and the Wallabies.

Alexander
Baxter
Kepu
Weeks
Dunning
Fairbother
Ma'afu
Palmer
Shepherdson

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lindommer said:
Bruce Ross said:
I have been a huge wrap for Laurie Weeks...

Bruce Ross said:
As a tight head Laurie ticks all the boxes.

I don't recall saying I was surprised, Lindommer, but as far as giving credit to Wests Junior Rugby I have absolutely no quarrel with that. Kids who make it in elite sport have usually had a great deal of often unrecognised support and encouragement in their early years. Such support should be acknowledged and applauded.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
en_force_er said:
Lindommer said:
So Baxter and Weekes (sic) constitute a Tight-head factory?

I was referring to Blake's, Ma'afu's and Weeks's first forays in rugby, they were all bloody good juniors. Salesi was in the same team as Rodney all the way up, he had to play LHP to make way for Rodders.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Langthorne said:
I guess we are looking for the best scrummager first,
I think Alexander is still some distance ahead.

Again: Has Alexander played any THP this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.