• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Phil Waugh is finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Palu is a devastaing ball runner no doubt but he needs to improve his workrate, Richard Brown is looking more like test material everyday & looks like relegating Palu to the bench.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA said:
naza said:
Palu had a mixed game but showed how badly we need his dynamic presence in the pack. On the comeback from injury, so he'll pick up his form, fitness and rythym.

Just wish he'd take his blinkers off! Part of his deception should be running the ball up most of the time, but offloading to the guys in space the rest. I don't think he's fully explored the link-man side of the #8 role

He led the comp in offloads last year and we have nobody else who comes close to him in that department - drawing 2-3 defenders and offloading the pill. Invariably the problem is he makes good yards or has his arms free to offload and there's no support there.

The aspect that worries me is he isn't making the yards off the back of the scrum like he used to. Partly because apparently halfbacks are now allowed to tackle the #8 as soon as the ball enters the scrum. What a joke that is.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Naza,
I think Palu would be best used off the bench like at twickers give him the last 30 minutes of a match & he'll shred.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lindommer said:
Phil came to Sydney Uni in 98 about 15kg lighter than he is now, 100kg. I can't help thinking at his age (30 in September) he should knock a few kilos off to help him get around the paddock and improve his mobility. But to write him off after the Tahs have beaten two Kiwi sides is a bit premature.

agreed. i believe if waugh misses the tri nations and finally gets the rest he needs after so many years of rugby, (which he wont take and will probably play club), he would be awesome on the spring tour.
i cant help but feel with some rest and reconditioning he could easily be the hardman off the bench at test level till at least the world cup. you can always use a man who puts his body on the line like there is no tomorrow in the dying minutes of a close game.

that being said once g.smith loses his dynamic style of play (or at least becomes fails to be better than pocock) he is outta here. not tough enough and did you guys sees how dumb that blind pass was. there was traffic EVERYWHERE.

still, waugh is worth more to the tahs coming apart at the seams than robinson is worth fully fit. the man is more a symbol of nsw rugby than tah man will ever be.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
oh i forgot. yes i think he is deteriorating and no i dont think a starting 7 jersey is in his wallaby future.

though the occasional 6 due to injury or 7 when the wallabies play against a lowly world cup pool opponent.
infact, it would be terrific for team moral to seem at aging hero leading the charge.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
i agree with all of the above, except naza. moderation in all things, son.

i'm reasonably confident that waugh will dish it out to pocock again this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Robinson wouldn't have played against the Chiefs if Beau Robinson was fit.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scarfman said:
i agree with all of the above, except naza. moderation in all things, son.

i'm reasonably confident that waugh will dish it out to pocock again this year.

Don't agree there, in fact I'm reasonably confident Pocock will dish it out to Waugh. Problem is, Pocock only has the support of Brown vs the entire Tahs forward pack which makes it rather hard on him.

The increasing lack of mobility is going to hamper Waugh, so I agree he needs to get his ass out of the gym and onto the paddock into mobility drills. Whilst I think Waugh's days at the Wallabies are over, he still has so much to offer the Tahs and they couldn't afford to not have him at 7.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The Tahs are finished in 2009 without him.

Having said that, we need to "groom" his replacement. Ask naza what that words means, he's the one who told it to me. So, Beau needs to get in the 22. Plus, I don't see any problem with Waugh and BR on the field.

P

PhucNgo

steiner said:
Geez, it was only last year we would have said "Phil Waugh finished", therefore the Waratahs are finished!
I would have thought Waugh was still integral to the Tah's success. But I did watch the match in a pub so didn't pick up on every thing!

Nonetheless can't help but feel his obituary is being written a bit early here. He has dropped in pace, no question of that, so he doesn't cause the turnovers he used to, but still great in defense I would have thought, and great in perception in defence, but even that is being questioned? Hmmm.

Beg to differ Steiner, from where I was sitting he was fended or bumped off on just about all occasions, admittedly those were the occasions on which people ran at him, because he was too slow otherwise to catch them. I think whoever it was was right about the impact of the ELV's. Waugh is stuck betwixt and between. I had a close look at him on Friday when he came off and while he may be fit he's carrying around a lot off excess baggage required to keep his bulk up. Combine this with his up-and-down flat-footed running style and he's struggling just to go between breakdowns.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
The Tahs are finished in 2009 without him.

Having said that, we need to "groom" his replacement. Ask naza what that words means, he's the one who told it to me. So, Beau needs to get in the 22. Plus, I don't see any problem with Waugh and BR on the field.

The Tahs are already finished for this year, it is just a matter of time to either one of the starting props or locks get wounded.

P

PhucNgo

Lee Grant said:
In anticipation of that Beau Robinson should get more and more time during the year as part of succession planning for the time when Waugh is gone and Robinson and Coridas take over. I would even have Beau start in a few games.

But I've said this before.

LG, I seem to recall that when I suggested during last year's (well it seems like last year's) S14 that Robinson would/should usurp Waugh, you roundly poopooed the idea and didn't seem to have a high regard for him (Robinson).

BTW I wasn't all that impressed with Coridas last Friday. Seems to me that he hasn't come along since his appearances for the Rams - which were far more impressive while they lasted.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
till, waugh is worth more to the tahs coming apart at the seams than robinson is worth fully fit. the man is more a symbol of nsw rugby than tah man will ever be.

Why do you think Waugh is struggling in matches. All of that jumping out of hovercrafts and choppers cant be the ultimate pre game warm up.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
the gambler said:
till, waugh is worth more to the tahs coming apart at the seams than robinson is worth fully fit. the man is more a symbol of nsw rugby than tah man will ever be.

Why do you think Waugh is struggling in matches. All of that jumping out of hovercrafts and choppers cant be the ultimate pre game warm up.

"lol" is all i have to say.

though this doesnt really seem the forum for that kind of internet abbreviation.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
PhucNgo said:
Beg to differ Steiner, from where I was sitting he was fended or bumped off on just about all occasions, admittedly those were the occasions on which people ran at him, because he was too slow otherwise to catch them. I think whoever it was was right about the impact of the ELV's. Waugh is stuck betwixt and between. I had a close look at him on Friday when he came off and while he may be fit he's carrying around a lot off excess baggage required to keep his bulk up. Combine this with his up-and-down flat-footed running style and he's struggling just to go between breakdowns.

Couldn't agree more. What are others seeing that I'm not seeing ? There was also a period in the Canes game where he missed 3 tackles in less than a minute (the 42nd minute IIRC). Guys bounced off him and he was grabbing, not tackling.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Guys bounced off him and he was grabbing, not tackling.

RE: Jeremy Thrush( :lmao:) (I'm sorry but I have to laugh everytime I hear or see that surname) brushed him off for the Hosea Gear try.

Status
Not open for further replies.