• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pick your Wallaby team for EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Right, now that we've got a bit of time on our hands, let's all pick a XXII for our EOYT. Some interesting decisions came out of last night's game and with a few people heading offshore we can draw a line through a few names, and we should also look to take a few youngbloods up there for a run. Here's mine:

1 Benn Robinson
2 Stephen Moore
3 Al Baxter
4 Dean Mumm
5 James Horwill
6 Hugh McMeniman
7 George Smith
8 Richard Brown
9 Luke Burgess (injury permitting?)
10 Berrick Barnes
11 Lote Tuqiri
12 Stirling Mortlock
13 Ryan Cross
14 Peter Hynes
15 Cameron Shepherd

16 Adam Freier
17 Ben Alexander
18 Nathan Sharpe
19 Phil Waugh
20 Matt Giteau
21 Timana Tahu
22 Digby Ioane

You could pick another 7 I suppose to make up a squad of 30 - again a mix of youth and experience e.g. Dunning, TPN, Hockings, Salvi, Lucas, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Holmes or something like that.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
33 going apparently. Mine are:

1 Stephen Moore
2 Tatafu Polata Nau
3 Sean Hardman
4 Greg Holmes
5 Benn Robinson
6 Ben Alexander
7 Danya Edwards
8 Sekope Kepu
9 James Horwill
10 Dean Mumm
11 Tom Hocking
12 Mark Chisolm
13 Hugh McMeniman
14 Tamati Horua
15 George Smith
16 David Pocock
17 Richard Brown
18 Stephen Hoiles
19 Ben Lucas
20 Brett Sheehan
21 Luke Burgess
22 Kurtley Beale
23 Berrick Barnes
24 Matt Giteau
25 Timana Tahu
26 Ryan Cross
27 Stirling Mortlock
28 Peter Hynes
29 Lachlan Turner
30 Digby Ione
31 Drew Mitchell
32 Cameron Shepherd
33 Adam Ashley-Cooper

A few points:
- third hooker (Hardman) wanted to take one but only wanted to take someone of test quality. Otherwise I would have taken Fainga'a or even Hanson (QLD bias for sure).
- sweep out the props, bar Robinson. No point taking Al or Dunning. The HK Bledisloe is nothing but a development game anyway. The trophy is gone. 5 props going.
- I think Hocking is injured, if he is then I'd take Timani Sitalaki (or whatever) the Brumbies' new signing. No point taking Sharpe. Let's expose new players to Deans, ala the props. Chisolm is a question mark, but perhaps he would do well under Deans?
- I have Lucas joining Burgess and Sheehan as the halves, but he can cover 10 as well.
- for ten I, effectively, have Beale with Barnes and Giteau. And then the obvious flexibility for 12 with Tahu, Barnes, Giteau and other 10 options.
- no point taking Lote.
- If Shepherd is injured still I would take SNK.

Is Rob Horne injured at the moment anyone? I'd posssibly consider him somewhere (perhaps a replacement for Shepherd) if he was fit.

Of course, this is the team I would pick, not the one that will be.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Beale will have to improve his tackling technique immeasurably or even I wouldn't consider him. And I'm just a short step behind Lee in time watching and admiration of the lad. Maybe Barnes' trick of staying behind after training and trying to knock over pot plant forwards will work.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hand on Noddy - one minute you're saying we need to take Test-quality hookers like Hardman. Then you say there is no point taking Baxter as we need to expose more young props to Deans' style. Those two statements just do not match up. And surely Freier has proved himself worthy of a spot ahead of either Hardman or TPN?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Hocking is injured, if he is then I'd take Timani Sitalaki (or whatever) the Brumbies' new signing. No point taking Sharpe. Let's expose new players to Deans, ala the props. Chisolm is a question mark, but perhaps he would do well under Deans?

What about Kimlin? I think he'll partner Horwill full time next year in the tri-nations anyway.

My 1st 22 for honkers would be.

1.Robinson
2.Moore
3.Baxter
4.Horwill
5.Mumm
6.MMM
7.Smith
8.Brown
9.Burgess
10.Barnes
11.Tuqiri
12.Giteau
13.Mortlock
14.Hynes
15.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Res: 16.TPN 17.Holmes/Alexander 18.Kimlin 19.Waugh 20.Lucas 21Cross 22.Mitchell

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
disco - bloody good point. There is a kid who should be taken along and given a run with/instead of Hockings.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm still too pissed about last night to think about the next game. You guys recover quickly.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NTA said:
Hand on Noddy - one minute you're saying we need to take Test-quality hookers like Hardman. Then you say there is no point taking Baxter as we need to expose more young props to Deans' style. Those two statements just do not match up. And surely Freier has proved himself worthy of a spot ahead of either Hardman or TPN?

1) Baxter and Dunning have not proved their test class. Freier has again, and again and again done the same. Time to let some new props have ago. Freier never to wear green and gold again unless he decides to play for Wests Brisbane.

2) Disco, bang on. Kimlin for Chisolm. Possibly for Horua. He has to go.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
fair enough about Dunning but Baxter is getting better!
We could send Edwards who is a good prop but doesn't do enough anywhere else. It can only do Qld good

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So my HKBled Team is:

1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Edwards
4 Horwill
5 Mumm
6 McMeniman
7 Smith
8 Brown
9 Burgess
10 Barnes
11 Hynes
12 Giteau
13 Mortlock
14 Mitchell
15 Ashley-Cooper

16 TPN
17 Holmes
18 Kimlin
19 Hoiles
20 Lucas
21 Cross
22 Ione

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Is Shepherd going to be OK to tour? If he is he's a monty to get the 15 spot. Props and hookers? The dark arts of the front row are a complete mystery to me; I'll leave that up to those who know better. If either Foley or Williams feel they can cure TPN's lineout inaccuracies, take him. If not, leave it up to Hickey at the Tahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I reckon they will take

THPs
Baxter
Dunning
Edwards

LHP
Robinson
Alexander

Hookers
Moore
Frieir
Nau

Locks
Horwill
Sharpe
Mumm
Kimlin

6s
McMeniman

7s
Smith
Pocock

8s
Palu
Brown

9s
Burgess
Lucas
Sheehan

10s
Gits
Beale

12s
Barnes
Tahu
Daruda

13s
Mortlock
Cross

Wings
Lote
Hynes
Turner

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Mitchell
Shepherd

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez - have you actually been watching Baxter Noddy? The man is our best scrummager at THP and his workrate is second to none...

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd also like to see SNK get some minutes on this tour. He is a genuine ball player with good vision,good pass & a good kicking game surely at some point he may well be very useful in a tri nations series when we run into injury problems.

Everyone shit canned him after the Welsh match in 2007 but who else played well in that game & then who else played well in the 1st half of the 2nd match in Brisbane when larkham was in the saddle?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Spring tour development, what we need.

It's pretty clear that we need to find out who is our #1 halves pairing & what position should we be playing Giteau & Barnes.

ATM most positions are fairly well covered except for 9,10 & 12 so we really need to give some real test match minutes to the young players with potential.

I'm pretty confident in Burgess, Barnes & Giteau as our top players in those positions so after them what have we got.

Halfbacks: I want Lucas to be given a shot as he hasn't had one were as Sheehan has.I know some people might throw in Phibbs & Holmes but one of them has to take control of the Brumbies #9 jersey 1st.

Flyhalf: Kurtley Beale & Barnes should each be given a run at 10 with Giteau outside them. Kurtley needs to improve his tackling & spending time with Barnes can only help.

Inside centre (12) SNK & Rob Horne: Two totally different players which is handy depending on who your playing & where at.

SNK gives us all the playmaker skills of a flyhalf & has probably the best kicking game in OZ, could also be given a run at flyahlf maybe the Baa Baas match.

Horne is not a big bloke but he plays hard in attack & defence, played most of this season at 13 but I think he would make a better 12 which would suit the Tahs as I think Tahu would be best at 13.

Well those are the biggest areas of concern for the Wallabies but we do have some good young players coming up the ranks lets hope they get some minutes on this years spring tour.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Re: Spring tour development, what we need.

We need to address tighthead prop. Baxter is 31 now. Edwards is a good prospect but who else ? Kepu ? Takiari ?

Depth at hooker wouldn't go astray but I'm struggling for names.

And in the backs, as you say, its the decision making spots that need attention. I'd also be targeting fullback as a spot that needs someone to step up.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Disco is well on the money here. SNK should go. He is the only 10 in Oz at the moment that plays a similar game to Larkham (I'm not saying he's as good) and Gits always looked best with a Larkham-style inside at 10. We need a 10 with a good kicking game to develop - this is a chance to see if he can do it. Much has been written about his inability to step from S14 to Test, try him. I would seriously give Barnes 10, Giteau 12 a go as our main combo though. I would probably leave Beale at home, let him get fit for S14, learn to tackle, and come through next year if good enough.
Horne could be a good bolter, but I really think he needs another S14 season first, but 12 could be a good spot for him. 13 is not going to be an issue going forward - Cross, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tahu for starters.
Ioane must go - he has real speed, breaks tackles. Needs a brain transplant, but Horwill has come good so anything is possible.
I'm with Nick on Baxter - just when he is getting better, why leave him home? I fail to see how the pack will benefit by deliberately weakening it for a NH tour. We just do not have the luxury to do it.
The forwards otherwise kinda pick themselves - Mumm, MMM, Brown have real chances to step up and prove their worth and I have high hopes for them. Kimlin too must go.
Oh, and Turner should go as a 15, wings should be Tuqiri, Ioane and Hynes.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would consider leaving Mortlock at home and taking Cross and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) probably had his best game at fullback yesterday, but I think he will still give us more at 13 or even on the wing. I'm sure we can find another 15 that is just as good. Mortlock could do with the rest, and we could do with sorting out the next leader - maybe run the tour with co-captains - Horwill and Giteau?

My squad:

Props - Baxter, Edwards, Robinson, Alexander, Holmes (Baxter has proven better this 3N, Dunning has not)
Hookers - Moore, Freier, Nau (Nau doesn't really deserve it, but neither does anyone else)
Locks - Horwill, Mumm, Kimlin, Sharpe

Loose Forwards - MMM, Pocock, Waugh, Smith, Brown, Hoiles

Halfbacks - Burgess, Lucas, Sheehan
Flyhalves - Giteau, Beale

IC - Barnes, Tahu
OC - Cross, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Wings - Mitchell, Hynes, Tuqiri, Ioane
FBs - Shepherd, Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.