• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Player eligibility

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Everyone is excited about the potential for the island nations but I think longer term beneficiaries will also include the home nations (England included) who have a massive population worldwide with one grandparent born there.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
But which players will they pick up in their twilight of their career who didn’t already nominate for England?

It’s like if Nic Dolly played a test for Australia then went to the wilderness for 3+ years, it’s a bit of a niche situation for a country that’s already absolutely flooded with talent. If you’re good enough to play England later in your career, you probably already would’ve had a crack.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Am I the only one who is a bit upset that players are able to pick and choose a new country if eligible?

I kind of like to think that if you pull on a Wallaby jersey that you are dedicated to the Australian cause for life.

I have adjusted to players not being a "single club for life" in the modern game but surely a national jersey should mean something.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Am I the only one who is a bit upset that players are able to pick and choose a new country if eligible?

I kind of like to think that if you pull on a Wallaby jersey that you are dedicated to the Australian cause for life.

I have adjusted to players not being a "single club for life" in the modern game but surely a national jersey should mean something.

I think there's an argument to be made that players should be allowed one switch back to the nation of their birth (with a lengthy stand-down period) as for many from smaller countries, there's just no pathway to professional rugby unless you go and make a career overseas. But opening up the option to switch to the nation of your grandparents seems a little cheap imo.

That said I'm open to seeing how this develops going forward. And for Aus, anything that keeps the Pasifika diaspora in the country engaged with Union is a positive in my book.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Are the (future) kids of Tatafu Polota-Nau Tongan?

Of Tongan heritage absolutely, and if they feel a strong cultural affinity to Tonga (and are good enough rugby players) they should be allowed to be capped for Tonga as was allowed for in the pre-existing eligibility rules.

But to my understanding, the option to switch eligibility once you've already been capped for another nation was to prevent situations similar to that of Fekitoa. That being, someone who was born and raised in one country, but capped by another and then effectively cast aside. Being able to switch eligibility, once already capped, to the nation of your grandparents seems to go beyond the scope of the problem the rule change is trying to fix. What I would hate to see is a scenario like the Italian rugby league team where effectively the entire side is just Australians of Italian heritage.

But like I said, this is just my gut reaction and I think it's too early to tell how this is going to play out.

Last edited:

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Of Tongan heritage absolutely, and if they feel a strong cultural affinity to Tonga (and are good enough rugby players) they should be allowed to be capped for Tonga as was allowed for in the pre-existing eligibility rules.

But to my understanding, the option to switch eligibility once you've already been capped for another nation was to prevent situations similar to that of Fekitoa. That being, someone who was born and raised in one country, but capped by another and then effectively cast aside. Being able to switch eligibility, once already capped, to the nation of your grandparents seems to go beyond the scope of the problem the rule change is trying to fix. What I would hate to see is a scenario like the Italian rugby league team where effectively the entire side is just Australians of Italian heritage.

But like I said, this is just my gut reaction and I think it's too early to tell how this is going to play out.
There is still cash to consider and we have seen it play out for the Wallabies this year. Are you going to leave your fat contract in Japan to all but pay for the privilege of playing for Tonga or the USA or another non tier one nation, or are you going to make yourself unavailable for selection to keep your current club sweet and make you look more valuable for your next contract. Realistically if you are in consideration under the changes you are already a capped tier one nation international so you aren't going to be enhancing your reputation by being capped by another nation.

I can't see many taking up the option apart from maybe a chance to have a crack at a world cup.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There is still cash to consider and we have seen it play out for the Wallabies this year. Are you going to leave your fat contract in Japan to all but pay for the privilege of playing for Tonga or the USA or another non tier one nation, or are you going to make yourself unavailable for selection to keep your current club sweet and make you look more valuable for your next contract. Realistically if you are in consideration under the changes you are already a capped tier one nation international so you aren't going to be enhancing your reputation by being capped by another nation.

I can't see many taking up the option apart from maybe a chance to have a crack at a world cup.

One of the stated aims of the World League is a fairer distribution of revenue between T1 & T2/3. If that gets up (& that seems no more likely than this did a week ago) then playing for Samoa or USA could be almost as lucrative as NZ or Scotland.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
If I recall correctly, the whole Grandparent eligibility thing was all about Scotland/Wales etc being able to pick the odd bloke called Hamish or Gareth living and playing in England back in the 5N days, but it's evolved into a bit of a quagmire these days. Should be parents only, but the 5N teams like Scotland, Wales, Ireland and even Italy would never allow that to happen. Their teams are dependant on being able to select on that basis... hence all the Aussie/Kiwi/SA players in their teams based on the grandparent rule.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Ha anyone drawn up a list of who is eligible under these new laws for every country for the 2023 World Cup? Surely some bored journo is on the case

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If I recall correctly, the whole Grandparent eligibility thing was all about Scotland/Wales etc being able to pick the odd bloke called Hamish or Gareth living and playing in England back in the 5N days, but it's evolved into a bit of a quagmire these days. Should be parents only, but the 5N teams like Scotland, Wales, Ireland and even Italy would never allow that to happen. Their teams are dependant on being able to select on that basis... hence all the Aussie/Kiwi/SA players in their teams based on the grandparent rule.
Wonder if in the next 30 years it becomes less relevant for them as their migration waves recede further into the past beyond grandparent age

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't see why this needs to be grand parented in. I think it should be country of your birth only.

The only thing that is changing is the ability to represent another country after a three year stand down period. Aside from that all the original qualification rules stay the same.

If they ever removed the grandparent qualification it would be for everything (which isn't necessarily a crazy idea).

I still feel like the grandparent thing isn't crazy. If for example, one of Stephen Moore's kids wasn't born in Australia because the family was living overseas at the time, they would either need the grandparent rule to be eligible for the Wallabies or rely on the residency rule. People seem to have more issue with the residency rule than the grandparent rule.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I still feel like the grandparent thing isn't crazy. If for example, one of Stephen Moore's kids wasn't born in Australia because the family was living overseas at the time, they would either need the grandparent rule to be eligible for the Wallabies or rely on the residency rule. People seem to have more issue with the residency rule than the grandparent rule.
Surely there's a provision for who your parents actually represented? It may not be included in the transfers here, but I always thought you were eligible for whatever country your parents had been capped for.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely there's a provision for who your parents actually represented? It may not be included in the transfers here, but I always thought you were eligible for whatever country your parents had been capped for.

No. There's nothing in the eligibility rules regarding that to my knowledge.

The eligibility is country of birth, country of birth of your parents, country of birth of your grandparents, 5 year residency or 10 year cumulative residency.