• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pocock Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
As a potential Wallaby captain, choosing to do something in full knowledge it will get you arrested and charged is a little bit silly. Not career threatening, or brainless, just silly.

The fact it's not career threatening or brainless means it is not silly.

Pocock knew he could do it, the ARU knew he could do it, the media knew he could do it. I mean it is potentially a more serious crime than others have committed, but morally and ethically the ARU can not really go after him with any credibility because he's about the cleanest person in pro rugby.

There have been very few good news stories in Australian rugby this year (beyond the Waratahs) and this is one of them.

When you're in a privileged (not that he doesn't deserve it) position like David Pocock, laws are more like guidelines, consequences are all that matter. And Pocock has enough goodwill that he could probably get arrested another 4 or 5 times in a similar context and still be in the black.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The fact it's not career threatening or brainless means it is not silly.

Pocock knew he could do it, the ARU knew he could do it, the media knew he could do it. I mean it is potentially a more serious crime than others have committed, but morally and ethically the ARU can not really go after him with any credibility because he's about the cleanest person in pro rugby.

There have been very few good news stories in Australian rugby this year (beyond the Waratahs) and this is one of them.

When you're in a privileged (not that he doesn't deserve it) position like David Pocock, laws are more like guidelines, consequences are all that matter. And Pocock has enough goodwill that he could probably get arrested another 4 or 5 times in a similar context and still be in the black.

His actions may be career threatening if he breaches the law "another 4 or 5 times".
His privileged position will give him some credit points at the sentencing end of a judicial process, but doesn't give him the right to use laws as general guidelines.
A former Wallaby captain is arrested and charged. Obviously you think his cause is just to say that is good news for Australian Rugby. However, his main concern (global warming) is no longer discussed here for good reason.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm most disappointed in Pocock, and it's a perfect example of why the Wallabies will never be great. If it was Richie McCaw, there's no way he would have been arrested, Pocock really needs to improve his police/referee management.

Or find an invisibility cloak. No, wait... that would defeat the purpose.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's not true at all, for all the one's supporting him there's plenty condemning him for getting arrested. There's a reason sportsmen should stay out of politics, I can't imagine sponsors too happy with his involvement.

Qwerty, it would be nice if politicians stayed out of sport as well. How many times have we been subjected to the PM of the time lording it up with popular sportsmen and women just to be associated with their popularity. It can be very hypocritical, something no-one would accuse Pocock of being.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I am feeling some serious appreciation for Pocock. Contrasted against the rest of the Wallabies rabble, he is a beacon of hope.

He and his (kind of) wife, Emma, are two of the most grounded, passionate people I have been fortunate enough to meet.

This is just another one of the literally hundreds of positive and beneficial things they are doing.

Some that I can recall off the top of my head:

For a while he blacked out the sponsor on his boots because he didn't condone sweat shops (until the ARU made him stop).

They have made a conscious decision not to get married officially till gays can too.

He founded the Eighty Twenty Vision charity which is a fantastic cause to get behind. I encourage all you to have a flick through their website and see what you can donate.

His hero isn't Lomu or Michael Jordan (not that they aren't great heroes to have) but instead Desmond Tutu.

Together they heavily endorse not only the local Canberra rugby but also everything else local.

tl;dr: He's an absolute champion.

EDIT: here is the charity's website. Some nice Iphone cases to buy and t-shirts: http://www.eightytwentyvision.org/store/

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
1000 Years? Really. You need to look at the laws. At most about 400-500 years in England and then for a very select few. I didn't say he was King, I provided an example of somebody who is rightly revered who regularly engaged in peaceful non-violent civil disobedience. Ghandi is another. They were the figureheads of their movements but under them were thousands of Pocock's who stood by their convictions without the adulations of the masses that King et al received.

As for the Law being used as a blunt instrument in such cases, it hasn't been seen in Australia for a long time in such circumstances and is frowned upon by the courts. And yes I have been involved personally in such cases.

The Law of Tort of trespass was well established and settled law by the early 14th century. Under common law it evolved over a number of century;s prior to that.

Just an update for you....:)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I suppose the real stregnth of David's convictions about this particular issue, after the ARU warning will be shown if he does it again.

Go for it Dave !!!!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The ARU's reaction to this shows that it is very minor. They've given him a written warning for breaching the code of conduct which is the most tokenistic punishment they can dish out. It should be clear to everyone that he isn't being given a written warning for making an environmental protest. He's been chastised for getting arrested and charged.

All Pocock has to do is not do it again. He'll almost certainly have no conviction recorded this time around but he wouldn't be likely to be so fortunate if he did the same thing again.

For the record, I think the Maules Creek Coal Mine should never have gone ahead on environmental grounds. This protest came way too late though. The battle has been fought and lost. The mine is already operational and almost ready to ship their first load of coal. As a public figure who is greatly respected, perhaps Pocock should have looked for a site where he had the potential to make a difference for what would seem to be a one shot deal.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am feeling some serious appreciation for Pocock. Contrasted against the rest of the Wallabies rabble, he is a beacon of hope.

He and his (kind of) wife, Emma, are two of the most grounded, passionate people I have been fortunate enough to meet.

This is just another one of the literally hundreds of positive and beneficial things they are doing.

Some that I can recall off the top of my head:

For a while he blacked out the sponsor on his boots because he didn't condone sweat shops (until the ARU made him stop).

They have made a conscious decision not to get married officially till gays can too.

He founded the Eighty Twenty Vision charity which is a fantastic cause to get behind. I encourage all you to have a flick through their website and see what you can donate.

His hero isn't Lomu or Michael Jordan (not that they aren't great heroes to have) but instead Desmond Tutu.

Together they heavily endorse not only the local Canberra rugby but also everything else local.

tl;dr: He's an absolute champion.

EDIT: here is the charity's website. Some nice Iphone cases to buy and t-shirts: http://www.eightytwentyvision.org/store/

All laudable and I respect his rights to protest

But I do wonder if another player was protesting for less sexy positions whether we would be all respecting his right to protest as fervently

Like supporting the rights of journalists for free speech (which would cover the shit journalism of Andrew Bolt) to climate sceptics to anti immigration supporters to anti abortion protestors to pro nuclear energy rallies etc etc

My point? it is alway easier to support right to protest when you like what they are protesting for, much harder when you disagree with the posiiton

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The ARU's reaction to this shows that it is very minor. They've given him a written warning for breaching the code of conduct which is the most tokenistic punishment they can dish out. It should be clear to everyone that he isn't being given a written warning for making an environmental protest. He's been chastised for getting arrested and charged.

All Pocock has to do is not do it again. He'll almost certainly have no conviction recorded this time around but he wouldn't be likely to be so fortunate if he did the same thing again.

For the record, I think the Maules Creek Coal Mine should never have gone ahead on environmental grounds. This protest came way too late though. The battle has been fought and lost. The mine is already operational and almost ready to ship their first load of coal. As a public figure who is greatly respected, perhaps Pocock should have looked for a site where he had the potential to make a difference for what would seem to be a one shot deal.

BH

I just hope, for environmental reasons, that the written notice was done by email and not on white paper - old growth forests and all that.:)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH

I just hope, for environmental reasons, that the written notice was done by email and not on white paper - old growth forests and all that.:)

I'm guessing no one drove from St Leonard's to Canberra to deliver a piece of paper to Pocock yesterday so email seems likely.

I'm not sure where you're getting your paper from, but if it's from an old growth forest that's both amazing and inherently evil!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm guessing no one drove from St Leonard's to Canberra to deliver a piece of paper to Pocock yesterday so email seems likely.

I'm not sure where you're getting your paper from, but if it's from an old growth forest that's both amazing and inherently evil!

nah, the ARU use vellum made from baby koalas for these documents

Status
Not open for further replies.