• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

PODSLAM 77: What's In A Number? w/ Andrew Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
The good cop/bad cop routine worked but was thrilled by the detailed questioning by G&GR's resident analyst-coach.

Am I alone in being a little bemused by Blades long-winded answers at times. It may be harsh, but having Deans and Blades articulate their strategy/tactics to the Wallabies just doesn't inspire enormous confidence at all.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The good cop/bad cop routine worked but was thrilled by the detailed questioning by G&GR's resident analyst-coach.

Am I alone in being a little bemused by Blades long-winded answers at times. It may be harsh, but having Deans and Blades articulate their strategy/tactics to the Wallabies just doesn't inspire enormous confidence at all.

I was happy to hear his opinion with some opportunity of detail, a bit of rambling is better than stock cliches anyday, one of the reasons I love rugby is that there are so many different options in strategy and they all have consequences.

Like playing one less forward in defensive lineouts so they had another defender in the backline, now when I heard that eventually I thought it may have been down to Cooper defending at 10. That was the follow up question I was looking for, but I didn't come up with the question until the answer stewed for about 12 hours.

Interviews like this, over the phone, with deadlines look bloody hard.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the extra forward in the backline was more down to the AB's scoring 2 tries off first phase the week before. If the opposition are going to run around you it makes a little sense to make them run around an extra man.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I was happy to hear his opinion with some opportunity of detail, a bit of rambling is better than stock cliches anyday, one of the reasons I love rugby is that there are so many different options in strategy and they all have consequences.

Like playing one less forward in defensive lineouts so they had another defender in the backline, now when I heard that eventually I thought it may have been down to Cooper defending at 10. That was the follow up question I was looking for, but I didn't come up with the question until the answer stewed for about 12 hours.

Interviews like this, over the phone, with deadlines look bloody hard.
Thought the same thing but remember cooper didnt play the first test and they still dropped one out.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Oh how depressing it is listening to the stats that the ARU coaching staff rely upon. How long have they been using this provider for?

No wonder JON re-sign Deans on before the RWC because the stats look amazing and stats never lie!

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Blades told us the tactic was primarily to cover the offloading capability.

It was used in both matches - 5 times in the first match and 1 in the second match. Tony McGahn also said immediately after the Welsh series that it was a tactic they would be considering so wasn't just for Cooper.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Blades told us the tactic was primarily to cover the offloading capability.

It was used in both matches - 5 times in the first match and 1 in the second match. Tony McGahn also said immediately after the Welsh series that it was a tactic they would be considering so wasn't just for Cooper.

thanks makes more sense

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Am I the only one shocked that the ARU doesn't employ it's own statistician? I would have thought that this was an area in which competitive advantage is readily available. For example, breaking down statistics in minute detail can help break perception vs reality problems, and it can give new insights into your own team and the opposition. America is really leading the way with what are called "sabermetrics" by many. I would expect a big lag in rugby, but surely the ARU needs a stats and video package guy (don't know if they have a video guy) on the coaching staff.

(pssst. Scott. That should be you!)

Fascinating podcast though, guys. Well done!

dave

Stan Wickham (3)
(pssst. Scott. That should be you!)

No! We don't want to lose him from GaGR!!

Am I the only one shocked that the ARU doesn't employ it's own statistician?
I also found it surprising that they outsource this. Cost cutting perhaps? How long has it been outsourced?

However this isn't to say they don't look at the numbers they get and say, "Well that stat is wrong." But from the sounds of it Blades thought the stats they did get from this group were accurate. Discouraging. You only need to look at the game to know the set peice isn't exactly where it should be.

It could be that Blades was covering his butt a little bit. After all the set piece is his responsibility, is it not? And it looks as if the lineouts, at least, are getting worse. I also found it interesting what he was saying about the scrum performance during the Welsh series. Clearly our scrum was inferior against the Welsh but once again Blades was making it sound as if its faults were in fact a tactic. Bizarre.

It could also be that this, all things are rosy, positive attitude when speaking to the media is a bit of PR. Deans does it as well. Clearly the WBs "brand" suffers from losses. Maybe the party line for public consumption is that everything isn't as bad as it's portrayed elsewhere. This would help keep the fans hopeful that a WBs win is always more than possible and gets people through the gates. Purely conjecture on my part though.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Good to see he has a lot of respect for the scrummaging of Dan Palmer at least. That's a good sign for Dan coming from the forwards coach. Whether or not it shapes Dingo's opinion is another matter.

Big Paddy

Bob McCowan (2)
The thing that really worried me was that Baldes said he "didn't know" how line out turnovers were measured in the stats that he was quoting. Effectively the coaching staff are blindly receiving their performance stats from an out sourced company.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Just finished the interview for the latest PODSLAM with Justin 'Goog' Harrison. A cracker (well I loved it!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.