• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pools completed ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Going Home

Namibia

Ahh poor Namibia, truely holding the amateur candle after 4 pro tournaments. Its not all their fault, small population, lack of games against their peers, no money. Hoped they didnt make this WC to see if a Tunisia or a Morrocco would offer any else. The IRB need to get Africa sorted there are alot of countries playing now but at a very basic level and SA have to chip in a much bigger way than they are, Namibia do have some talented players, the 5/8 looks like he has a big future. Anyway, they have asked the IRB for help, lets see if they listen.

Canada

Accounted well today against the ABs but really, they should be trying to end the 80 pointers against them, they have been around long enough. Had a win and a draw they wouldnt be pleased with but did come back, need more pro players and sort their domestic comps.

USA

As above really, more solid squad with few pro players and got a win but still struggle in the set piece. Waiting for the potential we keep hearing about, maybe more gridiron athletes cross over, junior numbers are doing well and growing

Japan

Still no win but some great tries scored and a draw as they had in 03. Kirwan has done well in difficult circumstances but they are hosts in two WCs they need to be able to win games in this arena. Game still has a tiny profile at home, is this going to blow up in the IRB's faces? Have to learn to survive without palefaces.

Russia

Great debut. Big potential, have a pro league going, need more big games and provincial/club contact with the west of europe, this will help their technical flaws, nice to see a eastern european team that has backs that score tries. Dont see any team that can replace them for Eng in 2015.

Romania

No wins but some strong games, scrum as good as any, just dont have 80min in them, need some support from the IRB and big teams to play them in Bucharest as they do with Italy with their best players.

Georgia

Was expecting a bit more against Eng and Argentina, still offer nothing in the backs but a WC stalwart now.

Fiji

Isa lei Fiji, so disappointing after 07. FRU is holding the game back with infighting, poverty and corruption, a PI problem at the moment sadly. Another IRB headache but the new Pacific Rim tournament might helptheir cause

Samoa

They really let thier chances slip, Wales and SA were both beatable by them, some bad calls went their way, the after bitching is just not rugby despite them having a point on a couple of things

Tonga

Usually the poor relation of the 3 PIs but not this time, strong performance against NZ and then that win against France. But its the same PI theme, nothing between WCs because they cant get their players back from clubs then they just miss out in the WC, Tonga deserve to be in the quarters.

Italy

Still not there, its slowly slowly, maybe more 6nations consintency and grow a 5/8, demolished tonight against Ireland

Scotland

Always seems to have someone in their way, it was Argentina again. Got stuck in the classic NH penalty battle last night and couldnt cross the line, Eng did so they deserve to go on. Young squad, could do things in 4 years

Finalists

Eng

Mmmmm...we have seen this before, lackluster pool rounds then shazam, they are in a final. Doubt they have what it takes to win but could definately crawl into a final, Wilko is finding his target, he is still crucial 8 years after that awful night .

Wales

Could have their best WC ever but Ireland will be a test, good outside backs and back 3.

Ireland

Their performances have got better each game, building well, have the old heads. Can fall in a heap for no apparent reason but Im not seeing it, they should get to the semis at least

France

What on earth is going on? Its easy to say Eng should walk this but only a fool writes off the French. Are we turning into the French?????

Argentina

Led by their maestro, Kelly Slater look a like, Contepomi needs to find the target or they will be gone, can get over the try line but against the ABs you would think they have come as far as they can and thats not unexpected with their form of the last 4 years

SA

Wales & Samoa showed they can be beat but with a really good game plan, they will miss Steyne but their back row has to be stopped. It will be a very tough match. They can go all the way if they get some luck with the best they can play

NZ

So..Carter out and McCaw not looking 100%. The only things that have brought other teams into the race. Very beatable now but still incredibly hard at home at Eden park but they dont have the points machine of Carter now.

Australia

Want to feel confident but struggling, still havent had our finalsed side play because Barnes has to come in. OC is kicking better, Quade still worries me thats why Barnes is good as he talks and calms those around him, scrum just has to perform...not even dominate just not give away 3 points in front of the points, they have to be able to change a gameplan(that means have at least 2). They beat the Boks this year, they need to sit down and talk about that game, no point talking beyond this game as there is no rugby if we lose.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Mr Negative right here haha. Some positivity would of been nice towards the lower sides.

Samoa were unlucky in two matches and probably deserved to qualify, Canada, USA and Georgia all showed they are capable of matching it.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
It's a real shame Samoa missed out this time around; maybe I'm not giving credit to their development systems, but it seems like this was/is a bit of a golden generation.

Great summary.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Mr Negative right here haha. Some positivity would of been nice towards the lower sides.

Samoa were unlucky in two matches and probably deserved to qualify, Canada, USA and Georgia all showed they are capable of matching it.

Eh? I did say Tonga deserved to be in the finals and other things. Those teams you mention cant match it...for 80mins. As I keep saying that can easily change if they can get better games between WCs

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Grevious,

Your summary was scarily similar to my own thoughts.

Gaps between most minnows and tier 1 is closing but will still be there next time around.

Gaps between "established" minnows and "new" minnows is very narrow.

Any one of 6 QF teams can win Bill.

Cruel QF's are probably Ire v Wal, and Saf v Aus.

Shit happens. Lady Luck and Luck of the Draw are important factors of RWC success.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'll just plagarise the structure of the OP

Going Home

Namibia

No argument with what is posted above.

Canada

With a limited playing group I thought theyv went pretty well. Would be disappointed with some of the tries they let in but all in all they acquitted themselves OK.

USA
7s and Olympics will help get the profile in the US for the sport to grow.

Japan

I am disappointed with Japan this time around. I think Kirwan did them a real disservice in the game against NZ, the heads were down after 5 minutes and the coaches comments after the game confirmed to me that their attitude going into this game was wrong at the outset, hence they not only got whipped but they didn't play like they usually do.

Russia

One of the highlights of this RWC for me. Great effort and some really good tries from them.

Romania

As above.

Georgia

They haven't really developed from 4 years ago but they have a pack and a half.

Fiji

A big big disappointment for me, but I always felt that they were not their old selves coming into the tournament but they totally lacked the pace and accuracy that has been the hallmark of Fiji rugby for so long.

Samoa

I feel for Samoa and I think they have genuine cause for complaint regarding the turnaround time for their Welsh game. None of the tier 1 nations have ever had that sort of turn around. As for the SA game they lost that one in the first half through some poor defence.

Tonga

Great to see a Tongan revival. Love the win against Le Frog.

Italy

The forward pack is a bit of a myth really. Have a look at the number of penalties they concede in the scrum for a start, and even that set piece falls apart when Castro goes off. They have nothing at all in attack from the backs even after so long in a Pro Comp.

Scotland

Unlucky Scots. I think they are a better team than the Argies but they do get sucked into playing a narrow game plan too often and get caught on the wings.

Finalists

Eng

I think they have been quietly building all year. Each game they have executed a little better. My pick for the Final from this side of the draw.

Wales

Outperformed what I expected and I really like the look of their new 10 and great to see Roberts back to form after so long. George North is another great find. The stars will have to align again for them to defeat a very good Ireland side.

Ireland
The most complete Irish side I have seen. Ever. The Irish backrow is what I see as the blueprint for future backrows unless you have a Brussow or Pocock. Funny it is the old style 80s and early 90s backrow. I think they will be too much for the Welsh next week and they also have better depth in key spots.

France

Typical France. More than any other side they can play abominably, ineptly, disinterested four out of five games regardless of who their coaching staff is. Then for one game they will play sublime irresistable Rugby, an we haven't seen that game from them this year or last for that matter. Will it be next week? I don't buy the divided camp bit with France either, they have always been that way if stories of past RWC are to be believed. I think the Poms will do this easily unless of course it is the French day to play.

Argentina

A great pity that Hernandez was injured. I still rate him one of the great players around at the moment and he would have made an average attack that much more threatening. I feel they have been lucky a few times so far, as in the Scot game. I think they will crash and burn next week, Contempomi is being held together with strapping tape ATM and the backs are even more rudderless without him.

SA
Sitting pretty ATM. They have built strongly into the season and the Clown is looking less of a clown every day and more of a master manager who second language is English. I think they will defeat Oz fairly easily next week and go down in a very hard match against the ABs a week later.

NZ

Still have to be favourites but without Carter calm in the pocket and McCaw on one foot they are starting to look shakey, but they are still my pick for the final.

Australia

Sorry to say but they are running true to form. Poor selection policies for four years, no structure, no plan, brittle culture. A good win followed by inexplicable losses will not win the RWC and that is what some here have been saying for a few seasons. They are just not playing well enough to win now that the pressure is well and truly on. Can't see them beating SA next week.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Time and cost are an issue but methinks there could be an opportunity to run a plate RWC for the minnows.

Keep the teams in the Main Centres. Transport teams to the provinces for game day if necessary to "share the love".

IRB to run skills development camps for players and coaches on "off days".

Keeps the punters in the host country spending, eating, drinking, wanging on about Rugby.

The european clubs should have already made allowance for all their international players to be away for the entire RWC period.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder what the future of the RWC is ATM. With the threats made public by the NZRU and supported by the ARU (ironically the driving forces in the creation of the Cup in the first place) and the dissatisfaction of the some of the PI nations I think there will be demands for a major restructure of the whole tournament. The "plate" system has huge merit and is something I would like to see. However with the Euro clubs basically controlling the game in the NH apart from this small RWC window how will the IRB get any changes over the line. The ARU and NZRU have put their collective nuts on the block by going public with their concerns and threats and I think it is very risky given where the control of the NH Unions resides and they have collectively more votes on the IRB than we do.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gotta say, I watch some of these minnow forward packs and I just envy them in the way they go into contact in both attack and defense, get physical at the breakdown and have a scrum equal or better to ours...

Oh sure, we do the technical stuff better to save our ass, and lineout is often an issue for them, but with our professional setup and superior player numbers why is it that our modern forwards lack a degree of toughness?

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
A Plate would make no odds for NH clubs; it's the international window, and we have to deal with two in any event. They've been counted out of the reckoning for the duration for the ongoing leagues.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Cheers Lee and others.

Cant say Im into the plate thing, reckon that belongs to 7s. Im admirer of the soccer WC format and would like to see our minnows come through in ours like asian and african sides have in theirs. It is and should be the pinnacle, if you are not good enough to progress you go home. What rugby needs to change is the same teams making the top 8 each tournament. We should keep aiming for that and gradually erode the current power structure and turn IRB into more of a FIRA model with better representations from all regional associations. Hopefully Im alive when the Brazils, Germany's, Yanks and Chinese have the same chance of make the finals as we do, then it will be truely global.

Status
Not open for further replies.