• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pre-season Match Brumbies v Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Tahs won. 2 late tries. Go you good things.

Kept up via the @nswwaratahs Twitter feed.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not having seen it, was it a good game? Any stand-outs (especially unexpected) from either side?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not having seen it, was it a good game? Any stand-outs (especially unexpected) from either side?

I couldn't watch the whole thing, but early on the Brumbies looked very dominant (particularly their set piece) when it was basically their NRC team, but the Tahs seemed to have most of the ball in the second half and were making good metres.............

For the Brumbies Smiler was very physical, and the Cubelli/To'omua combination looked a class above while they were on.............

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Live stream delayed replay on @ 10:15pm.

Full game replay available post the above game.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Dave Dennis was boned very early on, resembled a starfish for a while there. He was moving around though not long afterwards.

Waratahs did enough to get over the line, from where I was at the ground, the Cubelli To'omua combo was sweet, Zac Guildford was dangerous.

Heat played a factor for both teams with some poor passing from the Tahs costing them at key points in the game.
Will Skelton worked hard and his match up with Sam Carter was a highlight of the game for me.

Will Houston as referee did a good job and controlled the game well. There was a switch in refs in the second half and the second guy didn't have the same presence as Will. Angus Gardner was positive as a referee coach too.

I thought Josh Mann Rae played well too. Jordan Smiler was tough and Jordan Jackson Hope played well on debut.

I've had a gut full of free piss and I'm going to bed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Guildford was a standout for the Tahs. He'll be in their best side.

Reece Robinson had a good first game and looked pretty dangerous.

There were good individual performances on both sides but generally pretty scrappy as you'd expect from a preseason game. The Tahs coming home in the final minutes is hopefully a good sign of how fit the team is.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Reece Robinson did very well considering 'feedback from the crowd' like this:

'You were shit at the Broncos, shit at the Raiders and shit at the Eels. What are you doing here?'

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Reece Robinson did very well considering 'feedback from the crowd' like this:

'You were shit at the Broncos, shit at the Raiders and shit at the Eels. What are you doing here?'
Probably a few of the local league fans unloading as usual....

I thought he played well too.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Watched the first two quarters from the shaded western side. The Tahs inside backs buggered up a lot of ball then, looked as though they'd just met each other recently. Brumbies run-on team looked much better organised.

Shifted over to the eastern side during the third quarter, checked to see if my brother was still alive on the Waggatahs BBQ (the busiest one on ground), watched the poor bastard from afar, he didn't stop all night. Tahs pressed the Brumbies goal-line from the 55 min mark for the rest of the game, but turned the ball over four times. However, they did manage to score two tries during this time and win the match. I found it noticeable during the time the Tahs coughed up the ball just before the 60 min break and afterwards the Brumbies put in poor clearing kicks, they still ended up with defensive lineouts deep in their half. Something to be addressed. Brumbies looked absolutely buggered from the 65 min mark.

Guildford and Robinson both played very well. Lucas's pass had its usual crispness and accuracy, his replacement tended to wait that split second to see who was where. Ryan went down in a few early scrums, didn't look good. Holloway put in an honest performance, Skelton dragged many Brumbies defenders up the paddock with him before he ran out of petrol. A good first-up hitout.

Status
Not open for further replies.