• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Preaching to the converted. RWC impact on the Non Converted

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Here in Jarseland, nearly every second of every game has been watched, discussed, and watched again along with the rest of old games on the Rugby Channel Fox sports 3 either live or recorded on IQ.

With the Junior Jarses playing, La Jarse and self, coaching, refereeing, administrating, cooking BBQ for canteen, watching and taxi driving for training and games, too much of Heaven's game is not enough.

The RWC has been awesome, but we don't have too many non rugby acquaintances, so for us it is hard to judge the impact of the cup on the non believers.

While fellow Gaggerlanders are probably not a very representative sample, we do have some netizens in other non rugby countries, that may also want to comment on how effective the RWC has been in "growing" the game.

Have I said how much we are loving RWC?

Most of my family who are die-hard Rugby League fans and not regular Rugby watcher's have been glued to the screen over each weekend of the RWC so far. They've all become experts on the game (I just bite me tongue and let them think they know what they are talking about, in my family feeling intelligent and worldly is very important, well, at least among the older member's and I don't have the heart to cut them down to size) and are thoroughly enjoying the event. While I suspect a few of them(mainly the older ones who are more band-wagoner's than true fans outside of RL of course) will fall back into the fold post-RWC the Gen Y members of my family have definitely been converted with one of them stating at a recent family gathering and I quote "Christ, Rugby is so much more interesting to watch than League, there's always something happening", that one in particular has decided to forego his Wests Tigers season tickets next next year in favour of purchasing a Tahs package. Others appear to soon be following.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There seems to be more coverage of the Wallabies this week in the commercial TV network news. Whether this continues depends on how the Wallabies go this weekend. It also helps that the NRL and AFL have finished their seasons so they need to fill their minutes.

NRL has a test this weekend against NZ on sunday @ 4pm: the lack of coverage of that fact is mind blowing and can only really be attributed to the fact that the RWC is the go at the moment

HKTiger

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Austrian barman at the spa resort in Serfaus (Dolomites) Austria, that I was at last Sunday, knew the result of the QF's and could discuss the importance of a) the French beating the English and b) the AB vs Wobs semi final this weekend. I was impressed. He got a good tip.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
NRL has a test this weekend against NZ on sunday @ 4pm: the lack of coverage of that fact is mind blowing and can only really be attributed to the fact that the RWC is the go at the moment

Wish that were true. On Grand Final day, with Ireland playing Italy, all the Mickers in the bar were dressed up in green watching NRL. Most pubs didn;t have RWC on at all. Channel 9 coverage has ensured no conversions. Generating hype around rugby is easier but all depends on game tomorrow

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)

The ARL does fear the popularity of rugby, as year after year, they program their tests to "coincide" with a Wallabies match!! They couldn't get any closer this Sunday, and still have it screened on 9. I suspect News Ltd told them when their match was to be played?!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SMH Weekend Edition today has the top 1/3 of the Front Page, and the first 8 pages of the Weekend Sport liftout dedicated to the RWC Final.
The rest of Weekend Sport has Page 9 about some mungoball game in Newcastle, 4 pages of Racing, 2 pages each for Diveball and Cricket, 1 page each for General sport, 1 for motorsport and the Fitz Files.

That is some coverage for Heaven's Game. Slow sports news day.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
SMH Weekend Edition today has the top 1/3 of the Front Page, and the first 8 pages of the Weekend Sport liftout dedicated to the RWC Final.
The rest of Weekend Sport has Page 9 about some mungoball game in Newcastle, 4 pages of Racing, 2 pages each for Diveball and Cricket, 1 page each for General sport, 1 for motorsport and the Fitz Files.

The Age has about 1 one page dedicated to the RWC and it is about 15 pages in. Most of the sport section taken up by the Caulfield Cup.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
CM is all rugby atm you wouldn't think anything else is on... It's been the top story for 7 days straight on 7 and 9 sports too

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Back on topic, as a rugby follower or player since the early 80's, I still occasionally struggle with either the rules themselves or their interpretation. So I sympathise a great deal to anyone new to the game.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

Spare a thought for those of us living in Newcastle, I checked the Herald online for any updates/news on the RWC & its all on the stupid Mungo test coming up. Literally have to search days and days back to find a Rugby article. They may save an article right up until tomorrow, wont save my breath.

Back on topic, as a rugby follower or player since the early 80's, I still occasionally struggle with either the rules themselves or their interpretation. So I sympathise a great deal to anyone new to the game.

My uncle is the same, he loves Rugby even though he's a Roosters/Mungo fan, I remember him watching the SA/Aus Quarter recently & saying "I dont know all the laws & whats going on all the time but this game has been an amazing display of defence". I find a lot of mates I take to my own games say they like the continuing nature of Rugby rather than the stop-start nature of league despite not grapsing all the laws, strangely I find the Mungos usually accuse our game of being stop-start.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
That QF game last week against S Africa got everyone talking. I couldn't believe how many people at work were buzzing about it Monday, mostly people who'd never said a word about rugby previously.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
tonight's match had everyone saying -ref decides the outcome and it's nothing but a penalty shootout. Not good after so many great games. Plus the final is not going to be a showcase. No, the send off had many repercussions

I

International Badboy

i have never played a game of league in my life but im a passionate wests tigers fan, ive only played union my whole life since i was eight and i love the Wallabies but i dont really like the waratahs, i have been loving the reds for a while now though, they play rugby like it should be played. come to think of it i hate nothern hemisphere rugby, i like the way the ABs and the Wobs play

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sun Herald Today:
1/3 Front Page (SBW vs QC (Quade Cooper)) and 2/3 backpage (Sports "front page" - Kurtailed)
of 14 pages of sport, 1 page golf/basketball, 2 pages Cricket (with minor Netball and motorsport stories), 2 pages Diveball, 1 page Mungoball test, 1 page Mungoball other, 4 pages RWC, 1 page Caufield cup, 1 page Danny Weidler gossip, back page Kurtailed photo and Manly mungoball.

Not sure how many converts will have come across as a result of last nights game.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The ARL does fear the popularity of rugby, as year after year, they program their tests to "coincide" with a Wallabies match!! They couldn't get any closer this Sunday, and still have it screened on 9. I suspect News Ltd told them when their match was to be played?!

MD, I suspecr the ARL/RLIF/whatever expected Australia to top their pool and play on the Saturday. Even the boganballer bosses wouldn't be so stupid to schedule a mungo test at the same time as the Wallabies take on the ABs. Let's see what the crowd's like in Newcastle today.

Status
Not open for further replies.