• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proper tours

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amanda

Meaningful test matches, midweek games, development of second-tier nations all sounds good to me. Wonder what it'll look like for Aus.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Don't be sarcastic, Langers, it was the result of lobbying by those three progressive unions, England, Ireland and Scotland.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
good news for our franchises right? Firstly S15 means more games and more home games, as well as guaranteed finals and local derbies.

Throw in some mid week games v touring teams and I would hope that means a BIG increase in revenues?

G

Geeves

Noddy said:
good news for our franchises right? Firstly S15 means more games and more home games, as well as guaranteed finals and local derbies.

Throw in some mid week games v touring teams and I would hope that means a BIG increase in revenues?

This format will get the wallaby supporters ready for the 2013 lions tours which will help fill the coffers and the 5 (bloody well hoping there is) warm up matches will be huge events. What the Australian supporters and ARU marketing learnt from the lions supporters was a real eye opener. The Gabba was nothing but a sea of red in test 1 but by test 2 it was wear the gold.

I just hope by then the tickets are still affordable as I sure wouldn't want to pay the prices the NZ public is being asked to fork out for the 2011 RWC if they want to see the AB.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lindommer said:
Don't be sarcastic, Langers, it was the result of lobbying by those three progressive unions, England, Ireland and Scotland.

You mean the ones who can balance their books, don't have to hawk their big games around such rugby hot-spots as Denver, Colorado, play games against the developing and PI countries every year and who actually fill their stadia for tour games even when marquee names are missing from the opposition due to injury - or, indeed, the selection of "rotation" or deliberately weakened teams - without whinging?

People in glass houses should be wary of reaching for the stone pile, Lindommer. ;)

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thomond78 said:
Lindommer said:

You mean the ones who can balance their books, don't have to hawk their big games around such rugby hot-spots as Denver, Colorado, play games against the developing and PI countries every year and who actually fill their stadia for tour games even when marquee names are missing from the opposition due to injury - or, indeed, the selection of "rotation" or deliberately weakened teams - without whinging?

People in glass houses should be wary of reaching for the stone pile, Lindommer. ;)

people in glass houses should always wear clothes....

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
#1 Tah said:
Thomond78 said:
Lindommer said:

people in glass houses should always wear clothes....

Unless, of course, they're Sapphically-curious Slovenian, Stellenbosch or Swedish lingerie models. :)

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
PaarlBok said:
Love tours but something have to give to get them in a already overdose season.

That's the thing; no extra tests. In fact, with the revenue from mid-week, and with the mid-weeks building up interest for the tests to get full houses, you can even start dropping some of the bullshit extra tests being rammed into the season all the time, without losing revenue. And this while bringing the game back to the clubs and provinces, and blooding new players in the mid-week games. As the turn-outs for the Bokke mid-week games showed last November, it's win-win.

I'd like to point out at this point that the Bokke haven't beaten Munster in, ooh, longer than my lifetime. ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sound to good to be true. Pretty sure SA have back this one with the amount of development we have to do.

C

chief

What will happen in a Lions year. Who will NZ, Argenina, and SA get?

As there is only Italy and France

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
chief said:

NZ/SA could tour Argentina while the other tours the Pacific Islanders? Or the opposite (ie Argies/Magnums being the tourists)

F

feed_me

chief said:

I guess it would have to be a non 6-nations team. More involvement for North America, Pacific Islands and Japan has been flagged - possibly one of them.

G

Geeves

feed_me said:
chief said:

I guess it would have to be a non 6-nations team. More involvement for North America, Pacific Islands and Japan has been flagged - possibly one of them.

Nope the northern unions will just send the normal strength sides they always do.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Quite. This one again.

Tell you what; put your guys through eighteen months without a break of NH rugby workloads - that's 30+ games a season, btw - including a Lions tour. And then see how many of them are still in one piece to tour.

We've dealt with this argument before, here. And, quite frankly, given that we don't whine and still have the loyalty to turn up when the SH sends up openly under-strength teams in November, cry us a bloody river, go support your team regardless and sort out your own finances instead of constantly bludging off us for TV and gate receipts.

Rant ends. For now. :angryfire:

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thomond78 said:
Quite. This one again.

Tell you what; put your guys through eighteen months without a break of NH rugby workloads - that's 30+ games a season, btw - including a Lions tour. And then see how many of them are still in one piece to tour.

We've dealt with this argument before, here. And, quite frankly, given that we don't whine and still have the loyalty to turn up when the SH sends up openly under-strength teams in November, cry us a bloody river, go support your team regardless and sort out your own finances instead of constantly bludging off us for TV and gate receipts.

Rant ends. For now. :angryfire:

When was that again?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
"the SH sends up openly under-strength teams in November"

and

"People in glass houses should be wary of reaching for the stone pile"

Two opinions from the same author :frans and both within this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.