• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Publishing a Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Mrs Sully is a great cook and wants to publish her cook book. I have no idea (no shock there) where to start. Can any of youse intelligent types point me in the right direction. My computer has the Googles so I did a search and got a million hits.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
- get an angle for the book (I'm a good cook isn't enough - make it the queenslanders' cook book, or the menopause cook book, or the cook book for young men, or whatever)
- get an agent - if you find one that believes in the project, they'll get it on publishers' desks

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
We were thinking more along the lines of self publishing Scarf. Her father is a new age guru and she cooks for his live in workshops. This is the vegetarian recipes from the retreat. It is call 'Food fot the Living Soul'.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
How about an e-book? Can still charge for them, there are no overheads, easy to produce, no need for a publisher or an agent, and the new age types will love it cause there's no paper fot the win

S

spooony

You need a publisher first otherwise you are going to get ripped off

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
There are enough stories out there that suggest that isn't always the case. Matthew Reilly is the best example I can think of.
Yes he has a publisher now but his first book was self published.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
How about an e-book? Can still charge for them, there are no overheads, easy to produce, no need for a publisher or an agent, and the new age types will love it cause there's no paper fot the win

Totally agree, the interwebs are best for self publication and cutting out the middle man. Plenty of us here would help.

S

spooony

There are enough stories out there that suggest that isn't always the case. Matthew Reilly is the best example I can think of.
Yes he has a publisher now but his first book was self published.
Was it electronic?
Electronic = Ability to copy

When I say your going to get ripped I am talking about my pirated experience

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
There is a guy who has sold a few million e-books, as a self published author. Then he wrote a book about self-publishing and online sales. Or maybe it's in his blog somewhere. Anyway, he's a refreshing sort of bloke. A guy called John Locke. His books are the Donovan Creed series and the Emmet Love series.

http://donovancreed.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.