• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas v Wallabies, Rosario, 5th October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Only 12min in so far watching the replay on Fox. The start was brilliant. The scrums at around the 11min mark are hard to watch.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
This is the biggest match of the year, who will get the wooden spoon. Besides 2011 it's been a while since we expected to compete for top billing so avoiding last isn't unfamiliar territory. With the Argies yet to secure a win in nearly two seasons of the RWC the Wallabies can inflict significant psychological trauma by denying them in what appears their best chance to date.

To do this the Wallabies need to (obviously) avoid scrummaging within kicking distance. But that being said I remember the game against France (2010) when B.Alexander got yellow carded and a penalty try awarded in the first half, our scrum looked utterly useless. The second half the Wallabies ran them ragged scoring from range, at will. The score that day 16-59 to the wallabies.

It just goes to show what can happen when a team trusts themselves and their game, even when the scrum goes to shit. Come on wallabies!! Believe and be ruthless!

Called it, 15-54 is pretty close and Alexander only just escaped the yellow.

To be honest though, we scrummaged better today.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I realise it a stupid question. I don't watch the tahs play that much except against the reds and I can't say I remember him at 15 in those games.

Foley played at 15 for all but the last two rounds the year that the other Foley was coach. As a 15 he wasn't that good, not terrible but his skills just didn't match the job requirements. Popgun kicking out of hand and lack of top end speed were the major problems. Finally he got a go at 10 and looked promising for a newbie 10. Last year at 10 he killed it and I'm drooling looking forward to him leading us round the park next year.

At 15 I reckon he would be about as good as Lilo would be and I think they have pretty similar skillsets as 15's. But not while I stand vertical would I ever suggest either should wear gold at 15. About five other alternatives would have to be injured before you would even consider it.

rams

Stan Wickham (3)
i don't condone what the Pumas 9 did to Faiinga but his hands should never have been there in the first place, Faiinga always goes in off his feet, has he not heard about supporting your own bodyweight, shoulders above hips etc. Aside from my gripe, much improved effort by the Wallabies, hopefully they can gain some much needed confidence to challenge the top sides.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I wonder if O'Connor not being there had any positive affect on the Wallabies touring party. He sure has been a distraction lately, and reading between the lines over the past month, a real thorn in the side of team unity.

Maybe his axing has galvanised the team. Maybe not. Interesting coincidence though.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gee, Rob Simmons seems to be getting a right pasting (again) in the rankings. Other than the daft tackle on Contemponi (btw - I would rather that than the absolutely pathetic attempt that Timani put on in about the 70th minute which opened a massive hole), I thought he had a pretty good game with a pretty meaningful amount of work around the ground and pretty solid lineout work.

His bum still sticks up come scrum time - but he is setting up lower than before I have noticed.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The problem I have with Simmons is the stupid undisciplined shit he does, and regularly. He would be a much better player if he just focused on pushing in scrums, cleaning out at the breakdown and catching the ball from lineouts and restarts.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The problem I have with Simmons is the stupid undisciplined shit he does, and regularly. He would be a much better player if he just focused on pushing in scrums, cleaning out at the breakdown and catching the ball from lineouts and restarts.
And yet Mowen is penalised more often.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
And yet Mowen is penalised more often.
(acckkk!!! I can't seem to edit my own posts :/ )

What I mean by that is that Mowen is considered to have had a pretty good game by most, when he also gives away some pretty awful infringements (more often than Simmons).

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
(acckkk!!! I can't seem to edit my own posts :/ )

What I mean by that is that Mowen is considered to have had a pretty good game by most, when he also gives away some pretty awful infringements (more often than Simmons).

I don't remember him getting carded for decking a player a mile off of the ball.

I thought Simmons had fixed the stupid shit but that just set him way, way back in my book. He doesn't bring nearly enough onto the field to justify giving away cards and brainless penalties like that.

Mowen often gets pinged trying to bend the rules. Simmons gets pinged because I'm not sure if he knows them yet.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't remember him getting carded for decking a player a mile off of the ball.

I thought Simmons had fixed the stupid shit but that just set him way, way back in my book. He doesn't bring nearly enough onto the field to justify giving away cards and brainless penalties like that.

Mowen often gets pinged trying to bend the rules. Simmons gets pinged because I'm not sure if he knows them yet.
Haha - fair enough.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Fairly simple solution here; When Higgers comes back (even for EOYT) start him at 8, move Mowen to the bench, keep Fardy at 6, give Pyle a run at 4 and boot Simmons to the bench or out of the match day 23.

(no bias was used in the creation of this post).

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Fairly simple solution here; When Higgers comes back (even for EOYT) start him at 8, move Mowen to the bench, keep Fardy at 6, give Pyle a run at 4 and boot Simmons to the bench or out of the match day 23.

(no bias was used in the creation of this post).

I think we're more likely to see Fardy moved to lock and Pyle coming off of the bench, maybe even throw Sam Carter in the mix.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I think we're more likely to see Fardy moved to lock and Pyle coming off of the bench, maybe even throw Sam Carter in the mix.

Probably right here. Perhaps a start against the Italians or Scots might be in order. Hope his wing will be right for the tour.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Gee, Rob Simmons seems to be getting a right pasting (again) in the rankings. Other than the daft tackle on Contemponi (btw - I would rather that than the absolutely pathetic attempt that Timani put on in about the 70th minute which opened a massive hole), I thought he had a pretty good game with a pretty meaningful amount of work around the ground and pretty solid lineout work.

His bum still sticks up come scrum time - but he is setting up lower than before I have noticed.

I think I would prefer one missed tackle as opposed to giving away a penalty and spending the next 10 minutes a man down. But that might be just me.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I had no problem with the stamp by the Pumas 9.

Hands off the ball or they bleed. That's how it should be.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think I would prefer one missed tackle as opposed to giving away a penalty and spending the next 10 minutes a man down. But that might be just me.

Absolutely.

But I reckon it is more than that. The Wallabies have had a pretty bloody good track record when it comes to dangerous play and that something to be proud of. We have never had players of the likes of Schalk Burger, Dylan Hartley and Ma'a Nonu. Although Rob Simmons is starting down that path. Yes he shouldn't do it because it's 10 minutes in the bin, but I reckon there is a pride factor in there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.