• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies, 25th July 2015, Mendoza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Cheikaball is close to failing at this level. The forwards aren't dominate and it looks like a good reason big 12s are all the rage elsewhere.

Like shelts89's comment about Skelton, that's a weird thing to say about Cheika's first test with proper preparation time and a squad of his selection. It seemed to work quite well once Phipps, Pocock and To'omua came on.

G

galumay

Will be interesting to see what the side ends up looking like. I dont think Cooper will start this game, how many other changes probably depend on what combinations Chieka wants to look at. Still not a game to take lightly, the Pumas will be very hard to beat at home. I suspect we will have to play quite a bit better than against the Boks to have a chance, you dont score too many miracle, 'come from a long way behind' games, after the full time hooter.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I think when selecting for this test several things must be considered
a) winning the Test match - To do this we will NEED set piece solidity, breakdown accuracy and timing (though that will improve with a more practise of the attacking shape. We won't be caught short so often) and MAUL DEFENSE.
b) Try answering some of the questions thrown up by how last week unfolded with an eye to the RWC (now and only now is this allowed, once we're into playing NZ I want us to just be thinking WIN and get used to winning). Such questions as
- Is Skelton truly a weak scrummager? What is Australia's strongest scrummaging tight 5 (a more pertinent question than top props IMO)?
- Can Poey and Hooper be deployed effectively from the start of games? If so, for how long before the burden of having to use short lineouts and other tricks to cover set piece deficiencies is exposed?
- Does Quade deserve to start games at RWC? What is the best combination of 10/12 to manage the balance of attacking go forward vs the obvious width/speed the Wallabies will try to play at?
- Can Quade or Giteau kick goals well enough that it isn't worth considering Foley or Lealiifano ahead of them (or on bench) for this reason?
- Do any of our wingers have any genuine pace?

With those in mind, this is what I would go with (short explanations after each group).

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu

16. Slipper
17. TPN
18. Holmes
Slipper didn't play well last week, and as has been noted previously should be managed carefully. Furthermore, Sio's carries were very powerful last week and I want to see more of him from the start of matches to make a good comparison. I think Slipper will start at RWC but I want Sio playing into red hot form as insurance. Kepu and Holmes both need to keep accumulating minutes and scrums. Kepu in particular I want to pack and succeed in as many Test scrums this year as possible so that when we arrive at Twickenham, the world (and in particular referees) have seen that the Wob scrum is by and large competitive.

4. Skelton
5. Horwill

19. Simmons
Ok hear me out. Simmo is top lock and Skelton struggled last week in patches but he won't improve at what he needs to by coming off the bench. Furthermore, note that in Super Rugby Skelton packs at TH lock behind Kepu at Tahs and Simmons packs at TH behind Holmes at Reds where Horwill packs behind Slipper. Against Boks I'm pretty sure it was Skelton at TH and Simmo at LH , but at one of them was in an unaccustomed position at the scrum. What I want to try out is putting Horwill at LH and Skelton at TH from the start. This serves a number of purposes
- These two are probably the wallabies best two defenders of the maul.
- Horwill or Fardy runs lineout (good experience in case Simmo goes down later in year)
- Gives opportunity to examine a few of the possible tight 5 scrummaging permutations under heavy pressure and through selective use of bench isolate out likely weak links (e.g if we improve again after Skelton comes off, with Horwill and Simmo in their preferred alignment then that gives useful information going forward).
- Rewards Horwill for a good performance last week. Keeps him hungry for more minutes and starts. Not a bad thing to have in your likely bench lock.
- Gives chance to play a portion of the game with two jumping locks and the Pocock/Hooper combo and examine the value in that set up.

6. Fardy
7. Hooper (with instructions to keep his fucking head down and push)
8. Pocock

20. Higgers
Risky but worth it in my view. Pocock is obviously strong and will provide plenty of power from the back of the scrum with some instruction. On defensive scrums Hooper 7 (to tackle) and Pocock 8 (to pilfer) on attacking scrums you could use Hooper's speed from 8 but I don't see it as necessary, Dave's style of running (tight, drive through heavy traffic) is completely adequate for running from 8 if the ball is scrappy. Obviously a lineout problem, so as I said above a combination of short lineouts, trick throws and double bluff and actually use Skelton (have seen him jump so I don't believe he can't leave the ground, just that if he's contested he'd probably lose) and Pocock (actually took a few for the Force a few years ago when playing in tandem with Hodgson) for as long as practical before subbing on Simmons and/or Higgers. Pocock and Hooper simply have to be tried out and this is the only real opportunity.

9. Phipps
10. Cooper
12. To'omua

21. White
22. Giteau

I reckon this gives us a chance to examine two combinations that may serve us very well, Cooper/To'omua (historically very good) and To'omua/Giteau (promising in the end of last week's Test). Foley unlucky to not get a crack. If Phipps can keep the pace up and stay accurate/composed he may edge ahead of Genia in the race for the 9 jersey.

11. Tomane
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

23. Mitchell
Tomane comes straight in for Horne (reward for great Super Rugby form). Would be interesting to use him in the same role of midfield defence and offer him a chance to show he could belt blokes and improve his chances of locking down a gig for the year. Tempting to use this game to establish a legitimate back up to Folau (Mitchell?, Beale?, Foley even?)

So there

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Like shelts89's comment about Skelton, that's a weird thing to say about Cheika's first test with proper preparation time and a squad of his selection. It seemed to work quite well once Phipps, Pocock and To'omua came on.

How many players with the exception of injury are different between this squad and the one he had on the EOYT? This is his 6th game in charge if you include the Barbarians.
While our reserves certainly helped, many punters have suggested this concided with several injuries and oddly timed use of the Boks bench. I am not trying to be pessimistic, it was great to come from behind and win. The forwards just don't have enough to dominate regularly.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am surprised Slipper wasn't rested & Smith brought in

He just doesn't look right, but he is there and will be selected

So ................

James Slipper
Stephen Moore (c)
Sekope Kepu
James Horwill
Rob Simmons
Scott Fardy
Michael Hooper
Ben McCalman
Nick Phipps
Bernard Foley
Joe Tomane
Matt To'omua
Tevita Kuridrani
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Israel Folau

Tatafu Polota-Nau
Scott Sio
Greg Holmes
Will Skelton
Scott Higginbotham
David Pocock
Matt Giteau
Nic White

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Disregard (I misread the above post).... Tomane is on the plane to Argentina:

CKPbM5xVEAAHuaI.jpg

So my starting XV:

1 Sio
2 Moore (c)
3 Holmes
4 Simmons
5 Skelton (We need Skelton for the Pumas maul)

6 Fardy
7 Pocock
8 McCalman
9 Phipps
10 Giteau
11 Tomane
12 To'omua
13 Kuridrani
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

16 TPN
17 Slipper
18 Kepu
19 Horwill
20 Hooper
21 White
22 Foley
23 Cummins

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Probably not a bad test to start the reserve props. It will be the hardest test scrummaging wise and we can see where they're really at. Maybe even the whole reserve front row and let Hooper captain.

1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Holmes
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Hooper
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Tomane (plays better away from home, even for the Brumbies)
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. Mitchell
15. Folau

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Kepu
19. Skelton
20. Fardy
21. White
22. Lealiafano
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I wasn't particularly impressed with the Argies' scrum against the ABs but with a backrow of Hooper, Pocock, McCalman I'd expect the Wallabies to take a bit of a beating at scrumtime this weekend.

Agree that the reserve props should start this one, but I'd prefer Toby Smith to be on the bench to James Slipper, just to give Slipper a chance to get his ankles right. Looked to me that he has had some ankle problems for a while and really seemed to be obvious against the Boks. But, of course, as far as I know, Smith isn't on the plane but Faulkner is. Mystifying to me.

Tomane at 11 and Mitchell at 14 for this test is just plain good sense. Hope we get to see it happen.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I wanted to see giteau outside phipps/foley but considering he is out for this test I'd play phipps/cooper/To'omua.

I'd like to see sio and holmes start, but I understand if they dont due to front row combination building

I'd start Skelton. More exposure, plus he's good at defending a maul.

I'd be happy with either tomane or cummins as a replacement for horne. is pretty much "like for like"

I'm expecting fady/hooper/pocock

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
What is it about the Argies putting us in Mendoza all the time - this will be 3 tests on the trot and we haven't played in Buenos Aries since 2002. I'm not bothered about the town or the ground per se, it just seems to be a difficult place to fly to when you have a 7 day turnaround between tests.

The match was originally scheduled for Rosario. No idea when it changed or whether that was just a typo in the draw?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I wanted to see giteau outside phipps/foley but considering he is out for this test I'd play phipps/cooper/To'omua.

I'd like to see sio and holmes start, but I understand if they dont due to front row combination building

I'd start Skelton. More exposure, plus he's good at defending a maul.

I'd be happy with either tomane or cummins as a replacement for horne. is pretty much "like for like"

I'm expecting fady/hooper/pocock

Tomane is twice as dynamic as the Badge, everywhere except interviews.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I'd be extremely surprised if To'omua doesn't start this game. Was probably our best half last time out and his defence betters both Quade and Giteau with his attack on a similar level. Quade is probably the best in-play kicker of the three so I'd like Cooper/To'omua at 10/12 - which is a combo that was exceptional on the 2013 EOYT and I think would be similar again

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Would like to see:

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Pocock
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Kepu
19. Mumm
20. McMahon
21. White
22. Foley
23. Mitchell

Skelton and Fardy dropped from the 23? Really?

Fardy for mine gets another go to show he can get some form back. Skelton was not great but attracted 2 or 3 defenders with each carry, it isn't his fault that the breakdowns were not secured quickly or effectively to capitalise.

Only one of Poccck or Hooper to start and Higgers will be on the bench. So Mumm and McMahon won't be there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wasn't particularly impressed with the Argies' scrum against the ABs but with a backrow of Hooper, Pocock, McCalman I'd expect the Wallabies to take a bit of a beating at scrumtime this weekend.

Agree that the reserve props should start this one, but I'd prefer Toby Smith to be on the bench to James Slipper, just to give Slipper a chance to get his ankles right. Looked to me that he has had some ankle problems for a while and really seemed to be obvious against the Boks. But, of course, as far as I know, Smith isn't on the plane but Faulkner is. Mystifying to me.

Tomane at 11 and Mitchell at 14 for this test is just plain good sense. Hope we get to see it happen.

Agree Slipper should be rested to give ankle time to recover and bring in Toby Smith. Regardless at this stage I think we have seen 4 matchday props largely sorted - more about who starts and who comes on from the bench

Giteau out - so chance to give foley a go to see what offers with different combinations. So start foley To'omua and maybe give Cooper another shot from bench with To'omua in second half.

Like to see Mitchell start to see what offers by having more minutes on the ground. Heard talk thoughts are for Beale on wing.....not something I would have considered but maybe worth an experiment from the bench. Tommane I would have thought safe choice as bench winger.

Skelton.....hmmm......horwill just added so much more - Sort out Kane Douglas visa as we are definitely underdone for locks.

I agree with the experiment of Pocock at 8 as hooper and pocock offer too much and best players so should start and have McCalaman on bench. It worked in second half of SA game so why not at least continue the experiment. That would mean Skelton on bench which I am ok with.

Talk how Kepu had skelton behind him in the scrum so I would start Kepu but rest slipper (and his ankle) and have Sio start with Smith and Holmes on bench. We are definitely richer for Holmes and Sio as back up to Kepu and Slipper compared to Alexander and Robinson.

Higgers - maybe put him on the bench as back up flanker as poor game against Boks but was the form 8 in Australia Super rugby conference so deserves another go.

Biggest thing we have not sorted out for my mine is lock as we do not have required depth. I hope they sort out something with Kane Douglas as key area of weakness that won't win a world cup with unless we fix.

Whilst other problems arose from last game - I think they are solvable with the current squad of players - just need to sort out combinations, starting vs bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.