• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies - Sunday 9th October @ Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Edit: can anyone tell me why Foley wasn't taking those kicks at 45m out. Sure edge of his range ordinarily, but probably in it at altitude. Hodge clearly can't direct his fuck-off huge thunderbastards.
goalkickers.co.za measured those kicks of Hodge at 51m - that's well beyond any kick that Foley has ever made.

His max distance according to the website is 46m, and his accuraccy beyond around 37/38 is pretty low comparitvely.

Even at altitude (which makes around 10% difference apparently) they were too far for Foley
f439260f1d1286c475023f6701c66626.jpg

I know it's been brought up before - but that website is one of the best rugby sites out there. It's amazing

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Edit: can anyone tell me why Foley wasn't taking those kicks at 45m out. Sure edge of his range ordinarily, but probably in it at altitude. Hodge clearly can't direct his fuck-off huge thunderbastards.

Hodge's first kick was accurate but fell short. His other 2 were from the side-lines and Foley is not better at that angle, let along with added distance.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Fuck those glasses have a strong shade of blue Twolims.

Kellaway? Part of the issue with potentially moving Folau to fullback is he doesn't defend there. Which is mostly because Kellaway was terrible under the high ball.

What reasoning do you have to say he should be playing for the Wallabies? Defensively he's a negative because of his high ball issues.

He averaged about 56m per 80 mins which is not really high for a back 3 players, averaged close to 2 knock ons per 80 mins, 2 missed tackles per 80 (for 4 made - 50% success rate).

He had just over 1 line break per game and 2 defenders beaten, but again, back 3 players generally top these stats. And to compare to others, Eto Nabuli had 19 line breaks in 1141 minutes compared to Kellaway with 10 in 772 minutes.

Kellaway should be nowhere near. He's nowhere near safe and he hardly provides the attacking threat to justify selection in spite of it.

Was tongue in cheek buddy. To my credit i dropped Folau. Only a truly impartial spectator would do such a thing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Kicking statistics can be misleading, depending on how many easy ones there are.. Kicks in front (say 30 metres or less) or within 10 metres from the posts shouldn't count.

The vast majority of those kicks could be kicked by many in the team:)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Kicking statistics can be misleading, depending on how many easy ones there are.. Kicks in front (say 30 metres or less) or within 10 metres from the posts shouldn't count.

Unless they miss.. which a player like Lilo did a few times last year. Or Gits did a few times for the wallabies too.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

All stats can be misleading Scrubber but seriously, check out that particular site that Strewthcobber has referenced (LINK). They take into account the difficulty of each kick (distance, angle, altitude, side of field and foot used, home or away etc.) and create rankings that are much less subjective than pure kicking stats (ie Joe Bloggs has kicked at 78% this Rugby Championship).

I wish this sort of resource was available for more aspects of our beloved game!

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Just took a quick gander at that site and noticed a couple of interesting things about Bernard Foley's kicking.
  • Most of his kicks have been taken from the left side of the field in the Rugby Championship (not necessarily surprising, he's a right footed kicker)
  • A lot more kicks were taken from the right side of the field in Super Rugby, and accounted for a lot of his misses
So it's interesting that BF isn't kicking from the right side of the field for the Wallabies (and by extension no one is). Is it better kicking decision making from the Wallabies to not take kicks he's a low percentage making? Is it worse decision making not taking kicks he's still relatively likely to kick? Do the Wallabies just not attack down the right side?
I don't really know the answer, just thought it was interesting.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A good kicker can score from either side, although it is clearly easier to kick from the left side (for a right footer) and vice versa.

I though he showed signs of kicking a bit better against the Pumas. Did not seem to sustain that against the Bokke, maybe the altitude affected his technique?

Having a good, consistent, goal kicker is not an option, it is an absolute necessity.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A good kicker can score from either side, although it is clearly easier to kick from the left side (for a right footer) and vice versa.

I though he showed signs of kicking a bit better against the Pumas. Did not seem to sustain that against the Bokke, maybe the altitude affected his technique?

Having a good, consistent, goal kicker is not an option, it is an absolute necessity.

Foley kicked both his attempts against the Springboks (they were both easy).

Hodge missed all three of his long range attempts.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FP, that may be the case, but unless he's able to convert that into run meters, line breaks, tries, try assists, line break assists or any sort of attacking benefit, I'm not sure how useful it is, or if he actually has it at Super Rugby level or higher.

He does and has, the "stats" will catch up

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Folau needs a rest and/or a shift to the bench as he is out of form. Kafe regards him as an impact player, let him provide that off the bench then for a game.

1. Sio 2. Moore 3. Kepu
4. Coleman 5. Douglas
6. Fardy 8. Timani 7. Hooper
9. Genia 10. Quade 12. Foley 13. Kerevi
11. Hodge 15. DHP 14. Naivalu

16. Hanson 17. Slipper 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Arnold 20. Mumm 21. Houston 22. Phipps 23. Folau

Needs a bit of surgery:

1. Sio 2. Moore 3. Kepu
4. Coleman 5. Douglas
6. Fardy 8. Timani 7. Hooper
9. Genia 10. Quade 11. Hodge 12. Foley 13. Kerevi
14. Naivalu 15. DHP

16. Hanson 17. Slipper 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Arnold 20. Mumm 21. Houston 22. Phipps 23. Folau
There, all fixed.;)
Don't thank me...just make a donation to the Emuarse Rum Foundation.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The Oz saying there are only 2 changes to the starting side:

- Timani in at 8 for McMahon
- Simmons has been dropped for Arnold

Houston to be named on the bench.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
[quote="Brumby Runner, post: 883932, member: 1034

The next big problem will be who covers for Hooper at 7 if he's injured. I don't see anyone really capable of playing 7 in the squad.

I really don't worry about Hooper getting injured. Has to be the most resilient and durable bloke on the field, for either side.[/quote]

Ya wash your mouth out, boy. Asaying things like that sure is temptin the fates.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I really don't worry about Hooper getting injured. Has to be the most resilient and durable bloke on the field, for either side.

Ya wash your mouth out, boy. Asaying things like that sure is temptin the fates.

The reality is that Hooper is one of those players you don't budget a direct replacement for because he will continually play the 80

"If" the worst happens, the team makes do

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The Oz saying there are only 2 changes to the starting side:

- Timani in at 8 for McMahon
- Simmons has been dropped for Arnold

Houston to be named on the bench.

I like those changes. Especially Arnold getting a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.