• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QJRU State Championships 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
1 - 3 July 2016 @ TSS, Gold Coast.

Time is drawing near for the QJRU State Champs to kick off in two and half weeks. Teams across the regions and age groups must by now be in full swing and I heard recently there have been some trial games between Darling Downs, Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast.

Feel free to share your predictions and insights whilst being mindful and respectful that the players are still children - so obviously all the rules of the Schoolboy Rugby thread should be read and adhered to at all times.

Firstly, a big congratulations to all the boys selected into their rep region teams and I look forward to watching as many of the games as possible during the weekend.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how the U16 competition shakes out

This year's U15 Gold Cup had some very good players from NQ, Darling Downs and the Gold Coast Team was very good . Will be interesting to see if this year's JGC players will be back in this comp

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Reds website has announced the two BJRU U12 teams selected for the QJRU State Championships.

The pools and draws for each age group should not be far away now. Final team lists will be interesting as injuries have impacted most sides in 13s and above over the last few weeks.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Typo or strange finals draw in the 14's??

1st vs 3rd
2nd vs 4th

2nd place gets the easier semi final. You'd expect 1v4 and 2v3.. no?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any tips for sneaky parking spots around TSS? Particularly cognizant of the GC Marathon on Sat and Sun

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any tips for sneaky parking spots around TSS? Particularly cognizant of the GC Marathon on Sat and Sun
Across the road from TSS is the Southport Park Shopping Centre carpark which has traditionally been a good spot. Easy walk to the school using traffic lights to cross a busy road. It's more of an unofficial parking spot so be mindful of how Centre Management may react to all the rugby cars taking up their spaces.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Under14's

What a great game today between the u14 heavy weights, with Brisbane Gold scoring a converted try in the dying seconds to win 17-13 over Blue

Gold Coast had a great win over Brisbane Red. This was the first victory over any Brisbane team in the 14s and the GC boys can feel hard done by as they were the only Country team required to play two Brisbane teams in the pool rounds. Although GC only lost to Brisbane Blue, they miss out on a finals spot due to bonus points. Tough luck for GC who I thought were very good.

Brisbane Green had an easy draw which basically had them in the finals before the Champs had begun. Final top 4 standings:

1. Brisbane Green
2. Brisbane Gold
3. Brisbane Blue
4. Sunshine Coast

Crazy I know, but 1v3 and 2v4 and I'm actually thankful of this hiccup because this way we don't see the two best teams meeting each other in the Semi's.

So.. Semi Finals tomorrow:

• Brisbane Green v Brisbane Blue
  • Brisbane Gold v Sunshine Coast

Country

Although the country teams are generally struggling against the Brisbane teams, I see a massive improvement this year and a lot of great talent. The selected Country team should be much stronger this year than last year (if selected correctly).

Best game of the Carnival to-date was between Darling Downs and Rockhampton. Some fantastic play and a sensational try by Rocky #13 who must get a Country jersey for more than reasons than the try itself... well played all round.

I haven't seen much of the other age groups, so it would great to get some updates.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Congratulations to all the boys who made the City and Country teams across the age groups.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
I have video footage of all the Brisbane Blue u14's games and also the u16 Grand Final if people were interested.

I'll post the Dropbox links of these games if there are no objections.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Overall a pretty disappointing process with too much politics involved in the selection of particularly the Under 16 level age groups the Sunnybank selections in the Brisbane Blue and City teams were the particularly on the nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.