• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Scott Gale isn't anywhere near his best this season.
Disappointing to hear this as I really thought he would be pushing Will Thompson for his spot in Premier grade this year and next.
Was one of - if not the most - important cog in Uni's premiership last year. Reads the game exceptionally well and is able to manage it very effectively accordingly.
Would also love to know how Terrin Walls development is also coming along. Very talented athlete.
Same with Hynes from brothers

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Red Heavy From the bits that I've seen, Scotty also isn't getting the quality of ball he was enjoying in colts last year. Given the Prem Colts forwards have been getting some decent game time in Premier Grade, some of the apparent drop in form may be attributed to that? When Will Thompson left the field against Sunnybank at halftime on the weekend Scott stepped in no problem at all.

This weekend will be telling for the Uni Colts' progress. They take on Gold Coast who won 8-6 in Round 2. [That match was EXACTLY as good to watch as the shoreline suggests... ]

Tight loose

Bob McCowan (2)
Scott Gale is certainly getting better as the season goes and maybe it took longer to recover from the knee Injury than expected, I agree that he has not been given a smooth ride behind his forwards this year. Terrin Walls really bulked up in the off season, and IMO at times it appears he is struggling around the field with the extra weight. He has had some very good games and a few average ones. He has played 8,6 and 5 with different combinations every week so maybe that has something to do with it. I think he, Gale and co will be very valuable should uni make the finals as those two in particular seem to like the tail end of the season. Gold coast pack are handy around the field so uni will need to be on the ball or they might get pipped again.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
I have watched Scott Gale since school days and while he is a fine young man he is essentially a HB that is good sitting behind a dominant forward pack. He has a good pass but really has not ever been tested when the going gets tough. We used to say he had the cleanest jersey on the field when he played in school days. That the Uni pack may not be as dominant could be the reason that Gale is having some trouble grappling with this. Ben Hynes from Brothers goes from strength to strength he improves with every game. He is what Brothers epitomise, he has that mongrel that you need to win games. When this young bloke puts on some kgs as he will in the next year or two he will be a force to be reckoned with. Look to see him in prems next year and not far off winning higher honours at a Franchise.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
PIH. You are absolutely correct in your statement. I have every confidence that Wests President Tony Buckley is putting into action a plan that will have these thoughts and guidelines in place. Buckley has worked very hard to bolster the club and has a very creditable record at juniors when pres there he has brought his successful management style to the whole club in the past couple of years and is making some very good decisions to take Wests back to a position of competitiveness in the competition.

Leo Slater

Frank Row (1)
I wouldn't say its the coaching aspect that is letting the premier colts west boys down but its the overall mentality of the team. Due to majority of the team being 1st year colts. I find that they still are playing as they would back at school. The team is relying on individual brilliance rather then playing as a team and sticking to a structure during a game. I watched the Wests vs GPS game down at Yoku rd. Even though in the first half west boys were lacking attacking structure their defense was strong on their own line. In the second half your saw a completely different team, were the boys were being controlled by their halves and the team was moving really well. If the first years this year were to continue playing colts at Wests, they need to stick to a certain structure that suits the team and i think you will find that the team will be competitive for a top 4 position next year.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
Wests V norths saw the same type of game that we have seen all year. Norths were too well drilled and ran over the top of Wests. Again we saw a yellow card and ill discipline for Wests and this cost them. There is some brilliant players in the Wests team but as "leo S" mentions they do not work as a team. Best for wests were the open side flanker the inside centre and the tight head. At one stage when Wests were had a 5 metre scrum on Norths line I saw watched in amazement when the the flyhalf was 7 metres back behind the gainline backing up further before the ball came to him needless to say the inside centre when he got the ball was nearly 10 metres behind the gainline and made no headway. Surely in this case Wests should have been up attacking the 5 metres line behind the scrum for crash ball. This is probably an example of these first timers out of school still playing schoolboy rugby. I know there are other ways to play this but when you don't have fast outside backs you don't spread it out the backline you run it in tight and crash ball on the ad line. Wests defence needs to tighten up, the outside men need to tackle with their shoulders not just arms.

We will see what happens next weekend as they play Norths again at Sylvan Rd for the game that was cancelled.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wests are at rock bottom. You can put as many positive spins on it as you like but Easts got an email today saying Wests have forfeited the rest of the season in colts 1. This is horrendous for such a historically rich premier club. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose even more players now considering they're only team averages only 6 points a game and concedes 42, that is not fun for anyone. Sad day for wests

Harry

Frank Row (1)
Yes was good to see Norths topple Easts. Anyone able to fill a Match report?
I saw that game and it was pretty good. An even contest throughout the game. Here is the Norths team list for that day.
Team for round 10 vs Easts:

1. Wesley Langkilde
2. Bart Ritchie
3. Livi Tuigamala
4. Alex Perez
5. Jordan Jackson
6. Lindsay Ward
7. Cam Ferguson
8. Garrath Ryan
9. James Briskie
10. Adam Harris
11. Josh Parry
12. Sitivi Ualesi
13. Rhett Webster
14. Jordan Ive
15. James Watt

Harry

Frank Row (1)
Wests V norths saw the same type of game that we have seen all year. Norths were too well drilled and ran over the top of Wests. Again we saw a yellow card and ill discipline for Wests and this cost them. There is some brilliant players in the Wests team but as "leo S" mentions they do not work as a team. Best for wests were the open side flanker the inside centre and the tight head. At one stage when Wests were had a 5 metre scrum on Norths line I saw watched in amazement when the the flyhalf was 7 metres back behind the gainline backing up further before the ball came to him needless to say the inside centre when he got the ball was nearly 10 metres behind the gainline and made no headway. Surely in this case Wests should have been up attacking the 5 metres line behind the scrum for crash ball. This is probably an example of these first timers out of school still playing schoolboy rugby. I know there are other ways to play this but when you don't have fast outside backs you don't spread it out the backline you run it in tight and crash ball on the ad line. Wests defence needs to tighten up, the outside men need to tackle with their shoulders not just arms.

We will see what happens next weekend as they play Norths again at Sylvan Rd for the game that was cancelled.
Norths Premier Colts Team Vs Wests on 22 June. Won by Norths 55-5.
Tries to: Jordan Ive 3, Jordan Jackson, Wes Langkilde, Bart Ritchie, Zach Blair, Christian Filipine & Adam Harris. And Adam Harris kicked 4 conversions and Andrew Shipp 1 conversion.

1. Wesley Langkilde
2. Bart Ritchie
3. Livi Tuigamala
4. Alex Perez
5. Jordan Jackson
6. Lindsay Ward
7. Christian Filipine
8. Garrath Ryan
9. Andrew Shipp
10. Adam Harris
11. Zach Blair
12. Sitivi Valesi
13. Rhett Webster
14. Jordan Ive
15. James Watt
RESERVES
16. Panashe Muriza
17. Jordan Matila
18. Chris Bierman
19. Josh Parry
20. Kane Zalewski

Horseman

Frank Row (1)
Norths followers, how would you rate the progress of your 13, he is transitioning from league to union this season. He is the younger brother of Jake Webster, of Melbourne Storm fame.

Harry

Frank Row (1)
Norths followers, how would you rate the progress of your 13, he is transitioning from league to union this season. He is the younger brother of Jake Webster, of Melbourne Storm fame.
Rhett is one of a large group of players in Norths team that are league players who have made the switch to union. Most notable are Webster,Harris and Zalewski. The former two are ex Broncos development players while all three are ex Norths Devils Meninga Cup players. Rhett is in his first season of Union while Adam and Kane are both in their second season. I think in his first season Rhett is adapting well in both defense and attack although I think he has lost some pace compared to 14 months ago when I last saw him play league.

Tight loose

Bob McCowan (2)
Haven't seen all the scores, but was surprised to see Norths nearly topple Souths, infact I believe Norths bombed a try to win (heard that second hand though) I watched Uni deal to Easts, and I thought that would have been a lot closer. Uni finally had the majority of there better players on the field at the same time (still missing a few) but goes to show IMO that some of their hot and cold form could be addressed with consistent availability of all players.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Based on what we've seen so far, anyone got predictions for QLD u/19 team?
I'll have a crack at one.

15. Jake McIntyre
14. Isaiah Mosese
13. Rhett Webster
12. Ralph Evalu
11. Keeghan Sefton
10. Sam Greene
9. Scott Gale
8. Jack Cornelsen
7. Michael Gunn
6. Conor Mitchell
5. Adam Korczyk
4. ??
3. ??
2. ??
1. Feleti Kaituu

I imagine they'd look At picking players who have had a taste of premier and reserve grades throughout the year, which seems to be quite a lot this year

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)

15. Jake McIntyre
14. Isaiah Mosese
13. Rhett Webster
12. Ralph Evalu
11. Keeghan Sefton
10. Sam Greene
9. Scott Gale
8. Jack Cornelsen
7. Michael Gunn
6. Conor Mitchell
5. Adam Korczyk
4. ??
3. ??
2. ??
1. Feleti Kaituu

I imagine they'd look At picking players who have had a taste of premier and reserve grades throughout the year, which seems to be quite a lot this year
And I've forgotten Jonah Placid..

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

15. Jake McIntyre
14. Isaiah Mosese
13. Rhett Webster
12. Ralph Evalu
11. Keeghan Sefton
10. Sam Greene
9. Scott Gale
8. Jack Cornelsen
7. Michael Gunn
6. Conor Mitchell
5. Adam Korczyk
4. ??
3. ??
2. ??
1. Feleti Kaituu

You'd have to throw in a few Brothers players as well mate, I'm not saying that is a arrogant way, but Brothers are topping both Prems and Prem Colts at the moment. James the 10 and Hyne 6 would be definite if they're both under 19.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
You'd have to throw in a few Brothers players as well mate, I'm not saying that is a arrogant way, but Brothers are topping both Prems and Prem Colts at the moment. James the 10 and Hyne 6 would be definite if they're both under 19.
I would agree with you, but only for a bench spot. He back row have been regular starters for their clubs premier grade teams, I suppose you could put Ben Hyne in second row. Paddy James would get a bench spot, behind Greene and McIntrye for the fact that they have played premier grade all year and McIntyre playing AUS 20s. From the 4 or 5 games I've seen brothers play, IMO it seems at rather than having star players, they work well as a team, which may or may not enhance there rep selections

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would agree with you, but only for a bench spot. He back row have been regular starters for their clubs premier grade teams, I suppose you could put Ben Hyne in second row. Paddy James would get a bench spot, behind Greene and McIntrye for the fact that they have played premier grade all year and McIntyre playing AUS 20s. From the 4 or 5 games I've seen brothers play, IMO it seems at rather than having star players, they work well as a team, which may or may not enhance there rep selections
There is a very fine line between picking out of form players in out of form teams because they are apparently better individuals. (Evidenced by the wallabies regularly) I agree with the u19s playing premier grade for successful clubs should be considered higher, but players like Sam Green have only shown that they can successfully consistently lose rugby games. So Far my team would be:
1. Feleti Kaituu Souths
2. Francois Postal bro
3. Tom Moloney bro
4. Adam Korczyk Uni
5. Ben Hyne bro
6. Nick Crookes Souths
7. Michael Gunn easts
8. Connor Mitchell Uni
9. Adam Deck easts
10. Paddy James
11. Keegan Sefton
12. Jake McIntyre
13. Ralph Evalu

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry ^ 14. Charles Tenakaka bro
15. Jonah placid
Crooks and Hyne have dominated in colts in successful teams and both played premier grade in top 4 teams they have to get a spot along with the Uni few. Cornelson would only miss out for me because of a lack of physical stature at the moment. Very skillful and athletic but not very worrying to anybody in defense or at breakdown time. I'm sure he will get that as his frame fills out though. You can't pick mosesi after 1 game in which I heard he did very little. And you can't pick Webster out of Norths because he 'might' be good in the future when their are kids who are tearing it up right now. Obviously this is just my opinion but I'm sick of players getting picked on previous accolades or ideas. Pick players who are in form right now in in form teams.....

Status
Not open for further replies.