• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passive Observer

Bob McCowan (2)
I would agree with you, but only for a bench spot. He back row have been regular starters for their clubs premier grade teams, I suppose you could put Ben Hyne in second row. Paddy James would get a bench spot, behind Greene and McIntrye for the fact that they have played premier grade all year and McIntyre playing AUS 20s. From the 4 or 5 games I've seen brothers play, IMO it seems at rather than having star players, they work well as a team, which may or may not enhance there rep selections[/quote]

I hope you don't expect to be taken seriously with comments like this "Rugbywatch"?! I know you mustn't when you go on to add that "Isaiah Mosese" should be included in the U19 side "based on what (you) have seen so far ...". The lad may have been a good player at school but after the first two games he has played for Brothers U19 he will be lucky to keep his spot. In fact, I am surprised that he was elevated to Prem. Colts so quickly given the form of the wingers that have been playing - it's certainly not characteristic of Brothers to promote players based on past performances nor should it be at any level. Having said that, I hope Isaiah does find his feet & return to his best but he has some work ahead of him.

Out of curiosity, at what point does a player become a "star player"? I hope it's not limited to High School otherwise Australia would certainly have missed out on a lot of sporting talent across all sports.

As for James & Hyne, both lads have acquitted themselves well when they have played Prem. Grade for Broithers in the games I have seen. I'd go so far as to say they have both had an impact when they have come on to the field - breaking tackles, setting up their support & tackling well. Just because they are not starting in Prem. Grade does not necessarily mean they are not up to the task. With the exception of Connor Mitchell, I'd doubt very much whether the other Uni boys would start in Prems at Brothers & even then, Mitchell would struggle, not that he is not a talent ... IMO.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
I do agree with what your saying, but the fact of the matter is, all underage rep teams are picked on name, whether we like it or not. Players are picked on what they have done in previous years rather than what they are currently doing. I definetly agree that Paddy James is a better player than Sam Greene, but Greene an so called "schoolboy star" is on the radar of many for some reason.

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
I do agree with what your saying, but the fact of the matter is, all underage rep teams are picked on name, whether we like it or not. Players are picked on what they have done in previous years rather than what they are currently doing. I definetly agree that Paddy James is a better player than Sam Greene, but Greene an so called "schoolboy star" is on the radar of many for some reason.

Paddy James has fantastic vision as a playmaker and ball runner, but everyone loves the boot of Sam Greene. It's quite rare to find a bloke who can kick the pill so far with such accuracy while he's still young. That's why he's on the radar.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)

How'd did you come to that conclusion Rugbywatch? I don't believe there are statistics to back up your argument, you only have your personal opinion.

It's kind of hard to compare Apples to Oranges.

Paddy James plays Colts? If so he is a boy amongst boys.
Sam Greene I believe has played every minute of premier grade for Wests. A boy playing amongst men.

I believe premier Colts rugby is closer to the level of GPS School rugby then premier Colts rugby is to premier grade rugby

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
How'd did you come to that conclusion Rugbywatch? I don't believe there are statistics to back up your argument, you only have your personal opinion.

It's kind of hard to compare Apples to Oranges.

Paddy James plays Colts? If so he is a boy amongst boys.
Sam Greene I believe has played every minute of premier grade for Wests. A boy playing amongst men.

I believe premier Colts rugby is closer to the level of GPS School rugby then premier Colts rugby is to premier grade rugby

If premier colts is closer to the level of gps school rugby then why are so many boys more so this year than most able to make the jump to premier grade whether it be off the bench or starting. Every club has had at least 1 colt play time in premier grade. If Paddy James was given the same opportunity as Sam Greene, I do believe he would excel as well, because as previously stated on the page before by a brothers follower, has more than held his own when making the jump to premier grade to a top 4 team. Your also forgetting that Paddy is a year younger than Sam.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
:rolleyes: Hmm.

Care to elaborate?
I just think that kids who play premier should not automatically be considered better then those who don't. In some cases it is warranted for example Crooks from Souths and Korczyk and Mitchell from Uni have demonstrated that they earned those spots by being picked when everybody was fit and forced other premier players down to reserve grade, however some have played premier grade because of a lot of injuries and a lack of depth In their clubs grades (dalgliesh, cornelson, etc). You cant tell me that Sam Greene would be playing premier at any of the top four or even top 6 teams. Therefore in my opinion should not necessarily be automatically held in higher regard than any of the 10's playing in dominant colts teams.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
If premier colts is closer to the level of gps school rugby then why are so many boys more so this year than most able to make the jump to premier grade whether it be off the bench or starting. Every club has had at least 1 colt play time in premier grade. If Paddy James was given the same opportunity as Sam Greene, I do believe he would excel as well, because as previously stated on the page before by a brothers follower, has more than held his own when making the jump to premier grade to a top 4 team. Your also forgetting that Paddy is a year younger than Sam.

My counter argument to that is a rule change in 2013.

Where as Colts are now allowed to play reserve grade footy and not ruin their eligibility in premier colts.

To me that rule change indicates that the QRU believes most boys are not ready to make the step to premier grade & that allowing then to being able to play reserve grade therefore gives then more opportunities to play a higher level of footy albeit at a less competitive one.

I do believe there is some fantastic talent in colts a every club generally has 1 u player you can plug and play into a premier grade era but overall most of the colts squad would be hard pressed reserving for premier grade.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I just think that kids who play premier should not automatically be considered better then those who don't. In some cases it is warranted for example Crooks from Souths and Korczyk and Mitchell from Uni have demonstrated that they earned those spots by being picked when everybody was fit and forced other premier players down to reserve grade, however some have played premier grade because of a lot of injuries and a lack of depth In their clubs grades (dalgliesh, cornelson, etc). You cant tell me that Sam Greene would be playing premier at any of the top four or even top 6 teams. Therefore in my opinion should not necessarily be automatically held in higher regard than any of the 10's playing in dominant colts teams.

You didn't answer my question how Sam Greene is single handily losing games for Wests week in & week out. Seems to me u want to take a cheap shy at the kid without elaborating why & how he is losing games for Wests?

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
You didn't answer my question how Sam Greene is single handily losing games for Wests week in & week out. Seems to me u want to take a cheap shy at the kid without elaborating why & how he is losing games for Wests?
Sam is always going to possess selections doubts. Should he have been left in colts for a year or were they right in blooding him in premier grade? The fact of the matter is wether or not he is up to it, at the end of the day he is leading point scorer in Premier Rugby, a pretty good achievement for someone first year out of school. Are there better fly halves in colts? I do believe so, but Sam has taken his opportunity and has the stats to prove it.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
You didn't read the post correctly, I said he consistently loses games (wests are 5 wins 8 loses and have conceded more points then they've scored) which relates back to my original statement about picking kids playing in poor premier grade teams over kids playing in dominant colts teams because they are under a dominant premier team.... It's not a personal attack on Greene it's just my opinion that he is not the best under 19 fly half. Jonah placid plays colts because he is behind Aidan toua, does that mean we pick the young Gold Coast kid who has been playing premier grade in front of Jonah??

Tight loose

Bob McCowan (2)
Here's my team for what's worth, it seems to change weekly at the moment!

15. Placid. Easts
14. Khuu. S'bank
13. Evalu. Souths
12. Dalgleish Uni
11. Seefton Souths
10. Greene Wests. Only just ahead of James from Brothers
9. Gale. Uni
8. Hyne. Brothers
7. Gunn. Easts
6. Mitchell. Uni
5. Koryzk Uni
4. Walls Uni. Or Payne Brothers. Both add bulk to the pack
3. ?? No one has stood out to me yet
2. Postal. Brothers
1. Feleti. Souths

Bench would include Cornelson, hooker from Norths, no 10 from Breakers Darcy? McIntyre in there somewhere too.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
1. Ben Tarr - Souths
2. Feleti Kaitu'u - Souths
3. Tom Moloney - Brothers
4. Adam Korczyk - Uni
5. Ben Hyne - Brothers
6. Nic Crookes - Souths
7. Michael Gunn - Easts
8. Connor Mitchell - Uni
9. Adam Deck - Easts
10. Sam Greene - Wests
11. Keeghan Sefton - Souths
12. James Dalgleish - Uni
13. Ralph Evalu - Souths
14. Tom Banks - Uni
15. Jonah Placid - Easts

Notables

#4 Dave Henaway - Souths
#7 Lochey Oppenheimer - Souths
#10 Paddy James - Brothers
#12 Matt Gordon - Souths (just returned from injury)
#8 Jack Cornelson - Uni
#10 Darcy Eason - GC
#3 Dylan Sikimeti - GPS
#9 Scott Gale - Uni
#2 Francois Postal - Brothers

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
You didn't read the post correctly, I said he consistently loses games (wests are 5 wins 8 loses and have conceded more points then they've scored) which relates back to my original statement about picking kids playing in poor premier grade teams over kids playing in dominant colts teams because they are under a dominant premier team.. It's not a personal attack on Greene it's just my opinion that he is not the best under 19 fly half. Jonah placid plays colts because he is behind Aidan toua, does that mean we pick the young Gold Coast kid who has been playing premier grade in front of Jonah??

I'm sorry mate but you wrote

There is a very fine \ but players like Sam Greene have only shown that they can successfully consistently lose rugby games. So Far my team would be:

This statement reads that your pouring on the blame to Sam Greene individually like as if he is the fault we are losing? If you want to talk about the selection politics then go right ahead but Maybe don't make statements like this above as it's open for the wrong type of interpretation.

Anyways one of the reasons why Wests are where they are is we've had a few players (probably the most out of all premier clubs) take up professional contracts start of year/midseason. Linde went to Japan, Leilua headed off to New Zealand & Eyres-Brown went to Romania. That's 20% of a run-on 1st XV (which IMO all 3 players were good enough to make the strongest XV in my eyes) When you compound the fact with the injuries (every club has them) means the Dogs are the same place they were last season, (maybe a spot down on the Premier ladder with the resurgence of Souths) I know we were preseason darkhorse to make noise but unfortunately we did not fire.

I think Sam has played well enough with what's in front of him. He is certainly the best flyhalf at Wests & in fact is the most exciting #10 prospect we've had at the Kennel since our 2006 premiership. As an 18 year old the World is his oyster & I believe he will be a better player for this baptism of fire in premier grade as opposed to the minutes he would of logged had he played COLTS all year.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
I watched the Brothers v Souths games yesterday.

Ben Hyne in Prem Colts & Nic Crookes in Prem's were both outstanding #6's.

Reconfirmed my earlier view that both will make QLD u19's.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No Gold Coast breakers under consideration? They are in finals contention. I watched them yesterday, albeit against a poor sunny coast team, and they had some excellent players.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
I see Levi Aumua is back playing union after 1 and a half seasons in league, single handily won the game for GPS over Norths yesterday, seemed to be there only source of attacking option, and without him IMO wouldn't have got the win. Could he be in consideration for QLD 19s?

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
I see Levi Aumua is back playing union after 1 and a half seasons in league, single handily won the game for GPS over Norths yesterday, seemed to be there only source of attacking option, and without him IMO wouldn't have got the win. Could he be in consideration for QLD 19s?[/quote

I agree totally re the 12 for GPS. He was only attacking option they had, albiet very good. I have watched a fair bit of Norths over the last 4-5 weeks and they are a much improved side from the beginning of the season, very good forwards who have at least matched and on some occasions dominated it with Brothers, Souths and now GPS during this time. Their backs are constantly letting them down unfortunately, moments of brillance followed by very ordinary play.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
In terms of U19 selection at the end of the day the 5/8 will be determined by what structure the coach and selectors want the team to play. If you go with Greene, you will have an excellent kicking game and game plan around a traditional rugby pattern (Greene reminds me of a traditional type 5/8 such as Lynagh). If you go with James you are looking at a much free flowing game, who constantly tests the defensive line either by looking at running himself or putting runners through the hole. They are completely different players however both are very good at what they do.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
In terms of U19 selection at the end of the day the 5/8 will be determined by what structure the coach and selectors want the team to play. If you go with Greene, you will have an excellent kicking game and game plan around a traditional rugby pattern (Greene reminds me of a traditional type 5/8 such as Lynagh). If you go with James you are looking at a much free flowing game, who constantly tests the defensive line either by looking at running himself or putting runners through the hole. They are completely different players however both are very good at what they do.
Having only seen Norths play once, I know there towards the bottom of the ladder, but any players you'd consider for qld 19s?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm going with James, I reckon he is a better 10. I know it comes across as being one-eyed. Works wonders in attack and can kick quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.