• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets - I heard today that Guy Hamilton is now playing league for Easts Tigers after last year finishing the season as Sunybank's Prem Colts 10? Was still eligible for Colts again I believe. Solid player.

Yeah he hasn't been sighted at Biggs Fields this year. He was probably a 7's player in rugby and it will be interesting to see how he goes in league.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Prem Colts GPS 52 def Wests 5

A one sided game, Campbell Magnay also played half a game off the bench and by all reports had a very good game.

Monster

Peter Burge (5)
Prem Colts GPS 52 def Wests 5

A one sided game, Campbell Magnay also played half a game off the bench and by all reports had a very good game.

Jeeps were certainly far too strong even though the doggies created several chances early but couldnt take them.
Jeeps depth is also impressive watching the Colts 1 game. Jayden Rodwell had a barnstorming game and Tuttle distributed cleverly.

The doggies have little depth outside the top 15 so with 4 key forwards out and 3 key backs not starting was no wonder they were eventually over-run (and that the outside channels were vacant too often). After the first 15 -20 minutes thay hardly had teh ball (other than for kickoffs)!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS got a good win over Brothers on the weekend in Prem Colts. Heard it was a particularly tough loss for the Filth coach as it was the first time he saw the potential that slipped through their grasp, apparently Magnay had a monster game.

Anyone from Logan able to tell me how many numbers are in their colts now? There was some talk about the club in the Grades thread and I notice their Colts 2 side is going very well, which is great.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Does anyone know what is happening with Easts Prem Colts? I heard some good things prior to Christmas, then haven't heard much since then (aside from something about a coach leaving), and now I see they're 1-6 on the table.
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/GrassrootsRugby/FixturesResults.aspx

Also, while we're on the table, how have Norths played one more game than every other team? Who did they play it against??

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Watched the whole game. Agree Cam Magnay very good, but the GPS No12 (sorry missed his name) did most of the damage in the midfield. Found plenty of space through the 10/12 channel. Brothers should have/could have put points on in the first 15min pounding the GPS line but a combination of poor options, mistakes and exceptional defense (which I suspect forced the mistakes) had them come up naught.

Jeeps on the other hand shifted the ball better to space, maintained better depth in attack and were generally able to recycle quicker at the breakdown. More so as the game went on.

Plenty of niggle in the game, McNamee in the bin for 10 did not help Brothers cause. Fairly tame send off. I think all were getting very frustrated with the breakdown. Can we get back to if you are off your feet you have no rights and if you are on your feet you have all the rights. Seemed every breakdown had a different variation of what constitutes a ruck.

Overall good win to Jeeps, forwards contest fairly even but maybe narrow points victory to GPS, backs the difference for Jeeps especially through the midfield and their presentation of the ball when tackled.

Should be a very good rematch next round at Crosby.

Addendum: Also watched Logan Colts (II) play a little while back. Well done to coach and players on not only quality of play but manner in which they played the game. Great facilities/grounds. Would not surprise to see Logan in all grades in next few years.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cat it looks like the entire Easts colts program needs an overhaul. Looking at the ladders, Easts Colts 1 have only won two games and their Colts 2 has forfeited three times.

I'm very surprised by this from a club with so many players in juniors and grades.

GPS colts essentially cleared out the coaching ranks for 2014 and its already paying off with all three of the teams very much looking like finals contenders at this early stage anyway.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Watched the whole game. Agree Cam Magnay very good, but the GPS No12 (sorry missed his name) did most of the damage in the midfield. Found plenty of space through the 10/12 channel. Brothers should have/could have put points on in the first 15min pounding the GPS line but a combination of poor options, mistakes and exceptional defense (which I suspect forced the mistakes) had them come up naught.

Jeeps on the other hand shifted the ball better to space, maintained better depth in attack and were generally able to recycle quicker at the breakdown. More so as the game went on.

Plenty of niggle in the game, McNamee in the bin for 10 did not help Brothers cause. Fairly tame send off. I think all were getting very frustrated with the breakdown. Can we get back to if you are off your feet you have no rights and if you are on your feet you have all the rights. Seemed every breakdown had a different variation of what constitutes a ruck.

Overall good win to Jeeps, forwards contest fairly even but maybe narrow points victory to GPS, backs the difference for Jeeps especially through the midfield and their presentation of the ball when tackled.

Should be a very good rematch next round at Crosby.

Addendum: Also watched Logan Colts (II) play a little while back. Well done to coach and players on not only quality of play but manner in which they played the game. Great facilities/grounds. Would not surprise to see Logan in all grades in next few years.
GPS got a good win over Brothers on the weekend in Prem Colts. Heard it was a particularly tough loss for the Filth coach as it was the first time he saw the potential that slipped through their grasp, apparently Magnay had a monster game.

Anyone from Logan able to tell me how many numbers are in their colts now? There was some talk about the club in the Grades thread and I notice their Colts 2 side is going very well, which is great.
Numbers are very strong with approx 60 registered and some quality kids as well. At 1 point we considered splitting but with age group discovering girls and other rugby rep commitments that pop up true numbers are about 12-13 reserves per week on average. Was the correct level to enter at while some players may not agree but they will thank us for the decision if they pull off a successful season. Then next year they will progress to next level and 17s will go in at Colts 2 level. Please be noted most kids are only 17 and under and since we feel BJRU comp does not service these kids anymore colts 2 was a perfect entry level with the right level of duty of care. But the win for the club is a colts program has kick started really well and foundations set to be a continual viable program for Logan for years to come and has corrected the pathway for our juniors

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Cat it looks like the entire Easts colts program needs an overhaul. Looking at the ladders, Easts Colts 1 have only won two games and their Colts 2 has forfeited three times.

I'm very surprised by this from a club with so many players in juniors and grades.

Exactly my thoughts - juniors + reigning Prem grade Premiers = surprising.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
"Watched the whole game. Agree Cam Magnay very good, but the GPS No12 (sorry missed his name) did most of the damage in the midfield."

Sorry, don't ask me why my quote function won't work on my PC.

The GPS 12 would be Henry Devine?

Devine's footwork is sensational, reminiscent of Brett Papworth.

From the little I've seen of Magnay, he could easily graduate to the Reds, at least, over the next couple of years, great size and speed.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Jason Tomane?

Didn't know he was down at Jeeps. Geez they've done heavy duty recruiting at Colts level this year.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Galloper I believe it was Tomane's first or second game for GPS, he had been awaiting clearance from an ACT club. He's a massive bloke and very skilful.

If GPS can't win the Premiership with the talent they have this year they'll be kicking themselves. The back line is red hot.

GPSGPSGPS

Frank Nicholson (4)
The GPS back line is red hot led by Bobby Tuttle who has the potential to be a future Wallaby however it is the forwards who have been most impressive against more fancied opponents. They are one of the toughest packs and most skilful packs I have seen get around Colts for a long time and they understand that with that back line, the pressure is on them to win plenty of ball!!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank v GPS was a great game to watch yesterday, pity about the result. This Dragons team is showing some heart and really stuck it to the GPS boys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Jets, apparently Bobby Tuttle kicked a field goal to win it for GPS? Is that correct? Heard it was a great game.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
bu8uzema.jpg
Pat Morrey is out for even longer for uni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guru13

Frank Nicholson (4)
what a game!! gps v bond today. bond all over them and should of got the win but jeeps managed to scrap away with a 21-20 win to extend there lead at the top but watch out for bond in this second round of games. there coming home strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.