• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Alex Mafi (Nudgee) & PJ van den Berg (TSS) have received the 2015 John Eales scholarships from Bond Uni

http://bond.edu.au/about-bond/news-and-events/news/BD3_032468

Would assume they'd start in Premier Colts for Bond Uni

That's some decent recruitment right there. Back that up with last years scholarship holder McMillan (Is he alive?) and there's 3 players I don't wanna go near.

Exciting times for Bond. To get the scholarship holders once they finish is they key, retention.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wests Bulldogs Premier Colts coach is Fraser Tauakipulu
Good move from wests. Fraser was pretty much the only reason his nephew JJ Taulagi came to uni back in the day. He will have his finger on the paulse in terms of recruitment and is a pretty handy coach.
Looks like wests are moving in the right direction

ruckhudson

Peter Burge (5)
I heard that Wynnum Bugs are looking like fielding Colts next year....possibly even looking like having the numbers to fill two teams. Lets hope the QRU get behind them so they can play together at the same venue and giving them a chance to play at the same grounds as their seniors, it may encourage other subby clubs to start fielding teams again too.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Its not really a QRU decision. It will all depend on which Premier clubs are able to field colts team and how many teams they fill. Obviously with Wynnum not being a Premier club they fall down the ladder but I reckon they will get the opportunity to field teams in the Colts 2 comp for the clubs which aren't able to get numbers for those teams. I just hope the Colts 2 doesn't become lopsided like the 5th grade comp did a few years ago when subbie teams who could only field one team got chucked in and they were clearly stronger, due to only having to field one team.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Does anyone know how the Colts numbers are stacking up at Sylvan Rd and Shaw Rd ? How many teams likely ?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Does anyone know how the Colts numbers are stacking up at Sylvan Rd and Shaw Rd ? How many teams likely ?

Two teams down at Norths. First trial was last night with the full squad geting up over CQ Brahmin by a couple of tries. However Ive Gotta say, some of the CQ boys wouldnt look out of a place in most Prem Colts teams.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The CQ comp is starting to retain some of the more talented footballers in the region instead of losing most of them to league. I am optimistic that in the coming years our rep sides will get stronger and stronger. There are some very good kids coming through and some good people involved in the current coaching structure up here.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
3 weeks between posts on this thread....yaaawn.
So here's the results for Round 1
Prem Colts
0.JPG

Colts 1
1s.JPG

Colts 2
2s.JPG

(Results: http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/draw.aspx?entityid=53087)

I watched Uni & Bond Prems & loved the fwd battle from the getgo. Both sides were straight into it with some big hits & mongrel attitude that lasted the whole match. Scrums & lineouts seemed very clean/efficient for this early in the season & on a very hot day the S&C came in handy for both sides.

I was a little disappointed with the backline moves from both, the ball rarely made it cleanly past #12 but phase ball to wingers was pretty good from UQ. Bond were willing, but it's hard to build momentum when you don't have the ball. All in all a great way to spend a Sat arvo!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Are Sunnybank really strong in Colts this year? Or are Souths very very weak? Can't believe those scorelines. A real trial by fire this year for Nate Nicol in his first year coaching. I wonder if Souths are regretting not going with a bloke who has more coaching experience.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
3 weeks between posts on this thread..yaaawn.
So here's the results for Round 1
Prem Colts
View attachment 5864
Colts 1
View attachment 5865
Colts 2
View attachment 5866

(Results: http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/draw.aspx?entityid=53087)

I watched Uni & Bond Prems & loved the fwd battle from the getgo. Both sides were straight into it with some big hits & mongrel attitude that lasted the whole match. Scrums & lineouts seemed very clean/efficient for this early in the season & on a very hot day the S&C came in handy for both sides.

I was a little disappointed with the backline moves from both, the ball rarely made it cleanly past #12 but phase ball to wingers was pretty good from UQ. Bond were willing, but it's hard to build momentum when you don't have the ball. All in all a great way to spend a Sat arvo!

Wow. Souths might be in a bit of trouble this year. I was very happy with Norths on the weekend. Two full squads and close results. Plenty to work on but there's plenty more time in the season to improve, with most of the boys being first years.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Was a shame to see Logan and Colleges forfeit first round in Colts II. Logan played some great rugby last year and played in the GF against Uni. I thought they might jump up a grade this year. Anyone from Logan (or Colleges) have some insight into if/when they will be back on the paddock ?

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
Are Sunnybank really strong in Colts this year? Or are Souths very very weak? Can't believe those scorelines. A real trial by fire this year for Nate Nicol in his first year coaching. I wonder if Souths are regretting not going with a bloke who has more coaching experience.

Big Dog I recall a lot of State High boys used to head to Souths & Easts, yet there are quite a few SH names in that Sunnybank team. Also, Tualima (SH), Fittock (TSS), Quick are still to front for Sunnybank from 20s. Sunnybank are looking strong & worrying for Souths.

Great to see the Norths results!

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Big Dog I recall a lot of State High boys used to head to Souths & Easts, yet there are quite a few SH names in that Sunnybank team. Also, Tualima (SH), Fittock (TSS), Quick are still to front for Sunnybank from 20s. Sunnybank are looking strong & worrying for Souths.

Great to see the Norths results!
Quick is now in grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.